RE: [AQ_NFS] Help in Reserving Ordinances

    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 9, 2009

      I am printing out your message and I'll try to follow it for the next name I
      want to reserve. Maybe I have missed something, although what I am doing
      right now is to collect a list of Reserved names. I am not ready to print
      the FOR. And until I am printing the FOR, I don't think that I have a
      button that says to "Update all local". Therefore, I need to go back to the
      name, click on review in order to click the boxes to transfer the info over
      to AQ.

      And I guess I haven't quite figured out in which order to reserve the names
      when I have a family group and that causes me to have to review several
      times in order to get the personal ordinances, Sealed to parents and sealed
      to spouse to transfer over to AQ.

      Also, if I have one family in my data base, and I end up with two or three
      families from nFS, I haven't figured out how to get those families combined.
      I have tried to combine spouses without success. Children I have been able
      to combine within their unit. So before I can reserve any seal to spouse, I
      have to actually go to nFS to find the persons and combine there and then go
      back to AQ and try to submit for that ordinance again.

      So what I personally need is a way to easier transfer "reserved" to AQ
      before I even print the FOR. At that point it could be updated again to say
      submitted or something.

      Thanks,

      Gunilla

      _____

      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 9, 2009
        Gunilla:

        AQ doesn't yet have a "Reserve Family" capability -- something that
        would be nice in the future.

        The way I would go about reserving a family would be as follows:

        1) Go into the Ordinance Reservation and Tracking System (ORTS) main screen
        2) Click on "Reserve Ordinances"
        3) Click on the "Add" button to start the process of adding your family
        4) Click on the "Add Selected Local Record(s)" button to take you to the
        selection screen
        5) Click on the "Advanced Filter/Focus" option
        6) Highlight any member of the family in the list
        7) Make sure the Relationship filter type is set to Family
        8) Click the "Select" button to select the family. You will probably get
        a screen that asks which family to select, as a person often belongs to
        more than one family.
        9) Click the OK button on the Advanced Filtering screen

        You should now have your family at the bottom of the list of names to be
        reserved. If you had previously added some of these family members to
        this list, only the new family members will be at the bottom of the
        list, as those already on the list will stay where they are.

        For each member of the family, follow steps 10-12 (and it doesn't matter
        which order you handle the family members):

        10) Make sure that you have linked the person to NFS, and that you have
        checked them for duplicates. The issue you describe about how to deal
        with duplicate spouses or parents in NFS should be cleared up as you
        check each person for duplicates and combine the duplicates on NFS.

        Note: During the process of linking or checking for dups, be aware of
        the "LDS" button on the Link or Check for Dups screen. If you notice
        that the NFS person has completed ordinances that are not recorded in
        your AQ database, use the LDS button to immediately transfer these
        ordinances to your record to get it up to date. This will work for
        Sealings as well as Baptism and Endowment.

        At this point, your family member should no longer have any duplicates
        on NFS, so if the ordinances were done for this person, NFS will not
        allow you to reserve them. *If* you want to double-check that your local
        AQ record has the proper ordinances recorded you could use the "Review"
        screen, but I think you will find it easier to use the new "Ordinances"
        button to transfer not only the individual ordinances (Baptism and
        Endowment), but also the sealings to your AQ records. (You will be using
        the Ordinances button in step 12, so you don't really need to do this
        here -- it's just a way to make sure you aren't overlooking anything
        before you reserve the ordinances.) Note that the Ordinances button will
        only allow you to download ordinances from NFS to AQ. If you need to
        send your ordinances from AQ to NFS because NFS is missing ordinances
        that you know were completed, you will need to use the Review screen to
        do this.

        11) If the person has any ordinances in the "Ready" state, click on the
        "Reserve" button and reserve the ordinances.
        12) If you were going to add the person to an FOR, I would wait until
        later to update your local record. But since you indicate that you are
        not ready to do that, click on the "Ordinances" button and transfer the
        "Reserved" status to your AQ file. Note that AQ will change the word
        "Reserved" to "Submitted" during the transfer.

        Now it takes a lot longer to write about and read about these steps that
        it takes to do them. After you've worked through this process a few
        times, I think you'll find it's a pretty quick, logical way to select
        people you want to reserve, make sure the NFS records for those
        individuals are properly combined and linked to your records, verify
        that you won't be duplicating any ordinances, reserving the ordinances,
        and making sure your AQ records reflect the temple records.

        Gaylon

      • Margaret Thompson
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 9, 2009
          I have noticed today that the new Temple Ordinances screen in nFS does not show the ordinances I reserved directly from nFS in the list. It only shows the names I reserved through AQ. When I go to the individuals it still shows "Reserved". AQ does not bring in the names either that I reserved directly from nFS. Anyone have any ideas. Gaylon?

