News about AQ and FamilySearch

    Message 1 of 27 , Jul 19, 2013
      We just published a news item on the Internet about Ancestral Quest and its recent certification (received on June 21) with FamilySearch Family Tree.

      If you're interested, here is a link to read the full article:

      http://www.ancquest.com/pressreleases/pr130719aq.htm

    • sm99923
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 20, 2013
        Well noted . . . any indication of when the next certification stage will be
        reached - "Tree Share+" - "The product has the features of Share plus the
        collaborative features including Discussions, Sources, Watch and Change
        History.".

        I have a backlog of sources I would really prefer to use synchronisation for
        rather than keying them in to both AQ and FT. Can some hope be given?

        Plus . . . looking at the FT certification categories . . . where does "Tree
        Connect" fit in with AQ -

        "Tree Connect: The product references online artifacts such as records,
        photos, documents, and media that can be attached to persons in the Family
        Tree."

        Is "Tree Connect" part of "Tree Share"?

        ===Stewart

        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 21, 2013
          Stewart,
          I have been working at transferring my sources from AQ to Family Tree by pulling up a double screen with my AQ data on one side and FT on the other. I first go to "create a new source" on my FT person and type a title for the source. Then I copy and paste my source information from AQ to FT "Where the source is found". I then cut and paste the specific information to the "Describe the source" area. It takes a little time but it sure beats typing it all in again.

          If there is an easier way, I'd be glad to know about it.

          Welda

          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 21, 2013
            I just upgraded Ancestral Quest, since it is supposedly very similar to PAF and interacts with Family Search.
            I don’t like it. First of all the screen view is ugly, and you can’t change it to anything not ugly. You have a very small choice of color schemes. I tried every option, and they’re ALL ugly. I have to sit there and look at it hour after hour; why would I want to use anything with ugly colors? PAF let you change the colors individually, to anything you wanted to.
            If the interface is ugly, I won’t use it, no matter what else it does. At the moment I’m using Roots Magic.
            Dora

          • Jerry Barrett
            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 21, 2013
              Dora,

              I'm surprised to hear that I have been using an ugly for years.

              Perhaps you just don't care for the predefined "Skin" colors. If you want to
              adjust the colors like in PAF - then in the preferences screen, on the general
              tab, look in the lower left hand corner. Uncheck the "Use Skins" button, and
              you will see a "Colors" button. That should bring you back to the color screen
              lime PAF.

              I hope you don't judge AQ by just the screen color - beauty is only skin deep
              - and AQ has a lot to offer.

              Jerry B.

              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 21, 2013
                Got it – alright! Now I’ll give it another try.

                You really need to make that more intuitive – the colors button there WITH the “use skins” button, and make it more clear that the skins are just the predefined options. It looked like using skins was the only option if you didn’t like cold blue and white.

                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 21, 2013
                  My thoughts -- to each, their own.

                  I used MS Word for years and many people said that Word Perfect was
                  much, much better. I tried it and found it awkward to use, if not
                  impossible. Nothing was remotely the same between the two programs and
                  it was like trying to learn a new language. The reverse was true of
                  people who used Word Perfect for years and tried to use MS Word.

                  Today's MS Word is nothing like the versions that I used and liked. MS
                  kept tweaking it and moving things between major releases until I gave
                  up and went with Open Office. It was most like the MS Word that I used
                  in the past and I still use it today.

                  The same is true of Genealogy Software. There are, essentially four
                  major players in the market and a sub-player.

                  Roots Magic
                  Ancestral Quest
                  Legacy
                  Family Tree Maker

                  The subplayer is Family Insight, which provided a good interface
                  between PAF and nFS (and now FT).

                  Each of the major packages has their fans. They each have their own
                  unique "feel", but they all do essentially the same thing. They allow
                  you to put together an off-line family history file for families. Of
                  the four mentioned, only the first three are ideally suited for LDS
                  use because of the developing interface with FamilyTree (FT).

