Re: [AQ_NFS] You can now sync sources with Family Tree

  • Ben Noffsinger
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 19, 2013
      Awesome

      Gaylon Findlay <gfindlay@...> wrote:

      All:

      We are about ready to release a new build of AQ which will allow you to sync sources between your file and Family Tree.

      We would like those of you who are willing to first test this build and let us know whether we need to make any tweaks before releasing it publicly.

      If you would like to test this, please download and install this file:

      This build (AQ 14, build 13, sub-build 8) will do the following:

      1) Fix some of the bugs that have been reported recently, including a bug that has been asked about on this group: when you import family lines, the marriage dates are not being imported. This is fixed.

      2) Syncing sources.

      We still intend to provide additional functionality with syncing sources, but a basic ability to sync is now available, and we didn't want users to have to wait any longer for basic functionality. With this build, you will see source icons next to events that have sources (when you are on the Review/Sync with Family Tree screen), and by clicking on those icons, you can upload sources from your database to Family tree, or download sources from Family Tree to your file. If either your source, or the Family Tree source includes a link to a picture or page of a source on the Internet, this link will also transfer.

      AQ is doing something unique in the way it uploads sources to Family Tree. Because Family Tree does not have a traditional source system, that records the source's title, author, repository, etc., AQ gives you the option of sending that information in the notes of a source. If you use that option, then the source information will go to Family Tree in two formats: The footnote of the source will go into the Family Tree 'Citation' field, and the detailed breakdown will go into the Family Tree 'Notes' field. If you, or another user, later imports this source, if there is no detailed breakdown, then AQ will have to put the citation into the "Comments" field of the AQ source. But if you include the detailed breakdown, then AQ will be able to recreate the source exactly as it was when you sent it to Family Tree -- it will know the author, title, repository, etc.

      We expect to release this build tomorrow. So if you have some time to test today, please do so.

      You will know that you have successfully installed this special build if your "About AQ" screen shows today's date (9-19-13) after you install.

      If you find any problems, please report them directly to me: gfindlay@...

      Thanks,

      Gaylon Findlay
      Incline Software

    • Terry Smith
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 19, 2013
        I got the new code but I cannot see any change that will allow me to
        sync the notes!! HELP

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 19, 2013
          Terry:

          Family Tree doesn't have Notes yet. Just sources.

          I got the new code but I cannot see any change that will allow me to
          sync the notes!! HELP

          On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 11:53:32 -0600 (MDT), you wrote:

          >All:
          >
          >We are about ready to release a new build of AQ which will allow you to sync sources between your file and Family Tree.
          >
          >We would like those of you who are willing to first test this build and let us know whether we need to make any tweaks before releasing it publicly.
          >
          >If you would like to test this, please download and install this file:
          >
          >http://www.inclinesoftware.net/files/AQ14s-13-8.exe
          >
          >This build (AQ 14, build 13, sub-build 8) will do the following:
          >
          >1) Fix some of the bugs that have been reported recently, including a bug that has been asked about on this group: when you import family lines, the marriage dates are not being imported. This is fixed.
          >
          >2) Syncing sources.
          >
          >We still intend to provide additional functionality with syncing sources, but a basic ability to sync is now available, and we didn't want users to have to wait any longer for basic functionality. With this build, you will see source icons next to events that have sources (when you are on the Review/Sync with Family Tree screen), and by clicking on those icons, you can upload sources from your database to Family tree, or download sources from Family Tree to your file. If either your source, or the Family Tree source includes a link to a picture or page of a source on the Internet, this link will also transfer.
          >
          >AQ is doing something unique in the way it uploads sources to Family Tree. Because Family Tree does not have a traditional source system, that records the source's title, author, repository, etc., AQ gives you the option of sending that information in the notes of a source. If you use that option, then the source information will go to Family Tree in two formats: The footnote of the source will go into the Family Tree 'Citation' field, and the detailed breakdown will go into the Family Tree 'Notes' field. If you, or another user, later imports this source, if there is no detailed breakdown, then AQ will have to put the citation into the "Comments" field of the AQ source. But if you include the detailed breakdown, then AQ will be able to recreate the source exactly as it was when you sent it to Family Tree -- it will know the author, title, repository, etc.
          >
          >We expect to release this build tomorrow. So if you have some time to test today, please do so.
          >
          >You will know that you have successfully installed this special build if your "About AQ" screen shows today's date (9-19-13) after you install.
          >
          >If you find any problems, please report them directly to me: gfindlay@...
          >
          >Thanks,
          >
          >Gaylon Findlay
          >Incline Software

        • Terry Smith
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 19, 2013
            All my sources are included in the notes, So this will do me little
            good at this time.

            On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 13:33:05 -0600 (MDT), you wrote:

            >Terry:
            >
            >Family Tree doesn't have Notes yet. Just sources.
            >
            >Gaylon

          • Lois Casson
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 19, 2013
              Hi,

              I need a little clarification.  I record all of my source information in my notes.  With the beta installed I can see all of the "notes" info as I did in nFS but I have see no means of transferring that info to ftree.  Is there no way, currently, of transferring that data?