          Margaret

          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 9, 2009
            Dear NFS readers...

            Over the week-end nFS was updated to the August 2009 release of the
            program, and YES there were some significant changes. KNowing Gaylon,
            he will arrive at work Monday and find a TON of questions related to
            this release. I would think we need to give him a chance to look over
            the changes, adjust his code accordingly, and then re-release AQ to
            obsorb all the changes that were wrought. Things are broken, or not
            working right... so let's all note the errors, realize the source,
            and compassionaly give him and his team a chance to solve the issues.

            If you wish to learn more about the changes made and why some things
            are buggers up now, check the "help" section when nFS is available,
            and then "what's new!"

            ---- Terry

            On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 17:54:59 -0600, "Margaret Thompson"
            <meganndm@...> wrote the following:

            >I have noticed today that the new Temple Ordinances screen in nFS does not show the ordinances I reserved directly from nFS in the list. It only shows the names I reserved through AQ. When I go to the individuals it still shows "Reserved". AQ does not bring in the names either that I reserved directly from nFS. Anyone have any ideas. Gaylon?
            >
            >Margaret

            Terry D. Smith and Family
            1978 Miner Way, Las Vegas, Nevada 89104-5214

            Happy Holidays... may your Family Researh Grow

            Researching the surnames: Billedeaux, Hungate, Garrett, King, Martin,
            Weale, Trickel, Armelle, Swearingen, Price, Lund, Johnson, Thomas, Eyre,
            Mihelich, Springer, Trebnik, Armentrout, Marcelain, Mayfield, Ward

            Genealogy URL: http://home.earthlink.net/~tdsfamgen100/ which links to
            http://worldconnect.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=tsmith
          • Terry D. Smith
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 9, 2009
              Dear NFS readers...

              Actually "What's New" is on the log in screen. It will start off with
              this statement:

              "New Features as of August 2009
              The August 2009 release of the new FamilySearch Web site introduces
              many changes. The biggest change is a new temple ordinances list.
              Temple Ordinances List
              The temple ordinances list helps you do the following:
              • See the ordinances that you have reserved.
              • Print and reprint Family Ordinance Requests and family ordinance
              cards.
              • Monitor the completion of the ordinances.
              • Remove individuals from your temple ordinances list. This cancels
              your reservation for all ordinances not yet complete so that other
              Church members can do them. (Previous releases of the new FamilySearch
              Web site did not allow you to cancel ordinance reservations.)
              You can sort the individuals in the temple ordinances list, change the
              width of the columns, and change the order of the columns.
              Reserving Ordinances
              The process and screens for reserving ordinances have changed. These
              are the significant changes:
              • You must reserve all of an individual’s ordinances. If you do not
              want to do all of them, do the ones that you want. You can then either
              assign the remaining ordinances to the temple or remove the individual
              from the temple ordinances list.
              • You must now go to the temple ordinances list in order to print a
              Family Ordinance Request. This makes it much easier to print one
              request containing all of the individuals whose ordinances you want to
              do Reprinting Family Ordinance Cards
              You can now reprint a Family Ordinance Request after you have printed
              the family ordinance cards. The system reminds you to destroy
              duplicate cards. ..." and more

              or See URL:
              https://new.familysearch.org/en/static/help/pdf/qsg_whats_new.pdf
              Terry D. Smith and Family
              1978 Miner Way, Las Vegas, Nevada 89104-5214

              Happy Holidays... may your Family Researh Grow

              Researching the surnames: Billedeaux, Hungate, Garrett, King, Martin,
              Weale, Trickel, Armelle, Swearingen, Price, Lund, Johnson, Thomas, Eyre,
              Mihelich, Springer, Trebnik, Armentrout, Marcelain, Mayfield, Ward

              Genealogy URL: http://home.earthlink.net/~tdsfamgen100/ which links to
              http://worldconnect.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=tsmith
            • Scott Scheibe
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 9, 2009
                At 06:36 PM 8/9/2009, you wrote:

                >Dear NFS readers...

                What they need to do is quit playing with the software and
                do some SERIOUS processor/server upgrades. By far the most
                frustrating thing with NFS is sitting here WAITING for it to
                respond. Even with people who have already been synced it is VERY
                SLOW. People with a lot of contributions and prior to say 1800 and
                the father back the worse it is. I don't have half an hour to waste
                waiting on a stupidly slow server.