                  And, like MS Word and Word Perfect, they have very similar features
                  and capabilities. None of them are what I consider fully intuitive --
                  that is, a person can quickly and easily figure out everything they
                  can do with the program. The AQ manual is _huge_, but if one is moving
                  from one of the programs to AQ, they need to really read the manual to
                  find out all the hidden power of the program and how to make the most
                  of it.

                  I've purchased and "played with" all four programs, including Family
                  Insight.

                  My conclusions is that each has weaknesses and for me, Roots Magic was
                  horrid at printing out charts starting with me. It has a field for
                  nicknames and I had several growing up. I dutifully entered those
                  nicknames in the field, loaded up a limited version of my family
                  (largely just my ancesters), and printed out a Pedigree Chart. The
                  heading _wrapped_ and over wrote the next line. Why? Those pesky
                  nicknames. I looked for a while but could find no means to turn off
                  printing the nickname with my name. For that one reason, I stopped
                  using Roots Magic.

                  My thoughts of what it did? Ugh-Lee.

                  I haven't played with Legacy, but what I saw was nice. I don't know if
                  it has any real drawbacks, but I suppose it does.

                  As a long-time PAF user, I found AQ to be the most "like" what I was
                  used to. Sure, the screen was more crowded, but it was still
                  relatively clean. I use a larger high-resolution monitor (17"
                  diagonal) so on it, the screens are not cluttered and I don't have to
                  scroll to see anything, but I would not want to try using it on a
                  "netbook" computer with its tiny screen.

                  Family Tree Maker has been and continues to be more hype than anything
                  "special" especially since it has no means to link with nFS or FT. Now
                  that Ancestry has purchased it, there are some advantages in
                  connection with Ancestry, but I find Ancestry's on-line trees suitable
                  for my purposes. There is no need for Family Tree Maker if one of the
                  LDS-linked packages works just as well.

                  Now Family Insight -- <sigh>. Well, they are aware of the problems
                  I've experienced and have given their programmers something to do to
                  resolve the problem. If you us AQ to download Confirmation and
                  Initiatory data, Family Insight will do a very good job corrupting
                  your file when you go to save -- It does not properly rebuild the AQ
                  file.

                  I mention Family Insight because of two features, which either are not
                  in AQ or are not as "connected": 1 - The ability to see additional
                  unrelated pedigrees _and_ delete them, and 2 - A connection to
                  Standard Finder (in labs.familysearch.org) and the ability to globally
                  examine each place that in not in the Standard Finder and correct the
                  entries in the AQ datafile. Name correcting in AQ is not easy and
                  there is no easy way to examine names and pinpoint those that need
                  correcting. Furthermore, whenever you add a name and data from FT to
                  AQ, you run the very real risk of adding a bad or badly-formed name to
                  the file.

                  Once the FamilyInsight programmers solve the problem with rewriting
                  the AQ file, then I'll be a very happy camper with respect to those
                  rogue pedigrees (I have only a handful and they are all small) and be
                  able to correct the place names in a way that I find very useful.

                  Anyway, the whole point of this is that each person will like one or
                  more features of one program or another and, essentially, hate the
                  others. It gets back to the serving two masters concept of the gospel.
                  It can't be done easily, which is why I stick with AQ as my personal
                  favorite -- it does everything I need it to and produces the kinds of
                  reports I want. As Gaylon continues to work with the Church on the
                  AQ/FT interface, it just keeps getting better and better -- for me.

                  Tom
                  (50 years doing family research this fall!).

