Help in Reserving Ordinances

  • Margaret Thompson
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 8, 2009
      I have read tutorials but I seem to have missed something.

      When I reserve ordinances in AQ it is not bringing in (populating) the ordinances that I reserved directly in nFS. I cannot see them in AQ or unreserve them. I want to add these (directly from nFS) to the FOR that I print from AQ. What am I missing?

      Margaret

      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 8, 2009
        I think this is what I am having a "problem" with. Actually I e-mailed
        about it a while back, but without any response from anyone.

        What I have had to do is to go back and "review" each person and then mark
        the boxes that say reserved, and it will show up as submitted in AQ. The
        thing is, I feel like I have to go around and around in circles before I can
        get them linked, then reviewed and check for duplicates then try to reserve,
        check for dups again, and if it gets reserved I have to review again to get
        the info into AQ.

        I sure wish that the process of reserving, would put submitted in AQ, so I
        won't have to do things over and over.

        Gaylon???

        What about it?

        Thanks,

        Gunilla

        _____

        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 8, 2009
          Gunilla:

          This is the flow we intended:

          1) Add records to the list in the "Reserve Ordinances/Create Batches"
          screen.
          2) If the records are not already linked, then link them and combine
          duplicates during the matching process -- if already linked, and you
          haven't checked lately for duplicates, then use the "Check for Dups"
          button to make sure you won't be duplicating ordinance submissions.
          3) For any record that still needs ordinances, reserve ordinances on
          that screen
          4) Mark reserved records to be added to an FOR
          5) Create the FOR -- this transfers the records from the "Create
          Batches" screen to a batch, which you can then manage
          6) Go to the "Manage Batches" screen and select this newly created FOR
          7) You'll notice that all the reserved ordinances now show the status of
          "In Progress"
          8) Click the "Update All Local" button to update all your AQ records in
          this batch with the "In Progress" status.

          In order to get the "Reserved" state recorded in your AQ records rather
          than the "In Progress" state, you would have to intercept the above
          procedure at step 4 above and click on the "Ordinances" button to move
          the "Reserved" (or "Submitted") state into your AQ records.

          I don't think I followed you when you say, "so I won't have to do things
          over and over."

          Gaylon

          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 9, 2009

            I am printing out your message and I'll try to follow it for the next name I
            want to reserve. Maybe I have missed something, although what I am doing
            right now is to collect a list of Reserved names. I am not ready to print
            the FOR. And until I am printing the FOR, I don't think that I have a
            button that says to "Update all local". Therefore, I need to go back to the
            name, click on review in order to click the boxes to transfer the info over
            to AQ.

            And I guess I haven't quite figured out in which order to reserve the names
            when I have a family group and that causes me to have to review several
            times in order to get the personal ordinances, Sealed to parents and sealed
            to spouse to transfer over to AQ.

            Also, if I have one family in my data base, and I end up with two or three
            families from nFS, I haven't figured out how to get those families combined.
            I have tried to combine spouses without success. Children I have been able
            to combine within their unit. So before I can reserve any seal to spouse, I
            have to actually go to nFS to find the persons and combine there and then go
            back to AQ and try to submit for that ordinance again.

            So what I personally need is a way to easier transfer "reserved" to AQ
            before I even print the FOR. At that point it could be updated again to say
            submitted or something.

            Thanks,

            Gunilla

            _____

            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 9, 2009
              Gunilla:

              AQ doesn't yet have a "Reserve Family" capability -- something that
              would be nice in the future.

              The way I would go about reserving a family would be as follows:

              1) Go into the Ordinance Reservation and Tracking System (ORTS) main screen
              2) Click on "Reserve Ordinances"
              3) Click on the "Add" button to start the process of adding your family
              4) Click on the "Add Selected Local Record(s)" button to take you to the
              selection screen
              5) Click on the "Advanced Filter/Focus" option
              6) Highlight any member of the family in the list
              7) Make sure the Relationship filter type is set to Family
              8) Click the "Select" button to select the family. You will probably get
              a screen that asks which family to select, as a person often belongs to
              more than one family.
              9) Click the OK button on the Advanced Filtering screen

              You should now have your family at the bottom of the list of names to be
              reserved. If you had previously added some of these family members to
              this list, only the new family members will be at the bottom of the
              list, as those already on the list will stay where they are.

