Re: [AQ_NFS] Review of Ancestral Quest - not happy

  • Jerry Barrett
    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 21, 2013
      Dora, I do not work for AQ - just a happy user. I started with the DOS
      version of PAF, and went with AQ when they offered a Windows alternative.

      I can appreciate changing an interface to suit your needs. At work, I use
      different colors to indicate different servers, etc. I have changed the colors
      and fonts in the AQ interface, and that is a nice ability, but what keeps me
      with AQ is how it allows me to work, and allows me to enter data in my own way
      - using copy keys, memorized citations, and quick entry places. I have tweaked
      the citation settings to meet the requirements of different groups, formatting
      footnotes which don't have to be modified when published. The multiple output
      formats, from printed reports to web pages allow me to share my research with
      others. I also like having the AQ basic "free" version to share with others
      who want to try to maintain / expand their family once I have completed the
      initial research. As a former software developer, I also appreciate the AQ
      support team. They monitor this board, and are responsive to the user
      community. There are regular updates, and extended functionality which are
      available for us to use.

      I have fellow researchers who like other genealogy tools - but I haven't found
      one that fits my work methods as well as AQ. While I appreciate a good
      interface, it is the flesh and bones that will determine the right tool for
      you to choose.

      I wish you good luck with AQ, and hope you can find a way to have it meet your
      research style.

      Jerry

      From: "Dora Smith" <mailto:tiggernut24%40yahoo.com>
      To: <mailto:AQ_NFS%40yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [AQ_NFS] Review of Ancestral Quest - not happy

      I just upgraded Ancestral Quest, since it is supposedly very similar to PAF
      and interacts with Family Search.
      I don’t like it. First of all the screen view is ugly, and you can’t
      change it to anything not ugly. You have a very small choice of color
      schemes. I tried every option, and they’re ALL ugly. I have to sit there
      and look at it hour after hour; why would I want to use anything with ugly
      colors? PAF let you change the colors individually, to anything you wanted
      to.
      If the interface is ugly, I won’t use it, no matter what else it does. At
      the moment I’m using Roots Magic.
      Dora

    • Bob Penry
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 21, 2013
        I found the “skins” in AQ to be quite vibrant and pleasing. I am a programmer and feel that the developers have done a great job with the interface. I use dual HD monitors and am very pleased with the results. The only thing I would change is the ability to link the skin to the database rather than to the program itself. Note the skin that appears on opening AQ is the skin used when it last closed. If a skin could be linked file specific then multiple files could be opened with different linked skins instead of having to change the skin for the second opened file. I work on three different lines (my Mother’s, my birth Father’s, and my adopted Father’s), each with its own file. I often have two or three of these files open simultaneously, often on two monitors. Having different skins helps me remember which is which without having to look at the file name at the top of the page.

        My wife and I are professional genealogists and often conduct workshops and teach people how to use different programs. We own and teach Ancestral Quest, Legacy, Roots Magic, Family Tree Maker and Master Genealogist. We have beta tested for several of these products in addition to having been beta testers for over 10 years on LDS products (NFS, FS, Labs). What do we use for our own files? Ancestral Quest. Why? It has been the most consistent of all programs we have used. It is easy to understand, user friendly, and the programming staff is quick to adjust to the needs of the consumer. Each of the programs has its good and bad points, but we have found that AQ consistently has the most good points. I do not recommend any program over another to clients, but I do not mind telling them which one I personally use. Accuracy and ease of use always trumps color choice. To be really quite honest, I would continue to use AQ even if the skins were shades of pink and chartreuse!

        The majority of our clients are LDS and there is only one of the programs we tell them to avoid, at least until that company decides to get on board and establish a link to Family Search. Enough said.

        Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2013 7:57 PM
        To: AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 22, 2013
          Dora:

          You initially mentioned that there was "a very small choice of color schemes." I have heard from some users that they don't notice the scroll bar to the right of the list of color scheme names. If you don't notice the scroll bar, you might think that there are only 7 choices. There are actually 10 more choices above these. The choices at the bottom of the list are a combination of some choices for people who need high-contrast schemes due to eye sensitivity, and of more neutral colors. The choices at the top of the list have more vibrant colors. We had initially set the "Moccasin" skin to be AQ's default, but after some users didn't like that scheme, we decided to default to a more neutral scheme, hence the "Basic" scheme became the default. Why don't you try the "Moccasin," or "Mohave," or "Blue" themes from the upper portion of the list?

          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 22, 2013
            Gaylon...

