sources in nFS

  • cleadieb
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 11 1:10 PM
      1) How many sources should one enter in nFS for a given event? I have several sources for Births, Deaths, etc for a given individual. Should I enter all of them, or just pick out what I believe to be the best one?

      2) How should census records be recorded? (For Birth, or as a note to a Birth record?)

      Wish List: A button to memorize a source record, such as in PAF, so I don't have to type a source a dozen time for one family. The drop down duplication is good but you still have to hit every block.

      Cleadie
    • George Wright
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 11 3:01 PM
        Here is how I have entered census records for my ancestors:

        Log onto new.familysearch.org

        After entering your ancestor data, click on Details, then Event Information

        Click on Add Information: choose Other (event type not listed), click Continue

        In Title, enter the word Census.
        In Date, I enter On and the official date of the census (not the date of enumeration). However, you can enter what you wish.
        In Place, I enter the location from the enumeration sheet (township or post office, county, and state). However, you can enter what you wish.

        I enter the source data under Edit Event. I personally follow the format listed by Elizabeth Shown Mills in Evidence Explained: Citing History Sources from Artifacts to Cyberspace.

        Take a look at the census entries for my grandfather under nFS person number KZQ4-73V. Click on Edit to examine the source data.  I consider a census entry  to be an event, not a personal fact (Since the census bureau's enumerator instructions say to enter the information of an specific date).

        I'm not saying this is the correct or only or best way to make a census entry, but it seems to me to make sense and results in information that should be useful to others.

        George Wright
        Encinitas, California

        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 13 5:30 AM
          Thanks for the reply. That is about the same as I use.

          What I should have asked is, should the census records be added if better birth records cane be found?

          Cleadie

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 13 7:50 AM
            When I started using nFS and trying to clean up my line on nFS it was a
            daunting task. AQ has made that a pleasant task. It has always bothered me
            that I may have to repeat the update task again and again to see if anyone
            else has edited any records in which I am interested. AQ makes it easy for
            me to see what records in nFS have changed by running 'changed familysearch
            records'. It is pretty easy to review this list. My problem is that I will
            be making changes in my own data and I am looking for an easy way to keep
            track of this so I know which records to resynchronize.

            I can create a list of records changed after a certain date but is there
            another way? Does AQ have an easy way to do this? What do you do?

          • register
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 13 8:56 AM
              Is there an easy way to copy notes from nFS to my data?

            • George Wright
              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 13 10:35 AM
                I enter birth and census enumerations as separate events.

                If a person has an official birth certificate, I consider this to be a premier piece of evidence for date and place of birth, as well as parent's names. It is a contemporaneous record with information provided by the people people involved. Personally, I would not bother entering a census enumeration in addition to a birth certificate in this case.

                However, if a birth certificate doesn't exist, I would consider a census enumeration as showing a good approximation of date and place of birth. I would therefore enter it as a source for the date and place of birth. My father, for example, was born in 1910. Birth certificates were not issued in his birth county until 1912. The census information his parents provided when he was several months old provide the source information for his birth.

                A census enumeration for a child provides "good" evidence as to parentage. However, it is not contemporaneous and the parents listed on a census return are "probably" the biological parents (before the late 1800's, adopting a child was a lot like adopting a kitten).

                George E. Wright
                Encinitas, California

                ____________ _________ _________ __

                Instant Messaging, free SMS, sharing photos and more... Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger at http://ca.beta messenger. yahoo.com/

                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 13 4:26 PM
                  All:

                  We have just finished creating a new feature in AQ to synchronize data
                  with nFS. Before we release this to all users, we would like to ask
                  those of you who are interested to download a special patched version of
                  AQ and test this feature.

                  You can download the patched file from this link:

                  http://www.ancestralquestonline.com/updates/files/latest.zip

                  After you download this file, exit AQ and then extract the two files
                  contained in this file to your AQ program folder. Normally, this folder is:

                  "c:\Program Files\Incline Software\Ancestral Quest 12.1"

                  This will replace 2 of the program files for AQ. After you extract these
                  files, the next time you run AQ it should show today's date (4/13/2009)
                  in the About screen. It will still show that it is build 16.