              For each member of the family, follow steps 10-12 (and it doesn't matter
              which order you handle the family members):

              10) Make sure that you have linked the person to NFS, and that you have
              checked them for duplicates. The issue you describe about how to deal
              with duplicate spouses or parents in NFS should be cleared up as you
              check each person for duplicates and combine the duplicates on NFS.

              Note: During the process of linking or checking for dups, be aware of
              the "LDS" button on the Link or Check for Dups screen. If you notice
              that the NFS person has completed ordinances that are not recorded in
              your AQ database, use the LDS button to immediately transfer these
              ordinances to your record to get it up to date. This will work for
              Sealings as well as Baptism and Endowment.

              At this point, your family member should no longer have any duplicates
              on NFS, so if the ordinances were done for this person, NFS will not
              allow you to reserve them. *If* you want to double-check that your local
              AQ record has the proper ordinances recorded you could use the "Review"
              screen, but I think you will find it easier to use the new "Ordinances"
              button to transfer not only the individual ordinances (Baptism and
              Endowment), but also the sealings to your AQ records. (You will be using
              the Ordinances button in step 12, so you don't really need to do this
              here -- it's just a way to make sure you aren't overlooking anything
              before you reserve the ordinances.) Note that the Ordinances button will
              only allow you to download ordinances from NFS to AQ. If you need to
              send your ordinances from AQ to NFS because NFS is missing ordinances
              that you know were completed, you will need to use the Review screen to
              do this.

              11) If the person has any ordinances in the "Ready" state, click on the
              "Reserve" button and reserve the ordinances.
              12) If you were going to add the person to an FOR, I would wait until
              later to update your local record. But since you indicate that you are
              not ready to do that, click on the "Ordinances" button and transfer the
              "Reserved" status to your AQ file. Note that AQ will change the word
              "Reserved" to "Submitted" during the transfer.

              Now it takes a lot longer to write about and read about these steps that
              it takes to do them. After you've worked through this process a few
              times, I think you'll find it's a pretty quick, logical way to select
              people you want to reserve, make sure the NFS records for those
              individuals are properly combined and linked to your records, verify
              that you won't be duplicating any ordinances, reserving the ordinances,
              and making sure your AQ records reflect the temple records.

              Gaylon

            • Margaret Thompson
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 9, 2009
                I have noticed today that the new Temple Ordinances screen in nFS does not show the ordinances I reserved directly from nFS in the list. It only shows the names I reserved through AQ. When I go to the individuals it still shows "Reserved". AQ does not bring in the names either that I reserved directly from nFS. Anyone have any ideas. Gaylon?

                Margaret

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 9, 2009
                  Dear NFS readers...

                  Over the week-end nFS was updated to the August 2009 release of the
                  program, and YES there were some significant changes. KNowing Gaylon,
                  he will arrive at work Monday and find a TON of questions related to
                  this release. I would think we need to give him a chance to look over
                  the changes, adjust his code accordingly, and then re-release AQ to
                  obsorb all the changes that were wrought. Things are broken, or not
                  working right... so let's all note the errors, realize the source,
                  and compassionaly give him and his team a chance to solve the issues.

                  If you wish to learn more about the changes made and why some things
                  are buggers up now, check the "help" section when nFS is available,
                  and then "what's new!"

