Re: [AQ_NFS] Help in Reserving Ordinances

    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 9, 2009
      Gunilla:

      AQ doesn't yet have a "Reserve Family" capability -- something that
      would be nice in the future.

      The way I would go about reserving a family would be as follows:

      1) Go into the Ordinance Reservation and Tracking System (ORTS) main screen
      2) Click on "Reserve Ordinances"
      3) Click on the "Add" button to start the process of adding your family
      4) Click on the "Add Selected Local Record(s)" button to take you to the
      selection screen
      5) Click on the "Advanced Filter/Focus" option
      6) Highlight any member of the family in the list
      7) Make sure the Relationship filter type is set to Family
      8) Click the "Select" button to select the family. You will probably get
      a screen that asks which family to select, as a person often belongs to
      more than one family.
      9) Click the OK button on the Advanced Filtering screen

      You should now have your family at the bottom of the list of names to be
      reserved. If you had previously added some of these family members to
      this list, only the new family members will be at the bottom of the
      list, as those already on the list will stay where they are.

      For each member of the family, follow steps 10-12 (and it doesn't matter
      which order you handle the family members):

      10) Make sure that you have linked the person to NFS, and that you have
      checked them for duplicates. The issue you describe about how to deal
      with duplicate spouses or parents in NFS should be cleared up as you
      check each person for duplicates and combine the duplicates on NFS.

      Note: During the process of linking or checking for dups, be aware of
      the "LDS" button on the Link or Check for Dups screen. If you notice
      that the NFS person has completed ordinances that are not recorded in
      your AQ database, use the LDS button to immediately transfer these
      ordinances to your record to get it up to date. This will work for
      Sealings as well as Baptism and Endowment.

      At this point, your family member should no longer have any duplicates
      on NFS, so if the ordinances were done for this person, NFS will not
      allow you to reserve them. *If* you want to double-check that your local
      AQ record has the proper ordinances recorded you could use the "Review"
      screen, but I think you will find it easier to use the new "Ordinances"
      button to transfer not only the individual ordinances (Baptism and
      Endowment), but also the sealings to your AQ records. (You will be using
      the Ordinances button in step 12, so you don't really need to do this
      here -- it's just a way to make sure you aren't overlooking anything
      before you reserve the ordinances.) Note that the Ordinances button will
      only allow you to download ordinances from NFS to AQ. If you need to
      send your ordinances from AQ to NFS because NFS is missing ordinances
      that you know were completed, you will need to use the Review screen to
      do this.

      11) If the person has any ordinances in the "Ready" state, click on the
      "Reserve" button and reserve the ordinances.
      12) If you were going to add the person to an FOR, I would wait until
      later to update your local record. But since you indicate that you are
      not ready to do that, click on the "Ordinances" button and transfer the
      "Reserved" status to your AQ file. Note that AQ will change the word
      "Reserved" to "Submitted" during the transfer.

      Now it takes a lot longer to write about and read about these steps that
      it takes to do them. After you've worked through this process a few
      times, I think you'll find it's a pretty quick, logical way to select
      people you want to reserve, make sure the NFS records for those
      individuals are properly combined and linked to your records, verify
      that you won't be duplicating any ordinances, reserving the ordinances,
      and making sure your AQ records reflect the temple records.

      Gaylon

    • Margaret Thompson
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 9, 2009
        I have noticed today that the new Temple Ordinances screen in nFS does not show the ordinances I reserved directly from nFS in the list. It only shows the names I reserved through AQ. When I go to the individuals it still shows "Reserved". AQ does not bring in the names either that I reserved directly from nFS. Anyone have any ideas. Gaylon?

        Margaret

        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 9, 2009
          Dear NFS readers...

          Over the week-end nFS was updated to the August 2009 release of the
          program, and YES there were some significant changes. KNowing Gaylon,
          he will arrive at work Monday and find a TON of questions related to
          this release. I would think we need to give him a chance to look over
          the changes, adjust his code accordingly, and then re-release AQ to
          obsorb all the changes that were wrought. Things are broken, or not
          working right... so let's all note the errors, realize the source,
          and compassionaly give him and his team a chance to solve the issues.

          If you wish to learn more about the changes made and why some things
          are buggers up now, check the "help" section when nFS is available,
          and then "what's new!"