                  Thank you in advance to those who are willing to test this new feature
                  on a copy of their database. Descriptions below.

                  Gaylon Findlay
                  Incline Software

                  ==========================

                  Here is a description of the NEW FEATURE:

                  This is found when initially linking a local record with the NFS person.
                  The title of the screen is "Link (Sync) *name* with FamilySearch. It is
                  accessed when you choose the FamilySearch menu item "Link (Sync)
                  Individual", or when you are doing a group sync, and you preview a
                  matched record.

                  You will see a new button at the bottom of the screen labeled, "LDS".
                  This button will bring up a new screen that lets you see just the
                  pertinent information for downloading your local record with LDS
                  ordinance information from New FamilySearch. You do not have to link
                  your record with the FamilySearch record to transfer the LDS ordinance
                  information. You could, in turn, select each of the possible matching
                  records from FamilySearch, and use this new screen to compare the LDS
                  ordinance information between your local record and the selected
                  FamilySearch record. If you see an ordinance you would like to transfer
                  from NFS to your record, you can check the box and save it.

                  Working with the relationship ordinances may require some explanation.
                  You first need to select the parents or spouse on the local (left) side
                  of the screen. If there is an exact match on NFS, AQ will select the
                  matching parents or spouses. If there is not an exact match, you will
                  then need to select the parents or spouses on the NFS (right) side of
                  the screen. Once you have determined that the parents or spouse is the
                  same, then select the ordinance to copy and check the box to confirm
                  that you want to download that ordinance for that relationship.

                  ==========================

                  This patch also fixes the following reported problems:

                  * Check/Fix now finds and fixes additional issues
                  * On Sync Parents/Sib screen, if parents weren't linked, the screen let
                  you select items for main person when it shouldn't have. Fixed.
                  * On Sync Par/Spouse fam screens, if nFS did not have two spouses, AQ
                  would let you try to seal a child. This produced an error in nFS. AQ now
                  warns you that without two spouses you can't seal the child.
                  * On Family Sync screen, if you were adding marriage events for the
                  parents and a child who was already linked was being connected to the
                  nFS family, after the child was connected, AQ would crash when
                  attempting to add the marriage event to nFS. Fixed.
                  * In Build 15 or 16, we introduced a bug when creating book reports and
                  web pages on a PAF file. Fixed.
                  * In the Family Sync screen, we had added a "Mark All" button. Sometimes
                  that marked only some. Fixed.
                  * If an NFS event has multiple contributors, and you are one of them,
                  and you attempt to change the event info, this only worked sometimes. Fixed.
                  * If an extra event contained a description with certain special
                  characters, like "&", this event would not upload to nFS. Fixed.
                  * If you specified, in Preferences, that you wanted the web pages to be
                  created in a particular sub-folder, sometimes the web pages would be
                  generated in the parent folder. Fixed.
                • Neil Hallam
                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 13 10:41 PM
                    Gaylon,
                    I believe I have followed your installation instructions and my "About AQ"
                    now reads Version 12.1.16-4/13/2009 but I do not see the new "LDS" button in
                    the "Link (Sync) *name* with FamilySearch" window.
                    May be I have missed something.
                    Neil Hallam

> [...]
                    > parents and a child who was already linked was being connected to the
                    > nFS family, after the child was connected, AQ would crash when
                    > attempting to add the marriage event to nFS. Fixed.
                    > * In Build 15 or 16, we introduced a bug when creating book reports and
                    > web pages on a PAF file. Fixed.
                    > * In the Family Sync screen, we had added a "Mark All" button. Sometimes
                    > that marked only some. Fixed.
                    > * If an NFS event has multiple contributors, and you are one of them,
                    > and you attempt to change the event info, this only worked sometimes.
                    > Fixed.
                    > * If an extra event contained a description with certain special
                    > characters, like "&", this event would not upload to nFS. Fixed.
                    > * If you specified, in Preferences, that you wanted the web pages to be
                    > created in a particular sub-folder, sometimes the web pages would be

                    17:56:00
                  • register
                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 13 11:05 PM
                      A nice idea. I wish I had it a week ago. The only problem is that it
                      CRASHED. That is the program terminated.