                  ---- Terry

                  On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 17:54:59 -0600, "Margaret Thompson"
                  <meganndm@...> wrote the following:

                  >I have noticed today that the new Temple Ordinances screen in nFS does not show the ordinances I reserved directly from nFS in the list. It only shows the names I reserved through AQ. When I go to the individuals it still shows "Reserved". AQ does not bring in the names either that I reserved directly from nFS. Anyone have any ideas. Gaylon?
                  >
                  >Margaret

                  Terry D. Smith and Family
                  1978 Miner Way, Las Vegas, Nevada 89104-5214

                  Happy Holidays... may your Family Researh Grow

                  Researching the surnames: Billedeaux, Hungate, Garrett, King, Martin,
                  Weale, Trickel, Armelle, Swearingen, Price, Lund, Johnson, Thomas, Eyre,
                  Mihelich, Springer, Trebnik, Armentrout, Marcelain, Mayfield, Ward

                  Genealogy URL: http://home.earthlink.net/~tdsfamgen100/ which links to
                  http://worldconnect.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=tsmith
                • Terry D. Smith
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 9, 2009
                    Dear NFS readers...

                    Actually "What's New" is on the log in screen. It will start off with
                    this statement:

                    "New Features as of August 2009
                    The August 2009 release of the new FamilySearch Web site introduces
                    many changes. The biggest change is a new temple ordinances list.
                    Temple Ordinances List
                    The temple ordinances list helps you do the following:
                    • See the ordinances that you have reserved.
                    • Print and reprint Family Ordinance Requests and family ordinance
                    cards.
                    • Monitor the completion of the ordinances.
                    • Remove individuals from your temple ordinances list. This cancels
                    your reservation for all ordinances not yet complete so that other
                    Church members can do them. (Previous releases of the new FamilySearch
                    Web site did not allow you to cancel ordinance reservations.)
                    You can sort the individuals in the temple ordinances list, change the
                    width of the columns, and change the order of the columns.
                    Reserving Ordinances
                    The process and screens for reserving ordinances have changed. These
                    are the significant changes:
                    • You must reserve all of an individual’s ordinances. If you do not
                    want to do all of them, do the ones that you want. You can then either
                    assign the remaining ordinances to the temple or remove the individual
                    from the temple ordinances list.
                    • You must now go to the temple ordinances list in order to print a
                    Family Ordinance Request. This makes it much easier to print one
                    request containing all of the individuals whose ordinances you want to
                    do Reprinting Family Ordinance Cards
                    You can now reprint a Family Ordinance Request after you have printed
                    the family ordinance cards. The system reminds you to destroy
                    duplicate cards. ..." and more

                    or See URL:
                    https://new.familysearch.org/en/static/help/pdf/qsg_whats_new.pdf
                    Terry D. Smith and Family
                    1978 Miner Way, Las Vegas, Nevada 89104-5214

                    Happy Holidays... may your Family Researh Grow

                    Researching the surnames: Billedeaux, Hungate, Garrett, King, Martin,
                    Weale, Trickel, Armelle, Swearingen, Price, Lund, Johnson, Thomas, Eyre,
                    Mihelich, Springer, Trebnik, Armentrout, Marcelain, Mayfield, Ward

                    Genealogy URL: http://home.earthlink.net/~tdsfamgen100/ which links to
                    http://worldconnect.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?db=tsmith
                  • Scott Scheibe
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 9, 2009
                      At 06:36 PM 8/9/2009, you wrote:

                      >Dear NFS readers...

                      What they need to do is quit playing with the software and
                      do some SERIOUS processor/server upgrades. By far the most
                      frustrating thing with NFS is sitting here WAITING for it to
                      respond. Even with people who have already been synced it is VERY
                      SLOW. People with a lot of contributions and prior to say 1800 and
                      the father back the worse it is. I don't have half an hour to waste
                      waiting on a stupidly slow server.

                      Scott Scheibe
                      dsscheibe@...
                      <http://scottsworld.info/gene.htm>

                      Descendants of Capt. Henry WOODWARD
                      <http://woodward.scottsworld.info/>

                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 9, 2009
                        All:

                        This post, earlier this evening, on another newsgroup might help explain
                        some things (this person was not referring to AQ, but just to using the
                        New FamilySearch screens):

                        "The nFS .98 August upgrade has been taking place today. The site has
                        been up and down, although now the only part affected is when you go to
                        clear a temple ordinance, since that is the part that is most being
                        worked on.

                        However they now have the new reserved ordinances list up, this is the one that comes from the Family Tree in FamilySearch labs.