          ---- Terry

          On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 17:54:59 -0600, "Margaret Thompson"
          <meganndm@...> wrote the following:

          >I have noticed today that the new Temple Ordinances screen in nFS does not show the ordinances I reserved directly from nFS in the list. It only shows the names I reserved through AQ. When I go to the individuals it still shows "Reserved". AQ does not bring in the names either that I reserved directly from nFS. Anyone have any ideas. Gaylon?
          >
          >Margaret

          Terry D. Smith and Family
          1978 Miner Way, Las Vegas, Nevada 89104-5214

          Happy Holidays... may your Family Researh Grow

          Researching the surnames: Billedeaux, Hungate, Garrett, King, Martin,
          Weale, Trickel, Armelle, Swearingen, Price, Lund, Johnson, Thomas, Eyre,
          Mihelich, Springer, Trebnik, Armentrout, Marcelain, Mayfield, Ward

          Genealogy URL: http://home.earthlink.net/~tdsfamgen100/ which links to
          http://worldconnect.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=tsmith
        • Terry D. Smith
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 9, 2009
            Dear NFS readers...

            Actually "What's New" is on the log in screen. It will start off with
            this statement:

            "New Features as of August 2009
            The August 2009 release of the new FamilySearch Web site introduces
            many changes. The biggest change is a new temple ordinances list.
            Temple Ordinances List
            The temple ordinances list helps you do the following:
            • See the ordinances that you have reserved.
            • Print and reprint Family Ordinance Requests and family ordinance
            cards.
            • Monitor the completion of the ordinances.
            • Remove individuals from your temple ordinances list. This cancels
            your reservation for all ordinances not yet complete so that other
            Church members can do them. (Previous releases of the new FamilySearch
            Web site did not allow you to cancel ordinance reservations.)
            You can sort the individuals in the temple ordinances list, change the
            width of the columns, and change the order of the columns.
            Reserving Ordinances
            The process and screens for reserving ordinances have changed. These
            are the significant changes:
            • You must reserve all of an individual’s ordinances. If you do not
            want to do all of them, do the ones that you want. You can then either
            assign the remaining ordinances to the temple or remove the individual
            from the temple ordinances list.
            • You must now go to the temple ordinances list in order to print a
            Family Ordinance Request. This makes it much easier to print one
            request containing all of the individuals whose ordinances you want to
            do Reprinting Family Ordinance Cards
            You can now reprint a Family Ordinance Request after you have printed
            the family ordinance cards. The system reminds you to destroy
            duplicate cards. ..." and more

            or See URL:
            https://new.familysearch.org/en/static/help/pdf/qsg_whats_new.pdf
            Terry D. Smith and Family
            1978 Miner Way, Las Vegas, Nevada 89104-5214

            Happy Holidays... may your Family Researh Grow

            Researching the surnames: Billedeaux, Hungate, Garrett, King, Martin,
            Weale, Trickel, Armelle, Swearingen, Price, Lund, Johnson, Thomas, Eyre,
            Mihelich, Springer, Trebnik, Armentrout, Marcelain, Mayfield, Ward

            Genealogy URL: http://home.earthlink.net/~tdsfamgen100/ which links to
            http://worldconnect.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=tsmith
          • Scott Scheibe
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 9, 2009
              At 06:36 PM 8/9/2009, you wrote:

              >Dear NFS readers...

              What they need to do is quit playing with the software and
              do some SERIOUS processor/server upgrades. By far the most
              frustrating thing with NFS is sitting here WAITING for it to
              respond. Even with people who have already been synced it is VERY
              SLOW. People with a lot of contributions and prior to say 1800 and
              the father back the worse it is. I don't have half an hour to waste
              waiting on a stupidly slow server.

              Scott Scheibe
              dsscheibe@...
              <http://scottsworld.info/gene.htm>

              Descendants of Capt. Henry WOODWARD
              <http://woodward.scottsworld.info/>

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 9, 2009
                All:

                This post, earlier this evening, on another newsgroup might help explain
                some things (this person was not referring to AQ, but just to using the
                New FamilySearch screens):

                "The nFS .98 August upgrade has been taking place today. The site has
                been up and down, although now the only part affected is when you go to
                clear a temple ordinance, since that is the part that is most being
                worked on.