                      I repeated this several times. First I synced with the LDS and then the
                      matching and synced. All looked good, the marriage was sealed, and the
                      ordinances were updated.

                      BUT now if I double click on the person the program terminates. I have
                      repeated this several times with the same result.

                      In fact, when I double click on anyone it exits. This is not good.

                      Eric

                      Eric & Marnie Abell

                      Saanichton, BC, Canada

                      (250) 652 4616

                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 13 11:15 PM
                        To make things more interesting, I tried to edit the person from the Edit
                        drop down menu and then Ctrl-I. They worked just fine. Now double clicking
                        works fine. All this after at least 10 failures.

                        Eric

                        Before sending this message I returned to AQ to check one more time and this
                        time it exited again.

                        OK, so I opened a file that have never used this new feature. Sure enough
                        it failed as well, many times. 2 click or ctrl-I - all failed.

                        Eric

                        <http://www.ancestra

                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 13 11:19 PM
                          Now for some good news. I returned to my earlier version of AQ dated
                          04/06/2009 and it appears to work well so I suspect the new version of AQ
                          was at fault but that the data was not harmed. I am sure we will find out
                          soon.

                          Eric

                          Eric & Marnie Abell

                          Saanichton, BC, Canada

                          (250) 652 4616

                          Message 12 of 28 , Apr 13 11:24 PM
                            Sorry for the many messages but I thought a quick response would help
                            someone else to avoid the problem. Now I find that the file I checked was
                            an old file that I used for practice but now I cannot open any other file.
                            That is, I am stuck with the junk file. I have closed and opened and tried
                            several ways and no way it will look at another file.

                            Now I have a problem.

                            Eric

                            Eric & Marnie Abell

                            Saanichton, BC, Canada

                            (250) 652 4616

                            Message 13 of 28 , Apr 13 11:53 PM
                              Neil:

                              Ahhh.

                              I forgot to mention one thing.

                              The default setting for this screen is to *NOT* show the LDS ordinances.
                              The LDS button is only shown if you change that setting so that you will
                              see the LDS ordinances on that screen.

                              Go into "Preferences" under the "Tools" menu, then select the
                              "FamilySearch" tab and check the box: "View LDS Ordinances when matching".

                              Gaylon

                              Message 14 of 28 , Apr 14 12:00 AM
                                Eric:

                                Without digging into why you can't open another file, there are a couple
                                of suggestions:

                                1) Use "My Computer" to locate another file when you are not running AQ,
                                then double-click on the file
                                2) If it is a PAF file, open it in PAF, then use the Tools menu of PAF
                                to start AQ
                                3) Delete your "ancquest.ini" file. This is the file that remembers
                                which file you were last using (along with your other preferences). Once
                                you delete it, AQ will act like you are running it for the first time.
                                You'll be able to open any other file from the File|Open menu. (The
                                "ancquest.ini" file sits in a folder recommended by Microsoft, and it is
                                different for XP than for Vista. If in XP, it should be in "c:\Documents
                                and Settings\Your Name\Application Data\Incline Software\Ancestral Quest".)

                                Gaylon

                                Message 15 of 28 , Apr 14 5:44 AM
                                  Good idea. It worked. Thank you.

                                  I have now switched back to the patched version 04/13

                                  /2009 and I cannot cause the double click to fail. Go figure.

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Apr 18 7:21 AM
                                    When synchronizing I have seen one of the FS names has an asterisk following
                                    the name. What does this signify?

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Apr 18 8:45 AM
                                      Eric:

                                      If you view the same person in the nFS screens, do you see the asterisk
                                      there? I don't believe AQ puts an asterisk on a name, so it is probably
                                      part of the name.

