New Build of AQ 12.1

    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 18, 2009
      All:

      We have just released a new build of Ancestral Quest version 12.1. This
      is build 21.

      The easiest way for you to update your build is to follow these steps:

      1) Run AQ
      2) Open the "Internet" menu
      3) Click on "Check for Latest AQ Release"
      4) Close AQ, so that when you attempt to install the new version, AQ
      won't still be running
      5) Your Internet browser should now be showing you a page with a
      download link. Also at the bottom of the page is a link to review the
      changes since your current build.
      6) Download the basic installer and run it to replace your current build
      of AQ with the latest build.

      Below is a list of the enhancements and changes in this build.

      Gaylon Findlay
      Incline Software

      Changes in Build 21 (9/18/2009)

      General Bug Fixes

      * Family View: A bug was introduced in build 20, in which if you have at
      least 10 children in a family, and scroll the list so that child
      2 is at the top of the list, if you click anywhere in the child list box
      AQ would crash. Fixed.
      * Backup to Flash Drives: In rare cases, if you tried to backup to a
      removable flash drive, AQ would not successfully create the backup file.
      Fixed.
      * Default Backup Folder: If you set the backup folder in preferences, in
      some cases the folder setting would disappear. Fixed.
      * Check Fix: Additional checks were added to the check on a PAF 5 file.
      * Book Reports: If you asked for the option to include fill-in-the-blank
      areas for missing information and a death event was missing for a
      person, AQ would crash when it attempted to print that page. Fixed.
      * Sources: If you have sources for LDS baptisms, they didn't show on the
      Individual Summary report. Fixed.

      Enhancements to nFS Features

      * Pedigree/Family Views: Temple icons no longer show for living individuals
      * LDS Ordinance Reservation Screen: For reserved ordinances, you now see
      not only the name of the person who reserved the ordinance, but the date
      it was reserved, and the e-mail and phone # of the person who reserved
      it, if they have consented to being contacted.
      * LDS Ordinance Reservation Screen: You can choose to have "Submitted on
      <date>" be entered into the local AQ or PAF database as part of the
      reservation process.
      * Create FOR: When the FOR is created, you can choose to have "In
      Progress" entered into the local AQ or PAF database for all ordinances
      on the FOR.
      * Unreserving LDS Ordinances: When you unreserve ordinances, if the
      ordinance field in your local AQ or PAF file shows "In Progress" or
      "Submitted", it will be cleared.
      * Reserve Ordinances/Create Batches Screen: If you already have several
      records in the list, and it is taking a while for AQ to read the records
      from NFS, there is now a "Pause" button that will cause AQ to skip the
      reads so you can immediately start working with the screen. You can
      later "Continue" to read in the NFS records, or read NFS information on
      one record at a time as desired. You can also remove, as a special
      group, all records which were skipped as a means of cleaning up the list.
      * LDS Ordinance Cardholders: If you have added "Contacts" for assigning
      cards, you can now edit those contacts, delete any contacts, and
      transfer all cards assigned to one contact to another contact.
      * Review Batch: A progress bar has been added so as the batch loads, you
      will be able to tell how far along it is.
      * Review Batch: Occasionally the wife's name appeared before the
      husband's on a couple card. For consistency, this has been adjusted so
      the husband's name is always shown first
      * Manage Batches: The "View FOR" button would only work in the past if
      the FOR (PDF file) was still on your disk. Now if it isn't on the disk
      AQ will attempt to get NFS to send another copy.

      Bug Fixes to nFS Features

      * Caching: If you had caching turned on (which is the default), there
      were times when AQ would give a bogus error about not being able to read
      the NFS record. Fixed.
      * Syncing: For some events with descriptions, if you tried to save them
      to NFS, the description wasn't sent properly. Fixed.
      * Syncing: If you tried to update an assertion on NFS that was of type
      "Other", the update would fail. Fixed.
      * Syncing: If your person had a complex name (more than just Given Name
      followed by Surname), NFS might not interpret the name parts correctly.
      AQ would simply send the name to NFS and allow NFS to apply its default
      logic to separating the name parts. AQ now specifies the name parts so
      that NFS can't make a mistake.
      * Syncing Families: If you linked a spouse at the same time as you tried
      to sync marriage facts, the marriage facts would not sync. You'd have to
      sync the facts after linking the spouse. Fixed.
      * Creating FORs: If you first selected more than the maximum number of
      records to be placed on an FOR, thus getting an error from NFS
      indicating that you'd have to select fewer records, and you then created
      the FOR, you would find that the individuals you had deselected would
      still be placed in AQ's batch for the FOR and removed from the list of
      individuals who could be placed on an FOR. Fixed.
      * Review Batch: If a spouse on a couple card was separated in NFS, the
      card in AQ's tracking system might no longer match with NFS. Fixed.
    • register
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 19, 2009
        Gaylon,

        Some nice enhancements. I did find a problem. If I ask AQ to 'reconcile'
        batches I found that AQ hangs. I let it sit for a long time and I have
        replicated this on two databases on each of 2 machines. Not having the
        reconcile feature is a problem.

