Understanding Navigation button on Children in Family display

  • Wade Starks
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 17, 2014
      I am trying to understand the different patterns of the left triangle
      buttons with each child in the family group view. I have attached a screen
      print of a family showing examples of the buttons. One in filled in with a
      partial outline and another is smaller than the others and not filled in.
      The one with the outline seems to come and go. The child with the smaller
      triangle also has a spouse as do some of the children with the larger clear
      triangles. What do these mean?

      Also, unlike PAF, there doesn't seem to be a way to determine from this
      family view if a child has a spouse, without actually going there. It seems
      the triangle is only filled in when the child has children of its own. Is
      there some clue to indicate the child has a spouse that I am missing? I
      really miss not being able to determine at a glance if a child has a spouse.

      Wade Starks

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 17, 2014
        If you e-mailed your response, the image does not remain with the
        message.

        Regardless, I believe you are talking about the navigation button (a
        left-pointing triangle) to the left of each child in the family view.

        The are four possible forms for this button.

        Empty -- The person has no children, but _may_ have a spouse. It would
        be nice to see some kind of indicator here, but if there is one, I
        don't know what it is.
        Filled -- The person has children. Again, there is no way to tell if
        the person has a spouse or not with this button.
        Empty or Filled with less-than symbol. The less than symbol is a
        navigation hint that is displayed when you navigate through the
        pedigree and indicates the path back down through the family.

        Hope this helps. Buried somewhere in the help area is a complete list
        of these buttons and what they mean.

        Tom

        On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 07:59:44 -0600, you wrote:

        >I am trying to understand the different patterns of the left triangle
        >buttons with each child in the family group view. I have attached a screen
        >print of a family showing examples of the buttons. One in filled in with a
        >partial outline and another is smaller than the others and not filled in.
        >The one with the outline seems to come and go. The child with the smaller
        >triangle also has a spouse as do some of the children with the larger clear
        >triangles. What do these mean?
        >

        >Also, unlike PAF, there doesn't seem to be a way to determine from this
        >family view if a child has a spouse, without actually going there. It seems
        >the triangle is only filled in when the child has children of its own. Is
        >there some clue to indicate the child has a spouse that I am missing? I
        >really miss not being able to determine at a glance if a child has a spouse.
        >

        >Wade Starks

      • Wade Starks
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 17, 2014
          Yes. I can't find it in the help. You didn't comment on the cases where the icon is smaller than the others - blank or filled.

          Wade Starks
          K7WCS   1J547
          801-225-6804
          140 W 900 S, Orem, Ut. 84058
          Sent from my iPhone

          On Mar 17, 2014, at 11:44, tomhuber.yah@... wrote:

          If you e-mailed your response, the image does not remain with the
          message.

          Regardless, I believe you are talking about the navigation button (a
          left-pointing triangle) to the left of each child in the family view.

          The are four possible forms for this button.

          Empty -- The person has no children, but _may_ have a spouse. It would
          be nice to see some kind of indicator here, but if there is one, I
          don't know what it is.
          Filled -- The person has children. Again, there is no way to tell if
          the person has a spouse or not with this button.
          Empty or Filled with less-than symbol. The less than symbol is a
          navigation hint that is displayed when you navigate through the
          pedigree and indicates the path back down through the family.

          Hope this helps. Buried somewhere in the help area is a complete list
          of these buttons and what they mean.

          Tom

          On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 07:59:44 -0600, you wrote:

          >I am trying to understand the different patterns of the left triangle
          >buttons with each child in the family group view. I have attached a screen
          >print of a family showing examples of the buttons. One in filled in with a
          >partial outline and another is smaller than the others and not filled in.
          >The one with the outline seems to come and go. The child with the smaller
          >triangle also has a spouse as do some of the children with the larger clear
          >triangles. What do these mean?
          >

          >Also, unlike PAF, there doesn't seem to be a way to determine from this
          >family view if a child has a spouse, without actually going there. It seems
          >the triangle is only filled in when the child has children of its own. Is
          >there some clue to indicate the child has a spouse that I am missing? I
          >really miss not being able to determine at a glance if a child has a spouse.
          >

          >Wade Starks

        • Dale McIntyre
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 17, 2014
            Wade

            Attachments are not allowed on AQ_NFS, so nobody sees what you sent. You can copy the email addresses of people who respond, and send to them directly, and include attachments, but the bottom of the message you sent says:

            Dale

            Link to my blog, AQWillDo, then Follow AQ Will Do, for help on using Ancestral Quest genealogical software.  There is no charge.  Unsubscribe at any time.

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 18, 2014
              I have to wonder if you are using an older version of AQ. I have not
              seen different sized icons for a long, long time. It may be
              system-dependent. And it may be an different display option for the
              symbol that I see as a less than to the left of the left-pointing
              triangle (filled or not). Without seeing the actual screen shot, I am
              not sure that I have even described the correct symbols.

              Tom