                  On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 15:56:17 -0500, you wrote:

                  >I just upgraded Ancestral Quest, since it is supposedly very similar to PAF and interacts with Family Search.
                  >I don’t like it. First of all the screen view is ugly, and you can’t change it to anything not ugly. You have a very small choice of color schemes. I tried every option, and they’re ALL ugly. I have to sit there and look at it hour after hour; why would I want to use anything with ugly colors? PAF let you change the colors individually, to anything you wanted to.
                  >If the interface is ugly, I won’t use it, no matter what else it does. At the moment I’m using Roots Magic.
                  >Dora

                • Dora Smith
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jul 21, 2013
                    Jerry, I don’t know if you work for Ancestral Quest or not, but I thought maybe I’d better point out that even most of my fellow data entry workers won’t use an ugly interface if they can help it; for instance if we have to use a command window most people change the colors.

                    But some people don’t mind white on black or whatever.

                    Dora

                    Message 9 of 27 , Jul 21, 2013
                      Dora, I do not work for AQ - just a happy user. I started with the DOS
                      version of PAF, and went with AQ when they offered a Windows alternative.

                      I can appreciate changing an interface to suit your needs. At work, I use
                      different colors to indicate different servers, etc. I have changed the colors
                      and fonts in the AQ interface, and that is a nice ability, but what keeps me
                      with AQ is how it allows me to work, and allows me to enter data in my own way
                      - using copy keys, memorized citations, and quick entry places. I have tweaked
                      the citation settings to meet the requirements of different groups, formatting
                      footnotes which don't have to be modified when published. The multiple output
                      formats, from printed reports to web pages allow me to share my research with
                      others. I also like having the AQ basic "free" version to share with others
                      who want to try to maintain / expand their family once I have completed the
                      initial research. As a former software developer, I also appreciate the AQ
                      support team. They monitor this board, and are responsive to the user
                      community. There are regular updates, and extended functionality which are
                      available for us to use.

                      I have fellow researchers who like other genealogy tools - but I haven't found
                      one that fits my work methods as well as AQ. While I appreciate a good
                      interface, it is the flesh and bones that will determine the right tool for
                      you to choose.

                      I wish you good luck with AQ, and hope you can find a way to have it meet your
                      research style.

                      Jerry

                      Message 10 of 27 , Jul 21, 2013
                        I found the “skins” in AQ to be quite vibrant and pleasing. I am a programmer and feel that the developers have done a great job with the interface. I use dual HD monitors and am very pleased with the results. The only thing I would change is the ability to link the skin to the database rather than to the program itself. Note the skin that appears on opening AQ is the skin used when it last closed. If a skin could be linked file specific then multiple files could be opened with different linked skins instead of having to change the skin for the second opened file. I work on three different lines (my Mother’s, my birth Father’s, and my adopted Father’s), each with its own file. I often have two or three of these files open simultaneously, often on two monitors. Having different skins helps me remember which is which without having to look at the file name at the top of the page.

                        My wife and I are professional genealogists and often conduct workshops and teach people how to use different programs. We own and teach Ancestral Quest, Legacy, Roots Magic, Family Tree Maker and Master Genealogist. We have beta tested for several of these products in addition to having been beta testers for over 10 years on LDS products (NFS, FS, Labs). What do we use for our own files? Ancestral Quest. Why? It has been the most consistent of all programs we have used. It is easy to understand, user friendly, and the programming staff is quick to adjust to the needs of the consumer. Each of the programs has its good and bad points, but we have found that AQ consistently has the most good points. I do not recommend any program over another to clients, but I do not mind telling them which one I personally use. Accuracy and ease of use always trumps color choice. To be really quite honest, I would continue to use AQ even if the skins were shades of pink and chartreuse!

                        The majority of our clients are LDS and there is only one of the programs we tell them to avoid, at least until that company decides to get on board and establish a link to Family Search. Enough said.