        I especially like the progress bar. Thanks.

        Eric
        To: AncestralQuest@yahoogroups.com; ancestral-quest@yahoogroups.com;
        ancestral-quest@...; AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [AQ_NFS] New Build of AQ 12.1

        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 19, 2009
          How can I get build 21 installed on my flash drive?

          I downloaded it and installed on my PC, then I wanted to install also on the
          flash drive. (I installed build 20 on my flash drive)

          When I tried to install build 21, I only have the choices of Modify, Repair
          or Remove the installed program on my C drive. There was no choice to
          install on the flash drive?

          Will I have to remove AQ from my PC in order to get it installed on the
          flash drive and then re-install on the PC?

          Thanks,

          Gunilla

          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 19, 2009
            Gaylon,

            This is a wish:

            When I "Manage Submitted Batches", I wish that I could choose maybe two or
            three of the batches at the same time to review. I have had cards printed
            from 3 FORs and I would like to review them all at one time.

            I also have a couple of FORs printed that I don't have the cards printed for
            yet.

            My choices are to review one batch or review all batches. I don't need to
            review the batches that I have no cards printed for yet.

            Is it possible to add the ability to choose more than one batch by holding
            down the shift or Ctrl key?

            Also,

            I still wish that in both the Reserve for Ordinances screen and the review
            screen, that I could sort by the different columns, alphabetically or by PID
            or by RIN. That would be helpful.

            Thanks,

            Gunilla

            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 19, 2009
              I just tried to Reconcile the batches, and it took a while, just as it did
              with build 20, but then it finished, and I had no problem.

              /Gunilla

              To: AncestralQuest@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AncestralQuest%40yahoogroups.com>
              ; ancestral-quest@yahoogroups.com <mailto:ancestral-quest%40yahoogroups.com>
              ;
              ancestral-quest@... <mailto:ancestral-quest%40rootsweb.com> ;
              AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AQ_NFS%40yahoogroups.com>

              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 19, 2009
                Gunilla:

                Both good suggestions. The column sort issue is already on our to-do
                list for the future. The ability to combine or split batches is also
                something we'd like to see done. This thought of selecting just selected
                batches to review is a variation on the theme of combining batches.
                We'll consider it.

                Thanks for the suggestions.

                Gaylon

                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 23, 2009
                  Gunilla:

                  I don't believe I saw anyone answer this, so let me step in.

                  The best way to handle running AQ from your flash drive is to follow
                  these steps:

                  1) Initially install AQ on your hard disk, as usual
                  2) The first time you put AQ onto a flash drive, simply copy the
                  contents of the AQ 12.1 program folder on your hard disk to a folder on
                  your flash drive.
                  3) In the future, as new builds are released, you should follow these steps:
                  a) Install the update to your hard disk, as usual
                  b) Once your hard disk copy is updated, you have two ways to update
                  your flash copy of the program:
                  i) Repeat step 2 above - OR -
                  ii) Simply copy the two files that change with every build:
                  "ancquest.exe" and "aq.1033lng". Occasionally, the help file might be
                  updated, so copy over the "ancquest.hlp" on an XP or earlier system, or
                  "ancquest.chm" on a Vista system.

                  Hope this helps.

                  Gaylon

                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 23, 2009
                    For those of you who may have heard this concern, we contacted Eric off
                    line and found that possibly NFS was running just a little slower on
                    Saturday morning, as Eric tried this again and after giving it
                    sufficient time, the process completed. It doesn't seem to be a problem.
                    I don't believe that any changes were made to the reconcile process in
                    this latest build.