                                      Gaylon

                                      register wrote:
                                      > When synchronizing I have seen one of the FS names has an asterisk following
                                      > the name. What does this signify?
                                      >

                                      > Eric

                                    • register
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Apr 18 1:38 PM
                                        Thanks, I will watch and record the name next time. Any chance of AQ
                                        providing a list of all symbols used? I am thinking primarily about symbols
                                        I see in front of names when checking spouses and children. Some boxes have
                                        dot - that I found in the help screens. But some are greyed and some are
                                        darker grey and some of the dots are now equal signs. In front of some of
                                        the names there appears a '>'. I list would help - I can find no reference
                                        to these in the help area.

                                        register wrote:
                                        > When synchronizing I have seen one of the FS names has an asterisk
                                        following
                                        > the name. What does this signify?
                                        >

                                        > Eric

                                      • ronaldtilby
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Apr 24 7:16 PM
                                          Eric, An asterisk at the end of a name in NFS is probably carried forward from a transcription of a Family Group Sheet. In former times, some researchers would "tag" their direct ancestors with an asterisk at the end of their name on Family Group Sheets submitted for LDS Temple Ordinances.

                                          Regards,
                                          Ron Tilby
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Apr 27 2:58 PM
                                            Hmmm. Depends on what you mean by easy. Since nFS stores notes per
                                            event, and AQ stores per person or marriage, there is not a one-to-one
                                            correlation. If you go to the "Review Individual" screen under the
                                            FamilySearch menu, you should see a summary of all nFS notes for an nFS
                                            person on that screen. If you then click on the "Notes" button on that
                                            screen, you'll see not only the summary of notes for the nFS person, but
                                            the notes for the local person. You can highlight notes, then use
                                            <Ctrl+C> to copy and <Ctrl+V> to paste notes between the nFS record and
                                            the local individual.

                                            Gaylon

                                            register wrote:
                                            > Is there an easy way to copy notes from nFS to my data?
                                            >

                                            > Eric

                                          • register
                                            Message 21 of 28 , May 7, 2009
                                              Gaylon,

                                              People in our area are exploring AQ and RootsMagic.

                                              The sentence arrived in an email this morning from FamilySearch. It sounds
                                              like an interesting feature.

                                              RootsMagic 4 is the first software affiliate product that is certified to
                                              reserve and submit ancestral names to temples to print LDS temple name cards
                                              using new FamilySearch Web services.

                                              Does AQ have anything in the near future that will enable users to do the
                                              same sort of thing?

                                            • register
                                              Message 22 of 28 , May 7, 2009
                                                To set up favourite sites is straight forward. To search these sites is not
                                                - at least for me. If I could see the entire URL for the default locations
                                                that would help but, alas, I cannot. Can anyone lend a hand or direct me to
                                                a solution?

                                                For example, I want to go directly to FamilySearch Record Search and search
                                                for the selected name in the same fashion as Ancestry.com. I can go
                                                directly to Record Search but cannot get the first and last names and search
                                                to work.

                                                Eric

                                                .

                                                <http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=25229696/grpspId=1709334992/msgI
                                                d=33/stime=1240069700/nc1=1/nc2=2/nc3=3>

                                                Message 23 of 28 , May 7, 2009
                                                  Eric:

                                                  In a word, yes.

                                                  Unfortunately, the FamilySearch system didn't allow ordinance
                                                  reservations when AQ became the first product to synchronize local data
                                                  with nFS. They made that available just shortly before RootsMagic was
                                                  released, so RM was able to fit that in. We have been working for some
                                                  time on a feature that will allow the reservation and tracking of
                                                  ordinances, and hope to have it available soon.

                                                  Gaylon

                                                  register wrote:
                                                  > Gaylon,
                                                  >

                                                  > People in our area are exploring AQ and RootsMagic.
                                                  >

                                                  > The sentence arrived in an email this morning from FamilySearch. It sounds
                                                  > like an interesting feature.
                                                  >

                                                  > RootsMagic 4 is the first software affiliate product that is certified to
                                                  > reserve and submit ancestral names to temples to print LDS temple name cards
                                                  > using new FamilySearch Web services.
                                                  >

                                                  > Does AQ have anything in the near future that will enable users to do the
                                                  > same sort of thing?
                                                  >

                                                  > Eric

                                                • register
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , May 7, 2009
                                                    Gaylon,

                                                    That is good news. I will get the information to our staff.