                However they now have the new reserved ordinances list up, this is the one that comes from the Family Tree in FamilySearch labs.

                Could be up and down all night, at my FHC, no one was able to get far enough along to even clear one ordinance tonight due to the work."

                When working on some of my own genealogy tonight, I noticed significant lag times in the response from NFS. Hopefully FamilySearch will be able to get the system stable soon.

                Gaylon

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 10, 2009
                  I tried to reserve a couple (husband and wife). Yesterday AQ kept crashing
                  when I tried to add a new person to my reserve list. I got past that this
                  morning, but I was unable to get through the "check for duplicates".

                  Then I went directly to nFS to see how that would work, and I was able to
                  reserve them there. I hope that means that progress is being made. :-)

                  /Gunilla

                  _____

                  Terry D. Smith wrote:
                  > Dear NFS readers...
                  >
                  > Over the week-end nFS was updated to the August 2009 release of the
                  > program, and YES there were some significant changes. KNowing Gaylon,
                  > he will arrive at work Monday and find a TON of questions related to
                  > this release. I would think we need to give him a chance to look over
                  > the changes, adjust his code accordingly, and then re-release AQ to
                  > obsorb all the changes that were wrought. Things are broken, or not
                  > working right... so let's all note the errors, realize the source,
                  > and compassionaly give him and his team a chance to solve the issues.
                  >
                  > If you wish to learn more about the changes made and why some things
                  > are buggers up now, check the "help" section when nFS is available,
                  > and then "what's new!"
                  >
                  > ---- Terry
                  >
                  > On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 17:54:59 -0600, "Margaret Thompson"
                  > <meganndm@peoplepc. <mailto:meganndm%40peoplepc.com> com> wrote the
                  following:

                  >> I have noticed today that the new Temple Ordinances screen in nFS does
                  not show the ordinances I reserved directly from nFS in the list. It only
                  shows the names I reserved through AQ. When I go to the individuals it still
                  shows "Reserved". AQ does not bring in the names either that I reserved
                  directly from nFS. Anyone have any ideas. Gaylon?

                  >> Margaret

                • register
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 10, 2009
                    It would be a great help if the screen 'Reserve Ordinances/Create Batches'
                    would present the names in alpha or even RIN order. Currently it is
                    difficult to find anyone on the list.

                  • register
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 14, 2009
                      I am trying to find a strategy to keep my records consistent with FS as
                      information is gathered and updated by myself and others. There is an
                      option under the FamilySearch pulldown to check for changes. Gaylon, if you
                      are monitoring this, the terms 'updates', 'changed', updated, etc. appear to
                      be used interchangeably in the various windows, menus and help screens.
                      Consistency would avoid confusion - at least I am confused.

                      If I check for 'changes' I expect that I am looking for changes that have
                      been made to FS since I last synced. Is that correct? Or is it also
                      looking for changes that I have made in my local database since I last
                      synced?

                      If this checking is looking only at changes made to FS that works on one
                      direction. I can generate a report for changes that I have made in my local
                      database following any date I define so that works for the other direction
                      if I can remember when I last generated this report.

                      As I reach my objective of having my entire database synchronized, including
                      parents and siblings, a great period of time will have passed and I really
                      don't want to have to start at the beginning again. On the other hand,
                      maybe I should not care, but then I would lose the opportunity to
                      collaborate.

                      Help is needed here.

                    • register
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 15, 2009
                        Help.

                        I have made many reservations in the past and am now running into a problem.
                        The person has Baptism completed. Other ordinances are 'ready'. I checked
                        in FS directly and the same is true.

                        I click 'ready' , I 'reserve', I agree to the church policies.

                        Now when I am returned to the 'Reserve Ordinances'Create Batches' screen the
                        ordinances have not been reserved. I have tried several times, I have shut
                        down AQ and then opened and tried again.

                        Any ideas?

                      • register
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 24, 2009
                          I see that AQ ,when comparing ordinances from the temple reservation system,
                          uses an expanded temple name. For example SEATT becomes Seattle Washington
                          Temple. Is this the new look and standard of FS? Is there an option
                          whereby AQ will make all of the conversions for me?