                        Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2013 7:57 PM
                        To: AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 27 , Jul 22, 2013
                          Dora:

                          You initially mentioned that there was "a very small choice of color schemes." I have heard from some users that they don't notice the scroll bar to the right of the list of color scheme names. If you don't notice the scroll bar, you might think that there are only 7 choices. There are actually 10 more choices above these. The choices at the bottom of the list are a combination of some choices for people who need high-contrast schemes due to eye sensitivity, and of more neutral colors. The choices at the top of the list have more vibrant colors. We had initially set the "Moccasin" skin to be AQ's default, but after some users didn't like that scheme, we decided to default to a more neutral scheme, hence the "Basic" scheme became the default. Why don't you try the "Moccasin," or "Mohave," or "Blue" themes from the upper portion of the list?

                          Message 12 of 27 , Jul 22, 2013
                            Gaylon...

                            Color schemes do not work in the nFS/FT interface. When will that
                            start working... It is hard on the eyes to switch from soothing
                            colors to plain black and white. HELP
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jul 22, 2013
                              Terry:

                              The color options of AQ -- whether the "skins" or your own custom settings -- are only intended for the Pedigree and Family Views. The other views are mostly like a piece of paper -- black text on a white background, sometimes with bits of color that have specific meanings. There are no current plans for customizing colors for these other views. (However, for the Individual Summary view, there are some font color options that are not related to these other color schemes.)

                              Color schemes do not work in the nFS/FT interface. When will that
                              start working... It is hard on the eyes to switch from soothing
                              colors to plain black and white. HELP

                            • Peter
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jul 22, 2013
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jul 22, 2013
                                  Peter,

                                  The color choices are on the general tab of the preferences window -

                                  When you click on the preferences tab, what is the last thing you see at the
                                  lower left hand side?

                                  Have you tried moving the preferences window?

                                  What resolution are you using, and I will try and duplicate you situation and
                                  see if there is a workaround.

                                  Jerry B.

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jul 22, 2013
                                    Peter:

                                    With certain combinations of monitor resolutions, this can happen.

                                    Here's what you need to do:

                                    1) Right-Click anywhere on the desktop of your Windows to bring up a menu.
                                    2) From the menu, select "Personalize"
                                    3) Find the option that will allow you to "Adjust Font Size (DPI)"
                                    4) When you get to the screen that lets you adjust font size, I think you will find that your font is larger than the "normal", which is 96 DPI. You can make adjustments in one of two ways to fix this screen in AQ:
                                    a) You can adjust your font size down to 96 DPI. This will affect how big things appear on your machine for everything you do. You may like this, and you may not.
                                    b) You can click the box to "Use Windows XP style DPI scaling". This checkbox might be on the screen you are on, or you might have to click an 'Advanced' or 'Custom' button to find this option.

                                    If you're using a larger than normal font, by using the "Windows XP" type of scaling, this problem should go away.

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jul 22, 2013
                                      Thanks Jerry,  my replies inserted;

                                      -The color choices are on the general tab of the preferences window -
                                      Nope not for me.

                                      -When you click on the preferences tab, what is the last thing you see at the
                                      -lower left hand side?

                                      The U.S. and European date entry options.

                                      -Have you tried moving the preferences window?
                                      Just moving it won't make a difference.   Also no arrows appear at the border of the window to enlarge.

                                      -What resolution are you using, and I will try and duplicate you situation and
                                      -see if there is a workaround.
                                      1920x1080 on the 24" and 1280x1024 on the 19"   Moving the program over to the 19" monitor does not make a difference in what is displayed on the preferences window.
                                      Thanks for your quick reply.
                                      Peter

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jul 22, 2013
                                        Peter:

                                        I just realized that I should have pointed you to one of the FAQS on our website that address this issue:

                                        http://www.ancquest.com/faqs.htm#TechSearchColumn

                                        If my instructions were not as easy to follow as I would have hoped, try the above link.

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jul 22, 2013
                                          Thanks Gaylon,  reducing the font size for all the OS and programs would go to far.
                                          But the XP scaling fixed the problem.
                                          Thanks for your prompt reply.
                                          Sincerely

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jul 22, 2013
                                            Hi all,
                                            when in Ordinance reserve and tracking and going to Manage Batches there is nothing showing yet because I never used AQ to actually submit names.
                                            My questions and observations:

                                            Is it possible and how do I add a previous submitted FOR?

