Re: [AQ_NFS] You can now sync sources with Family Tree

  • Teresa Davis
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 19, 2013
      I am one of those that put all my sources in my Notes. I don't know how to properly use Sources, have not understood how to fill in the fields with the proper information, etc. Years ago I tried to read the "book" but it didn't always make sense to me so I gave up and kept putting everything in my Notes where I can see it, read it, refine it.

      I would like to use Sources but need some one on one time where someone could teach me. Anyone in the Houston TX area that could help?

      Teresa

      On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 11:53 AM, Gaylon Findlay <gfindlay@...> wrote:

      All:

      We are about ready to release a new build of AQ which will allow you to sync sources between your file and Family Tree.

      We would like those of you who are willing to first test this build and let us know whether we need to make any tweaks before releasing it publicly.

      If you would like to test this, please download and install this file:

      This build (AQ 14, build 13, sub-build 8) will do the following:

      1) Fix some of the bugs that have been reported recently, including a bug that has been asked about on this group: when you import family lines, the marriage dates are not being imported. This is fixed.

      2) Syncing sources.

      We still intend to provide additional functionality with syncing sources, but a basic ability to sync is now available, and we didn't want users to have to wait any longer for basic functionality. With this build, you will see source icons next to events that have sources (when you are on the Review/Sync with Family Tree screen), and by clicking on those icons, you can upload sources from your database to Family tree, or download sources from Family Tree to your file. If either your source, or the Family Tree source includes a link to a picture or page of a source on the Internet, this link will also transfer.

      AQ is doing something unique in the way it uploads sources to Family Tree. Because Family Tree does not have a traditional source system, that records the source's title, author, repository, etc., AQ gives you the option of sending that information in the notes of a source. If you use that option, then the source information will go to Family Tree in two formats: The footnote of the source will go into the Family Tree 'Citation' field, and the detailed breakdown will go into the Family Tree 'Notes' field. If you, or another user, later imports this source, if there is no detailed breakdown, then AQ will have to put the citation into the "Comments" field of the AQ source. But if you include the detailed breakdown, then AQ will be able to recreate the source exactly as it was when you sent it to Family Tree -- it will know the author, title, repository, etc.

      We expect to release this build tomorrow. So if you have some time to test today, please do so.

      You will know that you have successfully installed this special build if your "About AQ" screen shows today's date (9-19-13) after you install.

      If you find any problems, please report them directly to me: gfindlay@...

      Thanks,

      Gaylon Findlay
      Incline Software

    • Lois Casson
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 20, 2013
        Thanks Gaylon,

        I can be patient.  My file is too large to start trying to convert all my note sources into the Source file.

        Lois

        On 9/19/2013 3:34 PM, Gaylon Findlay wrote:

        Lois:

        Family Tree didn't make this easy :-)

        In nFS, they allowed certified software to transfer notes, but not sources. So many users got used to working with notes rather than sources.

        Now in Family Tree, they allow certified software to transfer sources, but not yet notes. I know this makes it awkward for many users.

        We hear from FamilySearch that someday, they will have notes. For those of you who are dealing with notes rather than sources, you'll need to be patient -- note syncing capability will come back eventually.

        Gaylon

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 20, 2013
          Unfortunately, the Church hasn't gotten it all together in the various
          programs it has put out and/or supported.

          For instance, there is only _one_ family tree -- that of God's. We are
          all part of that family. And yet, we had _Personal_ Ancestral File.
          Jim Greene, one of the people I met while serving in the Family and
          Church History Mission, told us that the goal should have been
          collaboration all along, and not separate trees.

          So we now have a single Family Tree that all people can contribute to.

          Now comes into play the next mistake -- not handling sources
          correctly. As a number of you have already said, you had to use the
          "Notes" feature if you wanted to source an entry. There was even a
          code (!) for certain notes.

          And yet, when one considers what a source is supposed to do, the Notes
          method is not only inadequate, but makes it impossible to lumb the
          related sources together.

          As source has three elements as well as a repository (place where the
          source can be found). The elements are a)Source type and(or) title
          b)specific record, and c)actual citation (ie page). Mutliple sources
          for the same event are preferred and the best sources are primary
          sources, followed by secondary sources. "Other" sources should be used
          only for research purposes only, and not as an actual trusted source.

          Examples of Primary Sources are those records made _at_the_time_ of
          the event. Secondary sources are those records made _after_the_fact_.
          "Other" sources are those collections, which include published
          histories (family and locality), and unsourced family trees. Just
          because a history says that a family is related to those with the same
          surname in another location does not necessarily make it so. These
          should never be used to establish relationships. If there are no
          ship's records to identify an ancestor who immigrated with them in
          their country of origin, or other records that clearly identify the
          person in both locations (such as a family record made during the
          lifetime of the ancestor), then there is no connection that can be
          reliably made and none should be presumed or assumed.

          Ancestral Quest has an outstanding source system, and I strongly
          recommend learning how to use it.

          I group sources by type: Birth Records, Cemetery Records, Marriage
          Records, etc., followed by the specific type/location of those
          records. For instance, I have "Birth Records: California Birth Index,
          1905-1995" The repository where this index can be found is State of
          California Department of Health Statistics. While the record may be
          found in Ancestry.com, Ancestry is only the means by which the record
          may be found -- the original is held by the State of California.
          Repositories for the U.S. Federal Census are all the NARA (National
          Archive and Records Administration in Washington, DC.

          Next the specific record is what I am looking at: The (location and
          type -- U.S. Federal) (year) 1860 (type) Census.

          The citation itself is the roll -or- the location (state and
          enumeration district/locality), and page number. Lacking a defineable
          page number (for instance in 1850 census), I'll use the ancestry.com
          or familysearch.org image number. If the image or record can be
          located in FamilySearch, then I'll use its ability to be attached to a
          person's record and use the tags. How these will transfer back into
          Ancestral Quest -- I don't know because I haven't started playing with
          this.

          Regardless, it is important that for those who have (with no thanks to
          FamilySearch nFS) used notes to source your records, it is time to
          start moving the material. I have to do it because in looking at the
          way the citation is set up for a located record in FamilySearch.org, I
          need to set up my Ancestral question so it can produce the same kind
          of citation.

          But in the meantime, I suspect we all have a bit of "playing" to do to
          figure out what is going to work best. And, I think that FamilySearch
          FamilyTree still has some work that needs to be done to help make this
          all come together.