                    Gaylon

                    register wrote:
                    > Gaylon,
                    >
                    > Some nice enhancements. I did find a problem. If I ask AQ to 'reconcile'
                    > batches I found that AQ hangs. I let it sit for a long time and I have
                    > replicated this on two databases on each of 2 machines. Not having the
                    > reconcile feature is a problem.
                    >

                    > I especially like the progress bar. Thanks.
                    >

                    > Eric

                  • register
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 7, 2009
                      I can do most everything I want to do in FS from AQ. I was looking for a
                      means of adding a dispute. I found the following message in the AQ help
                      section but I cannot follow the directions - dumb eh!

                      Any suggestions?

                      The help item is below

                      How to Access: You access this window by clicking the Dispute button within
                      the Edit Event for (Individual) dialog box.

                      Purpose: This window is used to create your dispute for the selected fact or
                      event of this individual.

                      How to Use:

                      Near the top of the window, the Person is identified. Event/Fact indicates
                      the event or fact for which you wish to enter a dispute. If applicable, the
                      Date, Place, and/or Description of the Event/Fact will also appear. Use this
                      information to verify that you have the correct individual and Event or Fact
                      selected.

                      Why do you believe that this information is inaccurate? In this area, you
                      will type up the reason for your dispute. You may enter source information
                      or other substantial reason for your dispute.

                      Click the Dispute button to save your dispute record and close the window.

                      Click Cancel to close this window without submitting a dispute.

                    • Scott Scheibe
                      Message 10 of 20 , Oct 9, 2009
                        At 09:11 AM 10/7/2009, register wrote:

                        When you are reviewing an individual look at the data you want to
                        dispute, on the right side there is an icon that looks like a
                        magnifying glass. Click on it and it will open another window with
                        several options along the bottom, one is dispute, click on it enter
                        the reason why, save it and close the window.

                        >I can do most everything I want to do in FS from AQ. I was looking for a
                        >means of adding a dispute. I found the following message in the AQ help
                        >section but I cannot follow the directions - dumb eh!

                        Scott Scheibe
                        dsscheibe@...
                        <http://scottsworld.info/gene.htm>

                        Descendants of Capt. Henry WOODWARD
                        <http://woodward.scottsworld.info/>
                      • register
                        Message 11 of 20 , Oct 31, 2009
                          I am looking for a strategy to maintain my synced records. That is, once I
                          have every record synced I need a strategy to update FS when my records
                          change and update my records when FS changes.

                          I can use the 'check for changes' in the FamilySearch menu. I suppose this
                          will return any records that have changed in FS since I synced. I am not
                          certain. I get unexpected results.

                          That should take care of the FS changes but what of the changes in my
                          records? If I was diligent I could keep a list or I could sync every time
                          I change one of my records. This I consider too onerous.

                          I can use AQ to provide a report/list of those AQ records that I have
                          changed since any selected date. This is my best idea so far and only
                          demands that I remember when I last called for this report. Once I have the
                          list I can 'review'.

                          I was hoping that the AQ 'check for changes' would check for changes both
                          locally and remotely but it seems that is not happening. Have I missed
                          something? What do others do? I really do not want to have to start at 'A'
                          and go to 'Z' again.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 4, 2009
                            Eric:

                            AQ currently has three things in place to handle this. Well, 2 are fully
                            in place, and the third is partially implemented.

                            1) When you sync a record w/ NFS, AQ records the current version # of
                            the NFS record. When you use the "Check for Changes" button, AQ compares
                            these version #s against the current version # on NFS. If the NFS record
                            sports a new version, then AQ lets you know that something has changed
                            in the NFS record. I am not sure that this is 100% reliable, but it is a
                            good start.

                            2) AQ also records, when you sync w/ NFS, the current status of the main
                            events in your AQ or PAF file. We hope to someday have AQ compare that
                            snapshot of information with the current information in your file, so AQ
                            can alert you that changes have been made on the local side. This is
                            only half done, so you can't use it yet.

                            3) AQ has had, for 6 years now, the ability to record details about
                            every change you make to the file. This is only available for an AQ
                            file. The PAF file has a form of this which will tell you which records
                            have changed, but won't record the details. This less detailed form of a
                            change log has been around in both AQ and PAF since 1999. In either
                            case, go into the Preferences screen, then to the Database tab and turn
                            on the Change Log.

