Re: [AQ_NFS] ? on Reserving Ordinances

  • Margaret Thompson
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 29, 2013
      A batch can only be 50 people. If you have more than 50 selected it will not
      print all of them. Once you print an FOR they will be removed from your
      reserve ordinances list and you can access them through manage batches.

      Margaret

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 29, 2013
        I understand what you are saying.

        My question was, why is it not showing me more than the original batch of
        38 who were processed? Shouldn't it be showing me all those who are
        qualified for work like it did with the first 38?

        kathy

      • Margaret Thompson
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 30, 2013
          I have never seen the ORTS bring in names on its own. Advanced Focus/Filter
          will show you the qualified names for ordinances but you have to send them
          to ordinance reservation yourself. Sorry I don't know anything about it
          happening automatically.

          Margaret

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 30, 2013
            In addition, it is up to each member to make sure that the ordinance
            work hasn't been already performed because there are two or more
            instances of the same name, marriage, and so on.

            In looking through the thread of this discussion, it appears that
            Kathy is expecting the names for which temple work has not been done
            to magically appear in the list. That won't happen, mainly because the
            member must request the work be performed, after making sure
            everything is correct.

            Many years ago, shortly after the Ancestral file was released, I heard
            a member of our Stake Presidency get up and talk about how wonderful
            it was that he could go through Ancestral File records and find those
            members of his family who could have work done for them.

            Unfortunately, he didn't bother checking to see if the work had
            already been done. He was depending upon the family files that were
            submitted to create the ancestral file as his _only_ source. He
            presumed that everything was ready.

            That's a huge mistake and one that no responsible member should ever
            make. Even if you trust the material in Family Tree, the fact remains
            that Family Tree records are _not_ primary or even secondary sources.
            At best, they can be used as guides to locating validating records,
            but they should never be trusted as a valid source of information
            until they have been fully and completely documented.

            We had a saying at the mission: Family History without documentation
            is fiction. The new Family Tree makes it easy to search for existing
            information in the Indexed records of FamilySearch and attach them to
            individual records, thus validating the information that is available.

            The first and foremost responsibility is to prove the record is
            correct and to document what you did to prove it. LDS have a
            reputation among the professional genealogical community of being very
            sloppy and that the records are not trustworthy unless they are
            properly documented.

            Tom

            On Tue, 30 Jul 2013 10:36:00 -0600, you wrote:

            >I have never seen the ORTS bring in names on its own. Advanced Focus/Filter
            >will show you the qualified names for ordinances but you have to send them
            >to ordinance reservation yourself. Sorry I don't know anything about it
            >happening automatically.
            >
            >Margaret

          • PCDirector
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 30, 2013
              No. My situation was:

              When I went to reserve the initial group of people, AQ found 38 people who
              were "qualified" to have their work done. I reserved their work, printed
              out the FOR and sent it on its way.

              NOW, no matter what I try and do in ORTS, ALL it shows me are those
              original 38. I can't remove them, and I can't add to them.

              My question is: WHY was it that ORTS will not move past/delete/add to the
              list of the original 38?

              To add a new wrinkle to it, as of this morning, that batch of 38 is GONE
              from the Manage Batch system, and my Reserve Ordinance List (which by the
              way, has an auto-populate "qualified" feature, FYI) is COMPLETELY CLEAR.

              I haven't touched the ORTS since last week, and have done nothing different.

              This morning is a week to the day since I printed out the FOR.

              So my additional question now is: WHAT CHANGED? Or is there some kind of
              time-lock in AQ?

              Just saying. It's pretty odd.

              Kathy

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 30, 2013
                Okay, now we have some more information that may be behind the
                problem.

                First, ORTS, in the batch mode should show the original batch,
                particularly if you kept a copy of the FOR on your hard drive. Update
                ordinances should check all linked AQ to FT records to see if any
                ordinances have been performed. In addition, if you chose the options
                to include Confirmation and Initiatory, Update Submitted to In
                Progress and Create a list of updates, you should be able to generate
                a list of changes made to your AQ file from actions in FT. Note,
                however, that certain entries (Not needed is one of them, and
                different dates for the ordinances) will not generate any entries in
                the list. According to Gaylon, this is done to keep the Update
                Ordinances running as fast as possible.

