Re: [AQ_NFS] August 2009 program release of nFS

  • Terry D. Smith
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 9, 2009
      Dear NFS readers...

      Over the week-end nFS was updated to the August 2009 release of the
      program, and YES there were some significant changes. KNowing Gaylon,
      he will arrive at work Monday and find a TON of questions related to
      this release. I would think we need to give him a chance to look over
      the changes, adjust his code accordingly, and then re-release AQ to
      obsorb all the changes that were wrought. Things are broken, or not
      working right... so let's all note the errors, realize the source,
      and compassionaly give him and his team a chance to solve the issues.

      If you wish to learn more about the changes made and why some things
      are buggers up now, check the "help" section when nFS is available,
      and then "what's new!"

      ---- Terry

      On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 17:54:59 -0600, "Margaret Thompson"
      <meganndm@...> wrote the following:

      >I have noticed today that the new Temple Ordinances screen in nFS does not show the ordinances I reserved directly from nFS in the list. It only shows the names I reserved through AQ. When I go to the individuals it still shows "Reserved". AQ does not bring in the names either that I reserved directly from nFS. Anyone have any ideas. Gaylon?
      >
      >Margaret

      Terry D. Smith and Family
      1978 Miner Way, Las Vegas, Nevada 89104-5214

      Happy Holidays... may your Family Researh Grow

      Researching the surnames: Billedeaux, Hungate, Garrett, King, Martin,
      Weale, Trickel, Armelle, Swearingen, Price, Lund, Johnson, Thomas, Eyre,
      Mihelich, Springer, Trebnik, Armentrout, Marcelain, Mayfield, Ward

      Genealogy URL: http://home.earthlink.net/~tdsfamgen100/ which links to
      http://worldconnect.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=tsmith
    • Terry D. Smith
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 9, 2009
        Dear NFS readers...

        Actually "What's New" is on the log in screen. It will start off with
        this statement:

        "New Features as of August 2009
        The August 2009 release of the new FamilySearch Web site introduces
        many changes. The biggest change is a new temple ordinances list.
        Temple Ordinances List
        The temple ordinances list helps you do the following:
        • See the ordinances that you have reserved.
        • Print and reprint Family Ordinance Requests and family ordinance
        cards.
        • Monitor the completion of the ordinances.
        • Remove individuals from your temple ordinances list. This cancels
        your reservation for all ordinances not yet complete so that other
        Church members can do them. (Previous releases of the new FamilySearch
        Web site did not allow you to cancel ordinance reservations.)
        You can sort the individuals in the temple ordinances list, change the
        width of the columns, and change the order of the columns.
        Reserving Ordinances
        The process and screens for reserving ordinances have changed. These
        are the significant changes:
        • You must reserve all of an individual’s ordinances. If you do not
        want to do all of them, do the ones that you want. You can then either
        assign the remaining ordinances to the temple or remove the individual
        from the temple ordinances list.
        • You must now go to the temple ordinances list in order to print a
        Family Ordinance Request. This makes it much easier to print one
        request containing all of the individuals whose ordinances you want to
        do Reprinting Family Ordinance Cards
        You can now reprint a Family Ordinance Request after you have printed
        the family ordinance cards. The system reminds you to destroy
        duplicate cards. ..." and more

        or See URL:
        https://new.familysearch.org/en/static/help/pdf/qsg_whats_new.pdf
        Terry D. Smith and Family
        1978 Miner Way, Las Vegas, Nevada 89104-5214

        Happy Holidays... may your Family Researh Grow

        Researching the surnames: Billedeaux, Hungate, Garrett, King, Martin,
        Weale, Trickel, Armelle, Swearingen, Price, Lund, Johnson, Thomas, Eyre,
        Mihelich, Springer, Trebnik, Armentrout, Marcelain, Mayfield, Ward

        Genealogy URL: http://home.earthlink.net/~tdsfamgen100/ which links to
        http://worldconnect.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=tsmith
      • Scott Scheibe
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 9, 2009
          At 06:36 PM 8/9/2009, you wrote:

          >Dear NFS readers...

          What they need to do is quit playing with the software and
          do some SERIOUS processor/server upgrades. By far the most
          frustrating thing with NFS is sitting here WAITING for it to
          respond. Even with people who have already been synced it is VERY
          SLOW. People with a lot of contributions and prior to say 1800 and
          the father back the worse it is. I don't have half an hour to waste
          waiting on a stupidly slow server.