            Color schemes do not work in the nFS/FT interface. When will that
            start working... It is hard on the eyes to switch from soothing
            colors to plain black and white. HELP
            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 22, 2013
              Terry:

              The color options of AQ -- whether the "skins" or your own custom settings -- are only intended for the Pedigree and Family Views. The other views are mostly like a piece of paper -- black text on a white background, sometimes with bits of color that have specific meanings. There are no current plans for customizing colors for these other views. (However, for the Individual Summary view, there are some font color options that are not related to these other color schemes.)

              Color schemes do not work in the nFS/FT interface. When will that
              start working... It is hard on the eyes to switch from soothing
              colors to plain black and white. HELP

            • Peter
              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 22, 2013
                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 22, 2013
                  Peter,

                  The color choices are on the general tab of the preferences window -

                  When you click on the preferences tab, what is the last thing you see at the
                  lower left hand side?

                  Have you tried moving the preferences window?

                  What resolution are you using, and I will try and duplicate you situation and
                  see if there is a workaround.

                  Jerry B.

                  Message 8 of 27 , Jul 22, 2013
                    Peter:

                    With certain combinations of monitor resolutions, this can happen.

                    Here's what you need to do:

                    1) Right-Click anywhere on the desktop of your Windows to bring up a menu.
                    2) From the menu, select "Personalize"
                    3) Find the option that will allow you to "Adjust Font Size (DPI)"
                    4) When you get to the screen that lets you adjust font size, I think you will find that your font is larger than the "normal", which is 96 DPI. You can make adjustments in one of two ways to fix this screen in AQ:
                    a) You can adjust your font size down to 96 DPI. This will affect how big things appear on your machine for everything you do. You may like this, and you may not.
                    b) You can click the box to "Use Windows XP style DPI scaling". This checkbox might be on the screen you are on, or you might have to click an 'Advanced' or 'Custom' button to find this option.

                    If you're using a larger than normal font, by using the "Windows XP" type of scaling, this problem should go away.

                    Message 9 of 27 , Jul 22, 2013
                      Thanks Jerry,  my replies inserted;

                      -The color choices are on the general tab of the preferences window -
                      Nope not for me.

                      -When you click on the preferences tab, what is the last thing you see at the
                      -lower left hand side?

                      The U.S. and European date entry options.

                      -Have you tried moving the preferences window?
                      Just moving it won't make a difference.   Also no arrows appear at the border of the window to enlarge.

                      -What resolution are you using, and I will try and duplicate you situation and
                      -see if there is a workaround.
                      1920x1080 on the 24" and 1280x1024 on the 19"   Moving the program over to the 19" monitor does not make a difference in what is displayed on the preferences window.
                      Thanks for your quick reply.
                      Peter

                      Message 10 of 27 , Jul 22, 2013
                        Peter:

                        I just realized that I should have pointed you to one of the FAQS on our website that address this issue:

                        http://www.ancquest.com/faqs.htm#TechSearchColumn

                        If my instructions were not as easy to follow as I would have hoped, try the above link.

                        Message 11 of 27 , Jul 22, 2013
                          Thanks Gaylon,  reducing the font size for all the OS and programs would go to far.
                          But the XP scaling fixed the problem.
                          Thanks for your prompt reply.
                          Sincerely

                          Message 12 of 27 , Jul 22, 2013
                            Hi all,
                            when in Ordinance reserve and tracking and going to Manage Batches there is nothing showing yet because I never used AQ to actually submit names.
                            My questions and observations:

                            Is it possible and how do I add a previous submitted FOR?

                            Can I add an FOR for other people.  ie; I submitted names from my data under my sisters name.

                            When reconciling, the program does not show any progress. There is no indicator of what the program is doing.  And after almost 30 minutes I attempted to close the Manage Submitted Batches window and AQ crashed.

                            Thank you,
                            Peter

                          • Peter
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jul 22, 2013
                              Sorry Gaylon, I spoke too soon.  XP scaling caused several other programs to open so small that their menus are impossible to read

                              Peter

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 27 , Jul 22, 2013
                                If you have never used this freature before, than you will need to try
                                the reconcile option. If your user name is attached to FORs than it
                                will populate your people in the batcj screen. If you have a lot of
                                FOR s that you have submitted as I did, it may take a while for it to
                                load them all. Once they have been loaded subsequent runs will not
                                take as long, but I had over 1000 names submitted and it took a while
                                to load them all.

