Re: [AQ_NFS] Doing the work (was: ? on reserving ordin)

  • Bob Penry
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31, 2013
      I think that this discussion is getting a little too personal.

      Everyone doesn’t have the same level of skill in research. Duplicated ordinance work abounds. Originally this was caused because everything was done by paper and research was duplicated. There was no easy way
      to check for work done. However, in the last few years, duplication is mostly caused by sloppy research. Too many people don’t bother to check to see if work is already done. There are still way too many names
      that either need to be combined or separated.

      The larger our file becomes, the more corrupt it becomes. There will be individuals added where the only documentation exists in books. Birth, Death, Marriage records will be non-existent. I have some individuals
      whose information only exists in a compiled county history. I know where they are buried, but the tombstones are no longer readable. They settled the area in the early 1800’s. How accurate is the history book?
      Entries in country histories were done by subscription. You could put anything in that you wanted. It didn’t have to be verified. The more you paid, the more you could have entered. Since this is the only record,
      did I do the temple work? Absolutely. I asked the Temple President about it. His response. If you submit a name from the record and the person did not exist, only time has been wasted. But if the person did
      exist and you do not do the work, that individual is on the other side of the veil, perhaps in tears. I also asked him about how to do sealings for children whose father died and the mother remarried and was sealed
      to the second husband while living. His response. After they are all deceased, seal them every way possible. The Lord will choose and there will be no one unhappy with His choice. What wisdom!

      We just had an incident where a person submitted names knowing the work had already been done. I will call that person “A” Why? Did A simply want to do the work and think that A’s work will supplant the others?
      Does A think that the more times it is done, the more acceptable it is to the Lord? Did A know the individuals personally and figure the only way the individuals are going to get to a kingdom is by having the work
      done so many times, it will confuse the Book of Life and let the family sneak through the gate?

      However, all levity aside; if we follow the rules, we cannot go wrong. If you don’t have time to read the rules, stop until you do have time.

      Never, never, never assume that information on Family Tree is correct, just because it is there. Don’t get carried away building a tree just because it goes on and on for centuries. If I were to do this on one of my lines,
      guess what – My 39th great grandparents are King Arthur and Guinevere! But it’s on the tree – got to be right. Right? And please don’t tell me about your line that goes back to Adam and Eve!

      Please remember that Family History research is more an art then a science. Only through blood tests and DNA, can a birth relationship be absolutely proven. You can only assume that your great-grandparents were
      faithful to each other and that your great-grandfather is really the parent of your grand-father. Every relationship must be taken on faith that the documentation is correct.

      I have one line where a “professional” researcher in England made up a connection to royalty to satisfy an American client. This occurred in the 1800’s. Those of us who belong to a very large New England family
      organization are very familiar with this bogus research. I have another line where the family sailed to America from England and a historian in Virginia said they were from a parish near London and added the name
      of the parish as part of the surname. However, when I found that they went to the port in England from Wales and I found their information in the Welsh National Library in Aberystwyth, Wales. Again, you can
      never assume that information is correct unless you can see an official document, and even then there can be mistakes. My own Father’s name was misspelled on his birth certificate!

      Can you have a “perfect file”? I don’t think so. As both an indexer and arbitrator, I can assure you that 100% accuracy only exists in fairy tales and on TV. Examples:

      I have a relative who signed his name differently on a series of documents. Sometimes it was VanMeter, other times it was Van Meter. Which is correct? Birth Certificate says Van Meter.
      Marriage License says VanMeter. His father spelled it Van Metre. My Grandfather was a Gillum, with 11 children, my Aunts and Uncles - three Gillum, six Gillam, two Gilliam.

      The work is important, and we all need to do the best we can, but we should never point fingers or criticize. We can only instruct, assist, and be patient. We are all working for the same goal.

      EATIS IN PACE DATA GESIS (Go in peace and may all your words be processed)