                            Gaylon

                            register wrote:

                            > I am looking for a strategy to maintain my synced records. That is, once I
                            > have every record synced I need a strategy to update FS when my records
                            > change and update my records when FS changes.
                            >

                            > I can use the 'check for changes' in the FamilySearch menu. I suppose this
                            > will return any records that have changed in FS since I synced. I am not
                            > certain. I get unexpected results.
                            >
                            > That should take care of the FS changes but what of the changes in my
                            > records? If I was diligent I could keep a list or I could sync every time
                            > I change one of my records. This I consider too onerous.
                            >

                            > I can use AQ to provide a report/list of those AQ records that I have
                            > changed since any selected date. This is my best idea so far and only
                            > demands that I remember when I last called for this report. Once I have the
                            > list I can 'review'.
                            >

                            > I was hoping that the AQ 'check for changes' would check for changes both
                            > locally and remotely but it seems that is not happening. Have I missed
                            > something? What do others do? I really do not want to have to start at 'A'
                            > and go to 'Z' again.
                            >

                            > Eric

                          • register
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 4, 2009
                              Gaylon,

                              That is a big help. I have used the change log since day 1 and find it
                              great. Only 1 question:

                              I don't understand what you mean by the version # of NFS record. This does
                              not sound like the NFSID,. Or is it? Can I see the version #?

                              Eric

                              Subject: Re: [AQ_NFS] changed records

                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 4, 2009
                                Eric:

                                The version # is not the NFS PID.

                                AQ does not show you the version #. It is there, and it changes whenever
                                anything affects the NFS record.

                                Sort of.

                                Prior to the August release of NFS, the version number changed when
                                anything affecting the person changed, including relationships. After
                                the August release of NFS, the version number no longer changes when a
                                person's relationships change, so it has a less complete meaning now.

                                By the way, if you use the Family Sync screen of AQ, and notice that
                                there are parents or children on the NFS side with the name of
                                "Unknown", this is due to the way AQ is expecting the version # to
                                change for relationships, and when it no longer does, AQ's family sync
                                logic is thrown off if a relationship has changed. The work-around for
                                this is to turn off NFS caching within AQ, so that AQ won't rely on the
                                version number anymore. The next build of AQ will largely disable NFS
                                caching so you won't have to be concerned about this.

                                Gaylon

                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 9, 2010
                                  All:

                                  We have just released AQ 12.1 build 24. It fixes most of the problems
                                  reported in build 23.

                                  The easiest way to get the new build is to:

                                  1) Run AQ
                                  2) Go to the "Internet" menu, then to "Check for Latest AQ Release"
                                  3) Once your browser shows you the page from which you can download the
                                  new build, close AQ
                                  4) Run or download the "Basic" installer.
                                  5) If you downloaded the installer in step 4, run it once it has
                                  finished downloading.

                                  The list of fixes and enhancements is below.

                                  Gaylon Findlay Incline Software

                                  ===============================

                                  *General Enhancements*

                                  * AQ Newsline: Each time you start AQ, it will show you news about
                                  the software, updates, training, or other items pertinent to family
                                  history.

                                  *General Bug Fixes*

                                  * Family View: The display of Age at marriage and death, introduced
                                  in build 23, sometimes did not fit in the display box. Fixed.

                                  *Enhancements to nFS Features*

                                  * Login to NFS: The new "LDS Account" is now accepted by Ancestral
                                  Quest. NOTE: This was not a change made to AQ, but by FamilySearch about
                                  the same time as this build was released. (Even if you still keep build
                                  23, you should be able to login to NFS with the LDS Account.)
                                  * Group Link: If you link groups of individuals through the Group
                                  Link feature, and choose the "Link Only" option, this will now process
                                  much more quickly.

                                  *Bug Fixes to nFS Features*
                                  NOTE: All the following bugs were introduced in build 23 as a result of
                                  changes both to NFS and to AQ. These bugs were not present in earlier
                                  versions. They have all been fixed in build 24.