                        Could be up and down all night, at my FHC, no one was able to get far enough along to even clear one ordinance tonight due to the work."

                        When working on some of my own genealogy tonight, I noticed significant lag times in the response from NFS. Hopefully FamilySearch will be able to get the system stable soon.

                        Gaylon

                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 10, 2009
                          I tried to reserve a couple (husband and wife). Yesterday AQ kept crashing
                          when I tried to add a new person to my reserve list. I got past that this
                          morning, but I was unable to get through the "check for duplicates".

                          Then I went directly to nFS to see how that would work, and I was able to
                          reserve them there. I hope that means that progress is being made. :-)

                          /Gunilla

                          _____

                          Terry D. Smith wrote:
                          > Dear NFS readers...
                          >
                          > Over the week-end nFS was updated to the August 2009 release of the
                          > program, and YES there were some significant changes. KNowing Gaylon,
                          > he will arrive at work Monday and find a TON of questions related to
                          > this release. I would think we need to give him a chance to look over
                          > the changes, adjust his code accordingly, and then re-release AQ to
                          > obsorb all the changes that were wrought. Things are broken, or not
                          > working right... so let's all note the errors, realize the source,
                          > and compassionaly give him and his team a chance to solve the issues.
                          >
                          > If you wish to learn more about the changes made and why some things
                          > are buggers up now, check the "help" section when nFS is available,
                          > and then "what's new!"
                          >
                          > ---- Terry
                          >
                          > On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 17:54:59 -0600, "Margaret Thompson"
                          > <meganndm@peoplepc. <mailto:meganndm%40peoplepc.com> com> wrote the
                          following:

                          >> I have noticed today that the new Temple Ordinances screen in nFS does
                          not show the ordinances I reserved directly from nFS in the list. It only
                          shows the names I reserved through AQ. When I go to the individuals it still
                          shows "Reserved". AQ does not bring in the names either that I reserved
                          directly from nFS. Anyone have any ideas. Gaylon?

                          >> Margaret

                        • register
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 10, 2009
                            It would be a great help if the screen 'Reserve Ordinances/Create Batches'
                            would present the names in alpha or even RIN order. Currently it is
                            difficult to find anyone on the list.

                          • register
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 14, 2009
                              I am trying to find a strategy to keep my records consistent with FS as
                              information is gathered and updated by myself and others. There is an
                              option under the FamilySearch pulldown to check for changes. Gaylon, if you
                              are monitoring this, the terms 'updates', 'changed', updated, etc. appear to
                              be used interchangeably in the various windows, menus and help screens.
                              Consistency would avoid confusion - at least I am confused.

                              If I check for 'changes' I expect that I am looking for changes that have
                              been made to FS since I last synced. Is that correct? Or is it also
                              looking for changes that I have made in my local database since I last
                              synced?

                              If this checking is looking only at changes made to FS that works on one
                              direction. I can generate a report for changes that I have made in my local
                              database following any date I define so that works for the other direction
                              if I can remember when I last generated this report.

                              As I reach my objective of having my entire database synchronized, including
                              parents and siblings, a great period of time will have passed and I really
                              don't want to have to start at the beginning again. On the other hand,
                              maybe I should not care, but then I would lose the opportunity to
                              collaborate.

                              Help is needed here.

                            • register
                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 15, 2009
                                Help.

                                I have made many reservations in the past and am now running into a problem.
                                The person has Baptism completed. Other ordinances are 'ready'. I checked
                                in FS directly and the same is true.

                                I click 'ready' , I 'reserve', I agree to the church policies.

                                Now when I am returned to the 'Reserve Ordinances'Create Batches' screen the
                                ordinances have not been reserved. I have tried several times, I have shut
                                down AQ and then opened and tried again.

                                Any ideas?

                              • register
                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 24, 2009
                                  I see that AQ ,when comparing ordinances from the temple reservation system,
                                  uses an expanded temple name. For example SEATT becomes Seattle Washington
                                  Temple. Is this the new look and standard of FS? Is there an option
                                  whereby AQ will make all of the conversions for me?