                And, until all the ordinances are complete, the names will continue to
                appear in the ORTS Manage Batches listing.

                Keep in mind that ORTS does _not_ find names to be reserved.

                It provides a list of names that you have already reserved in AQ.

                The Reserve Ordinance displays the list of the names that you have
                currently reserved, but not produced a FOR for. All reservations must
                be made from the Family and Pedigree views in AQ, but _only_ if you
                have selected "Show temple icons" from the ORTS menu.

                The temple icons tells you if there are ordinances that can and need
                to be done (an arrow), if all work to be done is in process (an
                exclamation symbol), or if all work has been completed (a check mark).
                The priority of the arrow, ! symbol, and check mark lets you know what
                is happening with the individual and the ordinances.

                I think that when AQ found the 38 people, it wasn't finding the people
                who were "qualified," but those who you had reserved either through
                new FamilySearch or Family Tree. If you haven't reserved any other
                people through nFS (now no longer functioning) or FT, then AQ will not
                "discover" the names.

                As far as the Manage Batches function, I always run a reconciliation
                to make sure the list is complete. Otherwise, a glitch in your data
                can cause a batch to disappear.

                Also, I would suggest that you run a Check/Repair on your data, just
                to make sure that some action (closing out AQ with a power failure (or
                crash), for instance during any kind of update operation) has not
                corrupted your local file. It happens (unfortunately) and the results
                can be unpredictable. If the corruption is bad enough, you can also
                have AQ rebuild your database.

                Finally, make sure that you are always runnig with the latest build in
                AQ. Build 12 had problems that were resolved in build 13.

                Thanks again for clarifying what you were doing.

                Tom

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 31, 2013
                  I have never used the auto populate feature, mostly because I want to
                  make sure that my records are as complete as I can make them before I
                  do any temple work. Because I compare my AQ record against that of FT,
                  I can make sure that FT is also accurate and that the record in FT
                  matches that in my AQ file.

                  Now that I've played around with the find qualified names, my thoughts
                  are that until you make changes in AQ to records that do not have
                  enough information to match with a FT record, you will not see any
                  more "qualified" ordinances.

                  Personally, I would just as soon see that autofind feature go away,
                  since it many LDS do not understand the importance of validated and
                  accurate (and complete) records. The Lord's instructions in verse 24
                  of section 128 of the Doctrine and Covenants emphasizes the importance
                  of making your record the best it can be: "Let us, therefore, as a
                  church and a people, and as Latter-day Saints, offer unto the Lord an
                  offering in righteousness; and let us present in his holy temple, when
                  it is finished, a book containing the records of our dead, which shall
                  be worthy of all acceptation."

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 31, 2013
                    Another thought just struck me. We have been instructed _not_ to do
                    any work for people who we have no ancestral relationship. The Church
                    has been very adamant about this and has gone so far as to warn
                    members that if they perform work for those people with whom they have
                    no relationship, they can have their abilities severely curtailed.

                    My wife and I served in the Family and Church History mission. I was
                    in the training zone and all new missionaries were instructed to bring
                    in a copy of their family history data file (GEDCOM, .paf, or any of
                    those programs that support personal files). We found _without_
                    exception that every person coming into the mission, including those
                    who were professionals and even published books on the subject, had
                    problems in their data file.

                    These problems including unrelated pedigrees/names, as well as
                    duplicates and circular connections (a son was his own grandfather,
                    for instance).

                    It is very important for each person to make their own AQ file as
                    clean as possible. Fortunately, there are several reports, as well as
                    the Name List, that can assist in identifying and fixing the problems.

                    By using the autofind feature in ORTS, a person runs the risk of
                    submitting names for which they are _not_ authorized by the Church to
                    perform temple work. It is very important that every person that
                    anyone submits with a FOR make sure that they have a valid
                    relationship established with that person.

                    At one time, I submitted work for the parents of spouses of people
                    with whom I had a valid relationship. I was wrong in doing so. I could
                    have the work done only for the spouse or otherwise legally connected
                    non-relative, but not their parents with whom I have no family ties. I
                    need to follow up since I've run into a number of instances where the
                    unrelated (other than through marriage) spouse had more than one wife
                    -- and also check to see if I'm responsible for the half-brothers and
                    sisters to my family. (Note: I have submitted a request for this
                    information to FamilySearch.)