                                  * Login by non-LDS Users: The login failed for users with an NFS
                                  account who were not members of the LDS faith -- there is a difference
                                  in how the login is completed in new.familysearch.org. Fixed.
                                  individuals in the FamilySearch database -- most common with IOUSs -- AQ
                                  might crash during the load. Fixed.
                                  * Adding Parents: In the Family Sync screen, if you added two new
                                  parents from NFS to a child in your file, and also added parent to child
                                  facts, AQ would successfully add the parents, then crash when trying to
                                  record the parent to child facts. Fixed.
                                  * Adding Person to NFS: If you added a person from your local file
                                  to NFS, and this person had a gender of Unknown, the gender was not
                                  written to the FamilySearch record. Fixed.
                                  * Auto Syncing Family Members: If, in builds of AQ 12.1 previous to
                                  23, you had selected the option to automatically sync data, then you had
                                  hidden the option screen for this selection, AQ would crash when trying
                                  to sync a local record with the NFS record. Fixed.
                                  * Delete of NFS Person: Some relationships to the person might not
                                  have been deleted at the time the person itself was removed. Fixed.
                                  * Connecting of Spouses in NFS: If you had parents in your local
                                  file for an individual, and FamilySearch had records of the same
                                  parents, but did not have them linked as parents in NFS, AQ attempts to
                                  link the NFS records together as child and parents. This was failing in
                                  build 23. Fixed.
                                  * Legacy Contributions: If you had claimed legacy submissions as
                                  your own, AQ would not allow you to modify or remove data from the
                                  submissions under a prior different ID. Fixed.
                                  * Relationship Facts: While you could add relationshp facts to NFS
                                  using AQ's Family Sync screen, you could not modify or delete them. Fixed.
                                  * Linking Spouses: If you had previously linked two NFS spouses
                                  together, then deleted the relationship using NFS, AQ was unable to link
                                  them back together. Fixed.
                                  * Gender: If you were the contributor of the gender of a person, AQ
                                  should have allowed you to change the gender. It didn't in build 23. Fixed.
                                • Scott Scheibe
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 10, 2010
                                    At 11:11 PM 4/9/2010, Gaylon Findlay wrote:

                                    I have not been able to get either version to install. It starts and
                                    then ends with this error " 1607 unable to install shield scripting runtime."

                                    Scott Scheibe
                                    <mailto:dsscheibe@...>
                                    <http://scottsworld.info> Scott's website
                                    <http://dsscheibe.blogspot.com> Scott Blog
                                    <http://members.cox.net/dsscheibe/vws/> Scott's Weather Station
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Dec 15, 2010
                                      All:

                                      We released a new build 27 of AQ 12.1 earlier today. This build
                                      initiates a new era for Ancestral Quest. Prospective users can now
                                      download Ancestral Quest Basics absolutely free. We have done away with
                                      the 60-day trial period. For those of you who have already registered
                                      your copy of AQ, you wouldn't need to upgrade to this build for this
                                      adjustment.

                                      We also fixed two issues that crept up as a result of the December 2010
                                      release of New FamilySearch this last Monday. And there were a few other
                                      minor fixes and enhancements.

                                      The list is below,

                                      Gaylon

                                      * General Enhancements

                                      Translation to non-English Languages: Moved several text items to the
                                      translation tables.

                                      * Enhancements to nFS Features

                                      Manage Batches: Added a 'Find' button that lets you search for an
                                      individual. If the individual is in one of the batches, the batch will
                                      be highlighted for you.

                                      * Bug Fixes to nFS Features

                                      Review and Synchronize FamilySearch Person with Local Person screen: A
                                      bug was introduced in build 26, wherein if you stretched this screen
                                      extremely wide, the check boxes could cover up part of the dates. Fixed.

                                      LDS Ordinance Reservation screen: A bug was introduced in build 26,
                                      wherein if you had checked the "Keep Together" box, but selected any
                                      ordinance other than Baptism, then the other ordinances would adjust to
                                      the selection, but Baptism would not. Fixed.

                                      95 Year Rule: Starting with the December 2010 release of nFS (12/13/10),
                                      notifications about the 95 year rule were issued when AQ checked the
                                      status of ordinances. AQ improperly showed this notice each time you
                                      reviewed a person who had died within the last 95 years. Fixed.

                                      Logout: With the December 2010 release of nFS (12/13/10), AQ was no
                                      longer able to logout from its connection with nFS. This didn't cause a
                                      problem, as this almost always happened as the user exited the program.
                                      But AQ presented a message indicating that there was a problem. AQ now
                                      properly logs out.
                                    • Margaret Thompson
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Dec 15, 2010
                                        Gaylon,

                                        I am running Win7-64bit. When I try to run build 27 it tells me the program
                                        is not a Win32 application. Tried running it from the web and also saving
                                        the file and running it off the HDD. Help would be appreciated.

                                        Margaret

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Dec 18, 2010
                                          Several questions this morning.

                                          1. Does AQ deal with nFS discussions in any way?
                                          2. Upon checking for changes AQ does not appear to recognize changed
                                          ordinances as a change, nor discussions as a change.

                                          I hope someone can shed some light on this.

                                          Eric

                                          -----

                                          No virus found in this message.