                                                    Eric

                                                    Eric & Marnie Abell

                                                    Saanichton, BC, Canada

                                                    (250) 652 4616

                                                    register wrote:
                                                    > Gaylon,
                                                    >

                                                    > People in our area are exploring AQ and RootsMagic.
                                                    >

                                                    > The sentence arrived in an email this morning from FamilySearch. It sounds
                                                    > like an interesting feature.
                                                    >

                                                    > RootsMagic 4 is the first software affiliate product that is certified to
                                                    > reserve and submit ancestral names to temples to print LDS temple name
                                                    cards
                                                    > using new FamilySearch Web services.
                                                    >

                                                    > Does AQ have anything in the near future that will enable users to do the
                                                    > same sort of thing?
                                                    >

                                                    > Eric

                                                  • register
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Jun 23, 2009
                                                      When I ask AQ to review an individual in FS I get a display that gives me,
                                                      among other things, the NFS ID. It also lets me know how may other IDs
                                                      exist. Let us say 21.

                                                      If I go into nFS and look at the numbers of records hat have been combined
                                                      for the same person I get a difference count - say 17.

                                                      If I us AQ to do some additional searching and find another duplicate and
                                                      then combine these the numbers referred to above will change to 22 and 18.

                                                      My problem is that I expected these two numbers to be the same. That is, if
                                                      17 records have been combined then AQ would show me that there were 16 other
                                                      IDs. That is, the current record ID and 16 others to get 17.

                                                      Why the apparent discrepancy between nFS and AQ?

                                                    • Stewart Millar
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Jun 23, 2009
                                                        I have the same issue appearing in my checks between AQ and nFS.

                                                        The smaller numbers 2,3,4 duplicates do agree - but with some of the bigger
                                                        numbers I have the problem - AQ says 15 Other ID's and yet the nFS combined
                                                        records says 12 combined records.

                                                        A possibility that I have not yet had the time (or patience) to check is
                                                        ---- I wonder if any one of the 12 combined records in nFS is itself a
                                                        combined record of a further 3 records that would make the AQ number agree
                                                        with nFS. If what I have suggested is a possibility, then when there is a
                                                        difference, the AQ number should always be bigger than the nFS number.

                                                        === Stewart

                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Jun 23, 2009
                                                            When AQ accesses a record from nFS, it is given a list of all the nFS
                                                            IDs by which that record has been known. AQ simply counts these and
                                                            displays that number, minus the current number, as the number displayed
                                                            is meant to convey "Other" IDs, not "Total" IDs. You will often see a
                                                            count of 0 when you look at a record that has never been combined with
                                                            another record.

                                                            I don't know the full set of rules for when nFS creates a new ID for a
                                                            person, but I believe you could have a situation like this:

                                                            Bob Smith - ID1
                                                            Bob Smith - ID2
                                                            Robert Smith - ID3

                                                            When you combine ID1 and ID2, you end up with:

                                                            Bob Smith - ID4 (Includes ID1 and ID2)
                                                            Robert Smith - ID3

                                                            Then when you combine ID4 and ID3, you en up with:

                                                            Robert (Bob) Smith - ID5 (Includes ID1, ID2, ID3 and ID4)

                                                            So nFS's "Combined Records" screen for ID5 would show 3 original
                                                            records. But AQ's display of Other IDs for ID5 would show 4 other IDs.

                                                            Both displays are accurate. nFS is not showing you all the IDs by which
                                                            the person can be accessed -- it is showing the original records. AQ is
                                                            showing a count of other IDs. Actual original records would often be
                                                            somewhat fewer.

                                                            Hope this helps.

                                                            Gaylon