ordinances

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 6, 2013
      While checking files for family relations, I have found a lot of the ordinances that have changed since I checked them long ago. Often it is the sealed to parents or spouse that have changed from being done to being ready.

      If these stay as they are, it means a lot of work needs to be redone. Any way to correct these entries? Finding duplicates seldom change them.

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 6, 2013
        Cleadie,

        If the ordinances once had a date on familytree or new.familysearch or on the IGI, but are now showing ready, that means there are some duplicates in the current system and you will need to do some work to find them and then merge them on familytree. You can do that using AQ, but I’d recommend going directly to familytree to do that because you can see more and there is less danger of merging the wrong individuals. Keeping up with this kind of issue means you don’t need to seek anything else to do in your retirement years.

        Leslie Vaughn

        While checking files for family relations, I have found a lot of the ordinances that have changed since I checked them long ago. Often it is the sealed to parents or spouse that have changed from being done to being ready.

        If these stay as they are, it means a lot of work needs to be redone. Any way to correct these entries? Finding duplicates seldom change them.

      • tmason1
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 6, 2013

           Cleadie,

          You might want to drag your feet (hesitate) in trying to modify temple ordinance dates at this time by trying to synchronize what currently displays in Family Tree with dates which you already have.

          It seems there will be a separate searchable database of Temple Ordinances available in the future which will work much like the IGI database. At that time we will be able to select the earliest ordinances for our ancestors. That ordinance database has never been touched by contributors like us, so it should be a good resource to sort out many of the combined records that never should have been combined in nFS.

          The data in the current ordinance fields in Family Tree is not accurate because of the many processes which combined/uncombined records in new.FamilySearch that have been brought into Family Tree.

          Terry Mason

          Clermont FL

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 6, 2013
            Thanks for the response. I have tried to find duplicates for the people I find with this problem, but unfortunately most have none. Those who do, do not have any correct dates for the missing data.

            Not sure if I check all of them in FT, will try again. It is possible the correct file has been merged with a wrong person.

            I have marked (color coded) them all in my database and will try and find a solution once FT is fully working in all their planned upgrades.

            Cleadie B

            If the ordinances once had a date on familytree or new.familysearch or on the IGI, but are now showing ready, that means there are some duplicates in the current system and you will need to do some work to find them and then merge them on familytree. You can do that using AQ, but I’d recommend going directly to familytree to do that because you can see more and there is less danger of merging the wrong individuals. Keeping up with this kind of issue means you don’t need to seek anything else to do in your retirement years.

            Leslie Vaughn
            Recent Activity:
            .

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 7, 2013
              Thanks for the advice. I will continue to mark the folks in AQ that I need to update, and wait until some way shows up in FT to make the correction.

              Good advice.
              Cleadie B

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 8, 2013
                Please, If you have earlier ordinances in your tree, do not update those. I
                personally have seen ordinances disappear when correcting records. If
                someone merges, deletes a record or deletes a relationship the old
                ordinances may disappear. In this case it can be recovered by searching the
                change logs (individual, marriage, etc) for the change with the deleted
                record and restore the record with the ordinances.

                But if the records were combined in nFS and then you fix it in FamilyTree,
                the ordinances may go with the wrong individual leaving the other with none
                or later ones that are not valid. If you have the original valid ordinance
                dates in your records, it will help to identify them later when we are able
                to make those corrections. You need to reserve those to prevent someone from
                doing the work again, until it can be corrected.

                If you wish it to be corrected now and you have the card with the correct
                ordinances, you can scan and attach it to an email to FamilySearch support
                and they may be able find and correct it. They usually do. You cannot just
                write them and say, I have it in my database. You have to have some official
                proof - online or paper document from a temple.

                Linda Smith

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 11, 2013
                  Sorry for the delay in responding to your message, with the helpful ideas.

                  Thank you, Cleadie B.