Invalid Argument

  • JimLight
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 30, 2014

      In trying to link people from my AQ db to Family Tree today I get a diagnostic I have not previously seen, viz. “Invalid Argument.”  There appears to be no way around this problem.  It happened with more than one name I was attempting to link.

      If this problem does not go away by itself, please let me know when it is fixed.

      Thanks,

      Jim

    • William Knight

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 30, 2014
          Jim:

          Over the last couple of days, we have heard from a handful of users that they are having this type of trouble. We are looking into it. Hopefully, we'll know more soon.

          Whenever I try to follow the same steps as are being reported, everything works as it should. I think that for most people, there is no trouble. But we need to know what's going on with you and those that are experiencing this.

          Gaylon

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 30, 2014
            I've also been getting error/log messages over the last 2 days when I try to connect with Family Search from AQ.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 30, 2014
              We found and fixed a problem. FamilySearch apparently made an adjustment a few days ago, which caused AQ to be unable to complete the login process for a few users. Those users who were affected will otherwise be able to use AQ just fine, but they won't be able to use the portions of AQ that interface with FamilySearch Family Tree until either FamilySearch sets back this adjustment (we've just alerted them, so we don't yet know whether this is an option), or these users get a patch from us.

              For now, if you are having this "invalid argument" problem when trying to work with AQ's interface to FamilySearch Family Tree, you can download this patch:

              Then make sure that your copy of AQ is closed and extract the contents of "Latest.zip" into your AQ program folder, which for most users will be:

              "C:\Program Files\Incline Software\Ancestral Quest 14".

              Once you have extracted these files this way, when you next run AQ, go to the "Help|About" screen to verify that your copy was built today, 1/30/2014. This will verify that you have updated your copy of AQ. At that point, everything should be back to normal.

              Gaylon Findlay
              Incline Software

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 9 12:58 PM
                  I also had this problem the other day after synching/adding a large number of local records with FS.  I resorted to closing out the program and re-opening it again and the problem went away.