Re: [AQ_NFS] ? on Reserving Ordinances

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 31, 2013
      Another thought just struck me. We have been instructed _not_ to do
      any work for people who we have no ancestral relationship. The Church
      has been very adamant about this and has gone so far as to warn
      members that if they perform work for those people with whom they have
      no relationship, they can have their abilities severely curtailed.

      My wife and I served in the Family and Church History mission. I was
      in the training zone and all new missionaries were instructed to bring
      in a copy of their family history data file (GEDCOM, .paf, or any of
      those programs that support personal files). We found _without_
      exception that every person coming into the mission, including those
      who were professionals and even published books on the subject, had
      problems in their data file.

      These problems including unrelated pedigrees/names, as well as
      duplicates and circular connections (a son was his own grandfather,
      for instance).

      It is very important for each person to make their own AQ file as
      clean as possible. Fortunately, there are several reports, as well as
      the Name List, that can assist in identifying and fixing the problems.

      By using the autofind feature in ORTS, a person runs the risk of
      submitting names for which they are _not_ authorized by the Church to
      perform temple work. It is very important that every person that
      anyone submits with a FOR make sure that they have a valid
      relationship established with that person.

      At one time, I submitted work for the parents of spouses of people
      with whom I had a valid relationship. I was wrong in doing so. I could
      have the work done only for the spouse or otherwise legally connected
      non-relative, but not their parents with whom I have no family ties. I
      need to follow up since I've run into a number of instances where the
      unrelated (other than through marriage) spouse had more than one wife
      -- and also check to see if I'm responsible for the half-brothers and
      sisters to my family. (Note: I have submitted a request for this
      information to FamilySearch.)