                Scott Scheibe
                dsscheibe@...
                <http://scottsworld.info/gene.htm>

                Descendants of Capt. Henry WOODWARD
                <http://woodward.scottsworld.info/>

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 9, 2009
                  All:

                  This post, earlier this evening, on another newsgroup might help explain
                  some things (this person was not referring to AQ, but just to using the
                  New FamilySearch screens):

                  "The nFS .98 August upgrade has been taking place today. The site has
                  been up and down, although now the only part affected is when you go to
                  clear a temple ordinance, since that is the part that is most being
                  worked on.

                  However they now have the new reserved ordinances list up, this is the one that comes from the Family Tree in FamilySearch labs.

                  Could be up and down all night, at my FHC, no one was able to get far enough along to even clear one ordinance tonight due to the work."

                  When working on some of my own genealogy tonight, I noticed significant lag times in the response from NFS. Hopefully FamilySearch will be able to get the system stable soon.

                  Gaylon

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 10, 2009
                    I tried to reserve a couple (husband and wife). Yesterday AQ kept crashing
                    when I tried to add a new person to my reserve list. I got past that this
                    morning, but I was unable to get through the "check for duplicates".

                    Then I went directly to nFS to see how that would work, and I was able to
                    reserve them there. I hope that means that progress is being made. :-)

                    /Gunilla

                    _____

                    Terry D. Smith wrote:
                    > Dear NFS readers...
                    >
                    > Over the week-end nFS was updated to the August 2009 release of the
                    > program, and YES there were some significant changes. KNowing Gaylon,
                    > he will arrive at work Monday and find a TON of questions related to
                    > this release. I would think we need to give him a chance to look over
                    > the changes, adjust his code accordingly, and then re-release AQ to
                    > obsorb all the changes that were wrought. Things are broken, or not
                    > working right... so let's all note the errors, realize the source,
                    > and compassionaly give him and his team a chance to solve the issues.
                    >
                    > If you wish to learn more about the changes made and why some things
                    > are buggers up now, check the "help" section when nFS is available,
                    > and then "what's new!"
                    >
                    > ---- Terry
                    >
                    > On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 17:54:59 -0600, "Margaret Thompson"
                    > <meganndm@peoplepc. <mailto:meganndm%40peoplepc.com> com> wrote the
                    following:

                    >> I have noticed today that the new Temple Ordinances screen in nFS does
                    not show the ordinances I reserved directly from nFS in the list. It only
                    shows the names I reserved through AQ. When I go to the individuals it still
                    shows "Reserved". AQ does not bring in the names either that I reserved
                    directly from nFS. Anyone have any ideas. Gaylon?

                    >> Margaret

                  • register
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 10, 2009
                      It would be a great help if the screen 'Reserve Ordinances/Create Batches'
                      would present the names in alpha or even RIN order. Currently it is
                      difficult to find anyone on the list.

                    • register
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 14, 2009
                        I am trying to find a strategy to keep my records consistent with FS as
                        information is gathered and updated by myself and others. There is an
                        option under the FamilySearch pulldown to check for changes. Gaylon, if you
                        are monitoring this, the terms 'updates', 'changed', updated, etc. appear to
                        be used interchangeably in the various windows, menus and help screens.
                        Consistency would avoid confusion - at least I am confused.

                        If I check for 'changes' I expect that I am looking for changes that have
                        been made to FS since I last synced. Is that correct? Or is it also
                        looking for changes that I have made in my local database since I last
                        synced?

                        If this checking is looking only at changes made to FS that works on one
                        direction. I can generate a report for changes that I have made in my local
                        database following any date I define so that works for the other direction
                        if I can remember when I last generated this report.

                        As I reach my objective of having my entire database synchronized, including
                        parents and siblings, a great period of time will have passed and I really
                        don't want to have to start at the beginning again. On the other hand,
                        maybe I should not care, but then I would lose the opportunity to
                        collaborate.

                        Help is needed here.

                      • register
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 15, 2009
                          Help.

                          I have made many reservations in the past and am now running into a problem.
                          The person has Baptism completed. Other ordinances are 'ready'. I checked
                          in FS directly and the same is true.

                          I click 'ready' , I 'reserve', I agree to the church policies.

                          Now when I am returned to the 'Reserve Ordinances'Create Batches' screen the
                          ordinances have not been reserved. I have tried several times, I have shut
                          down AQ and then opened and tried again.

                          Any ideas?

                        • register
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 24, 2009
                            I see that AQ ,when comparing ordinances from the temple reservation system,
                            uses an expanded temple name. For example SEATT becomes Seattle Washington
                            Temple. Is this the new look and standard of FS? Is there an option
                            whereby AQ will make all of the conversions for me?