          Scott Scheibe
          dsscheibe@...
          <http://scottsworld.info/gene.htm>

          Descendants of Capt. Henry WOODWARD
          <http://woodward.scottsworld.info/>

          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 9, 2009
            All:

            This post, earlier this evening, on another newsgroup might help explain
            some things (this person was not referring to AQ, but just to using the
            New FamilySearch screens):

            "The nFS .98 August upgrade has been taking place today. The site has
            been up and down, although now the only part affected is when you go to
            clear a temple ordinance, since that is the part that is most being
            worked on.

            However they now have the new reserved ordinances list up, this is the one that comes from the Family Tree in FamilySearch labs.

            Could be up and down all night, at my FHC, no one was able to get far enough along to even clear one ordinance tonight due to the work."

            When working on some of my own genealogy tonight, I noticed significant lag times in the response from NFS. Hopefully FamilySearch will be able to get the system stable soon.

            Gaylon

            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 10, 2009
              I tried to reserve a couple (husband and wife). Yesterday AQ kept crashing
              when I tried to add a new person to my reserve list. I got past that this
              morning, but I was unable to get through the "check for duplicates".

              Then I went directly to nFS to see how that would work, and I was able to
              reserve them there. I hope that means that progress is being made. :-)

              /Gunilla

              _____

              Terry D. Smith wrote:
              > Dear NFS readers...
              >
              > Over the week-end nFS was updated to the August 2009 release of the
              > program, and YES there were some significant changes. KNowing Gaylon,
              > he will arrive at work Monday and find a TON of questions related to
              > this release. I would think we need to give him a chance to look over
              > the changes, adjust his code accordingly, and then re-release AQ to
              > obsorb all the changes that were wrought. Things are broken, or not
              > working right... so let's all note the errors, realize the source,
              > and compassionaly give him and his team a chance to solve the issues.
              >
              > If you wish to learn more about the changes made and why some things
              > are buggers up now, check the "help" section when nFS is available,
              > and then "what's new!"
              >
              > ---- Terry
              >
              > On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 17:54:59 -0600, "Margaret Thompson"
              > <meganndm@peoplepc. <mailto:meganndm%40peoplepc.com> com> wrote the
              following:

              >> I have noticed today that the new Temple Ordinances screen in nFS does
              not show the ordinances I reserved directly from nFS in the list. It only
              shows the names I reserved through AQ. When I go to the individuals it still
              shows "Reserved". AQ does not bring in the names either that I reserved
              directly from nFS. Anyone have any ideas. Gaylon?

              >> Margaret

            • register
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 10, 2009
                It would be a great help if the screen 'Reserve Ordinances/Create Batches'
                would present the names in alpha or even RIN order. Currently it is
                difficult to find anyone on the list.

              • register
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 14, 2009
                  I am trying to find a strategy to keep my records consistent with FS as
                  information is gathered and updated by myself and others. There is an
                  option under the FamilySearch pulldown to check for changes. Gaylon, if you
                  are monitoring this, the terms 'updates', 'changed', updated, etc. appear to
                  be used interchangeably in the various windows, menus and help screens.
                  Consistency would avoid confusion - at least I am confused.

                  If I check for 'changes' I expect that I am looking for changes that have
                  been made to FS since I last synced. Is that correct? Or is it also
                  looking for changes that I have made in my local database since I last
                  synced?

                  If this checking is looking only at changes made to FS that works on one
                  direction. I can generate a report for changes that I have made in my local
                  database following any date I define so that works for the other direction
                  if I can remember when I last generated this report.

                  As I reach my objective of having my entire database synchronized, including
                  parents and siblings, a great period of time will have passed and I really
                  don't want to have to start at the beginning again. On the other hand,
                  maybe I should not care, but then I would lose the opportunity to
                  collaborate.

                  Help is needed here.

                • register
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 15, 2009
                    Help.

                    I have made many reservations in the past and am now running into a problem.
                    The person has Baptism completed. Other ordinances are 'ready'. I checked
                    in FS directly and the same is true.

                    I click 'ready' , I 'reserve', I agree to the church policies.

                    Now when I am returned to the 'Reserve Ordinances'Create Batches' screen the
                    ordinances have not been reserved. I have tried several times, I have shut
                    down AQ and then opened and tried again.

                    Any ideas?

                  • register
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 24, 2009
                      I see that AQ ,when comparing ordinances from the temple reservation system,
                      uses an expanded temple name. For example SEATT becomes Seattle Washington
                      Temple. Is this the new look and standard of FS? Is there an option
                      whereby AQ will make all of the conversions for me?