                                On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 14:35:56 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

                                >Hi all,
                                >when in Ordinance reserve and tracking and going to Manage Batches there is nothing showing yet because I never used AQ to actually submit names.
                                >My questions and observations:
                                >
                                >Is it possible and how do I add a previous submitted FOR?
                                >
                                >Can I add an FOR for other people.  ie; I submitted names from my data under my sisters name.
                                >
                                >When reconciling, the program does not show any progress. There is no indicator of what the program is doing.  And after almost 30 minutes I attempted to close the Manage Submitted Batches window and AQ crashed.
                                >

                                >Thank you,
                                >Peter

                              • Terry Smith
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jul 22, 2013
                                  AQ will not stop when sorting this index even though there is a cancel
                                  option available. I have noted this problem before, and is still not
                                  fixed.
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jul 22, 2013
                                    Make sure you have the latest build of AQ14. AQ12 works only with nFS
                                    and will no longer work properly, so if you do not have AQ14, build
                                    13, you will need to update your copy of AQ.

                                    XP can cause problems with some windows. You'll have to expand them if
                                    at all possible and then you should be fine.

                                    Tom

                                  • Peter
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jul 23, 2013
                                      Hi Terry,  yes you are right it worked.
                                      Tried the reconcile option last night again but had to shut down the system because of lightning. So this morning did it again and after 4 hours we came home and AQ had added all the temple submission batches.
                                      What a wonderful tool this is. When reviewing the names we can see all the people that have individual ordinances completed but it also shows their missing ordinances.

                                      Mostly missing SP and SS sealings in my case.

                                      My complements to Gaylon and his team. This is a great tool to find closely related people in your data who are still missing ordinances.

                                      Thank you Gaylon and team for this very easy to use  part of AQ

                                      Peter

                                      ________________________________
                                      If you have never used this freature before, than you will need to try
                                      the reconcile option. If your user name is attached to FORs than it
                                      will populate your people in the batcj screen. If you have a lot of
                                      FOR s that you have submitted as I did, it may take a while for it to
                                      load them all. Once they have been loaded subsequent runs will not
                                      take as long, but I had over 1000 names submitted and it took a while
                                      to load them all.

                                      On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 14:35:56 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

                                      >Hi all,
                                      >when in Ordinance reserve and tracking and going to Manage Batches there is nothing showing yet because I never used AQ to actually submit names.
                                      >My questions and observations:
                                      >
                                      >Is it possible and how do I add a previous submitted FOR?
                                      >
                                      >Can I add an FOR for other people.  ie; I submitted names from my data under my sisters name.
                                      >
                                      >When reconciling, the program does not show any progress. There is no indicator of what the program is doing.  And after almost 30 minutes I attempted to close the Manage Submitted Batches window and AQ crashed.
                                      >

                                      >Thank you,
                                      >Peter

                                    • Terry Smith
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jul 23, 2013
                                        Hi Peter...

                                        Go to the temple and perform some of those sealings.... then when you
                                        get home after the temple is closed and has posted your work.

                                        From the batches screen select update all. AQ qill go out and find
                                        all the ordinances that were performed that day, and you can then
                                        Update them one by one you will see that it automates the process
                                        completly. The only hardship is that if you turn them over to the
                                        temple, it sometimes takes forever to get the work performed. Even
                                        with so many temples it seems the work is still up to you. So go
                                        often to the temple and you can see the work move forward.

                                        --- Terry

                                        On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 11:32:34 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

                                        >Hi Terry,  yes you are right it worked.
                                        >Tried the reconcile option last night again but had to shut down the system because of lightning. So this morning did it again and after 4 hours we came home and AQ had added all the temple submission batches.
                                        >What a wonderful tool this is. When reviewing the names we can see all the people that have individual ordinances completed but it also shows their missing ordinances.
                                        >
                                        >Mostly missing SP and SS sealings in my case.
                                        >
                                        >My complements to Gaylon and his team. This is a great tool to find closely related people in your data who are still missing ordinances.
                                        >
                                        >Thank you Gaylon and team for this very easy to use  part of AQ
                                        >

                                        >Peter
                                        >

                                        >________________________________

                                      • Peter
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jul 23, 2013
                                          Thanks Terry, we have done that quite a bit already.  Just last month with some of my
                                          grandkids.  It was the first time for my granddaughter.

                                          Being an convert I have submitted a lot of my names to temple file, there are just way to many for me and my family to do.
                                          They get done relatively fast. Just male names can take up to three years for endowments. But that is OK as long as they get done.  I figure they will make it happen from behind the veil if they want it bad enough.

                                          Thanks again for your help with working the batch updater.

                                          Peter

                                          Go to the temple and perform some of those sealings.... then when you
                                          get home after the temple is closed and has posted your work.

                                          From the batches screen select update all. AQ qill go out and find