              Lois Casson
              Pensacola, FL

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 19, 2013
                Hi Terry,

                I too downloaded the new beta version and have the same problem.  I can see the notes but no way to transfer data.  Have written to Gaylon.

                Lois Casson

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 19, 2013
                  Lois:

                  Family Tree didn't make this easy :-)

                  In nFS, they allowed certified software to transfer notes, but not sources. So many users got used to working with notes rather than sources.

                  Now in Family Tree, they allow certified software to transfer sources, but not yet notes. I know this makes it awkward for many users.

                  We hear from FamilySearch that someday, they will have notes. For those of you who are dealing with notes rather than sources, you'll need to be patient -- note syncing capability will come back eventually.

                  Gaylon

> [...]

                  >We expect to release this build tomorrow. So if you have some time to test today, please do so.
                  >
                  >You will know that you have successfully installed this special build if your "About AQ" screen shows today's date (9-19-13) after you install.

                • sm99923
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 19, 2013

                    I fear that all those who thought it easier to record sources in “Notes” have now boxed themselves into a corner. FT is committed to introducing “Notes” – but it is not there yet – which will likely give the opportunity of transferring your Note-Sources to FT but will miss out on the intended manner of recording Sources in FT with easily referenceable  citations, (source) notes, images, reasons etc.

                    You may need to seriously consider a project to re-record your sources in line with the current genealogical convention (a version in-being for the past decade or so in AQ) and as used (broadly) by FT.

                    ===Stewart

                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 20, 2013
                          Unfortunately, the Church hasn't gotten it all together in the various
                          programs it has put out and/or supported.

                          For instance, there is only _one_ family tree -- that of God's. We are
                          all part of that family. And yet, we had _Personal_ Ancestral File.
                          Jim Greene, one of the people I met while serving in the Family and
                          Church History Mission, told us that the goal should have been
                          collaboration all along, and not separate trees.

                          So we now have a single Family Tree that all people can contribute to.

                          Now comes into play the next mistake -- not handling sources
                          correctly. As a number of you have already said, you had to use the
                          "Notes" feature if you wanted to source an entry. There was even a
                          code (!) for certain notes.

                          And yet, when one considers what a source is supposed to do, the Notes
                          method is not only inadequate, but makes it impossible to lumb the
                          related sources together.

                          As source has three elements as well as a repository (place where the
                          source can be found). The elements are a)Source type and(or) title
                          b)specific record, and c)actual citation (ie page). Mutliple sources
                          for the same event are preferred and the best sources are primary
                          sources, followed by secondary sources. "Other" sources should be used
                          only for research purposes only, and not as an actual trusted source.

                          Examples of Primary Sources are those records made _at_the_time_ of
                          the event. Secondary sources are those records made _after_the_fact_.
                          "Other" sources are those collections, which include published
                          histories (family and locality), and unsourced family trees. Just
                          because a history says that a family is related to those with the same
                          surname in another location does not necessarily make it so. These
                          should never be used to establish relationships. If there are no
                          ship's records to identify an ancestor who immigrated with them in
                          their country of origin, or other records that clearly identify the
                          person in both locations (such as a family record made during the
                          lifetime of the ancestor), then there is no connection that can be
                          reliably made and none should be presumed or assumed.

                          Ancestral Quest has an outstanding source system, and I strongly
                          recommend learning how to use it.

                          I group sources by type: Birth Records, Cemetery Records, Marriage
                          Records, etc., followed by the specific type/location of those
                          records. For instance, I have "Birth Records: California Birth Index,
                          1905-1995" The repository where this index can be found is State of
                          California Department of Health Statistics. While the record may be
                          found in Ancestry.com, Ancestry is only the means by which the record
                          may be found -- the original is held by the State of California.
                          Repositories for the U.S. Federal Census are all the NARA (National
                          Archive and Records Administration in Washington, DC.

                          Next the specific record is what I am looking at: The (location and
                          type -- U.S. Federal) (year) 1860 (type) Census.

                          The citation itself is the roll -or- the location (state and
                          enumeration district/locality), and page number. Lacking a defineable
                          page number (for instance in 1850 census), I'll use the ancestry.com
                          or familysearch.org image number. If the image or record can be
                          located in FamilySearch, then I'll use its ability to be attached to a
                          person's record and use the tags. How these will transfer back into
                          Ancestral Quest -- I don't know because I haven't started playing with
                          this.

                          Regardless, it is important that for those who have (with no thanks to
                          FamilySearch nFS) used notes to source your records, it is time to
                          start moving the material. I have to do it because in looking at the
                          way the citation is set up for a located record in FamilySearch.org, I
                          need to set up my Ancestral question so it can produce the same kind
                          of citation.

                          But in the meantime, I suspect we all have a bit of "playing" to do to
                          figure out what is going to work best. And, I think that FamilySearch
                          FamilyTree still has some work that needs to be done to help make this
                          all come together.