Removing a place name drop menu entry

  • tmason1
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 18 8:30 PM
      How do you remove a place name in the drop down option when it has be misspelled?

      For example:
      Prospect Hill Cemetery, Front Royal, Warren, Virginia
      is misspelled as Prospect Hil Cemetery, Front Royal, Warren, Virginia

      Since the misspelled listing of Hil comes before Hill I am unable to type in "Pr" and get what I want.
    • Bill Buchanan
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 18 9:33 PM
        Terry,

        Click the Feedback link, and in your note refer the missionary to Knowledge Article 53733. Let them know the correct name of the place and ask to have it corrected. (It doesn't hurt if you can quote Wikipedia or some other trusted resource.)

        (This article has been around for a long time and needs to be updated to refer to FT instead of nFS. And yes, the examples given: Tupper District, Manitoba, Canada, and Elma, Perth, Ontario, Canada, have been corrected, but it may have taken two years. Patience is a precious virtue.)

        On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 9:30 PM, <tmason1@...> wrote:

        How do you remove a place name in the drop down option when it has be misspelled?

        For example:
        Prospect Hill Cemetery, Front Royal, Warren, Virginia
        is misspelled as Prospect Hil Cemetery, Front Royal, Warren, Virginia

        Since the misspelled listing of Hil comes before Hill I am unable to type in "Pr" and get what I want.

      • Dale McIntyre
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 18 10:48 PM
          Click the Edit tab on the Menu bar. From the drop down menu, select Replace Names/Dates/Places. This will bring up the screen by that name. From the window on the upper right, click on FULL PLACE NAMES. At the bottom of the screen you will find two entry windows. The upper of the two is labeled Find What. Click in this window and type the name you would like to eliminate. When the auto complete function shows the name you want to remove, type the name as you want it to appear in the lower window, which is labeled Replace With. When that window shows the name as it should be, click the "Delete (filled in with incorrect name) from the quick entry list." Next click on the Replace button. This brings up the Confirm Replace screen. It will show the first found example of where the wrong name is used. Click "Yes" to make the change in the one example, and AQ will attempt to find a next example. If you at any time chose to replace all  occurances of the wrone name with the right name, click the Yes to All button.

          Dale

          Link to my blog, AQWillDo, then Follow, for help on using Ancestral Quest genealogical software.  There is no charge.  Unsubscribe at any time.

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 20 2:47 PM

            The only way to remove incorrect misspelled names in the "place-name" drop down list is to remove them by editing the ancquest.ini file which is located in the hidden "C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxx\Application Data\Incline Software\Ancestral Quest folder.

            The "Quick Entry" (Simple) does not allow Replacing of Place names in a PAF database.

            And even if the PAF database is converted to AQ the "Edit Quick Entry Place List" does not display the names contained in the window which opens when clicking on the down triangle that appears that appears at the right edge of the name field. Misspelled names and garbage entries remain in the drop down list until they are replaced with the next 40 new entries.

            The correct answer provided by Gaylon today, is to edit the ancquest.ini file.

            Thank you.

            Terry Mason

            Clermont FR

            ---In AQ_NFS@{{emailDomain}}, <dcmc1945@...> wrote:

            <snip>
            On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 9:30 PM, <tmason1@...> wrote:

            How do you remove a place name in the drop down option when it has be misspelled?

            For example:
            Prospect Hill Cemetery, Front Royal, Warren, Virginia
            is misspelled as Prospect Hil Cemetery, Front Royal, Warren, Virginia

            Since the misspelled listing of Hil comes before Hill I am unable to type in "Pr" and get what I want.
          • Sally
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 21 6:41 AM
              Terry,

              I have eliminated misspelled place names by going to
              1. Family View
              2. Edit Individual
              3. Replace Names/Dates/Places...
              4. Full Place Names
              5. Type in Misspelled place name
              6. On line below, type in Corrected place name
              7. Hit 'Replace'
              Sometimes you will find more than one misspelling or incorrectly formatted name.
              Simply click on the 'Find What' line, a radio button will appear on the right,
              click it to see all spellings and repeat steps 5 thru 7.
              8. Click 'Done' to return to Individual Record.

              I hope this helps.
              Sally Bailey