                                            Can I add an FOR for other people.  ie; I submitted names from my data under my sisters name.

                                            When reconciling, the program does not show any progress. There is no indicator of what the program is doing.  And after almost 30 minutes I attempted to close the Manage Submitted Batches window and AQ crashed.

                                            Thank you,
                                            Peter

                                          • Peter
                                            Message 21 of 27 , Jul 22, 2013
                                              Sorry Gaylon, I spoke too soon.  XP scaling caused several other programs to open so small that their menus are impossible to read

                                              Peter

                                              ________________________________

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Jul 22, 2013
                                                If you have never used this freature before, than you will need to try
                                                the reconcile option. If your user name is attached to FORs than it
                                                will populate your people in the batcj screen. If you have a lot of
                                                FOR s that you have submitted as I did, it may take a while for it to
                                                load them all. Once they have been loaded subsequent runs will not
                                                take as long, but I had over 1000 names submitted and it took a while
                                                to load them all.

                                                On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 14:35:56 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

                                                >Hi all,
                                                >when in Ordinance reserve and tracking and going to Manage Batches there is nothing showing yet because I never used AQ to actually submit names.
                                                >My questions and observations:
                                                >
                                                >Is it possible and how do I add a previous submitted FOR?
                                                >
                                                >Can I add an FOR for other people.  ie; I submitted names from my data under my sisters name.
                                                >
                                                >When reconciling, the program does not show any progress. There is no indicator of what the program is doing.  And after almost 30 minutes I attempted to close the Manage Submitted Batches window and AQ crashed.
                                                >

                                                >Thank you,
                                                >Peter

                                              • Terry Smith
                                                Message 23 of 27 , Jul 22, 2013
                                                  AQ will not stop when sorting this index even though there is a cancel
                                                  option available. I have noted this problem before, and is still not
                                                  fixed.
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , Jul 22, 2013
                                                    Make sure you have the latest build of AQ14. AQ12 works only with nFS
                                                    and will no longer work properly, so if you do not have AQ14, build
                                                    13, you will need to update your copy of AQ.

                                                    XP can cause problems with some windows. You'll have to expand them if
                                                    at all possible and then you should be fine.

                                                    Tom

                                                  • Peter
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , Jul 23, 2013
                                                      Hi Terry,  yes you are right it worked.
                                                      Tried the reconcile option last night again but had to shut down the system because of lightning. So this morning did it again and after 4 hours we came home and AQ had added all the temple submission batches.
                                                      What a wonderful tool this is. When reviewing the names we can see all the people that have individual ordinances completed but it also shows their missing ordinances.

                                                      Mostly missing SP and SS sealings in my case.

                                                      My complements to Gaylon and his team. This is a great tool to find closely related people in your data who are still missing ordinances.

                                                      Thank you Gaylon and team for this very easy to use  part of AQ

                                                      Peter

                                                      ________________________________
                                                      If you have never used this freature before, than you will need to try
                                                      the reconcile option. If your user name is attached to FORs than it
                                                      will populate your people in the batcj screen. If you have a lot of
                                                      FOR s that you have submitted as I did, it may take a while for it to
                                                      load them all. Once they have been loaded subsequent runs will not
                                                      take as long, but I had over 1000 names submitted and it took a while
                                                      to load them all.

                                                      On Mon, 22 Jul 2013 14:35:56 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

                                                      >Hi all,
                                                      >when in Ordinance reserve and tracking and going to Manage Batches there is nothing showing yet because I never used AQ to actually submit names.
                                                      >My questions and observations:
                                                      >
                                                      >Is it possible and how do I add a previous submitted FOR?
                                                      >
                                                      >Can I add an FOR for other people.  ie; I submitted names from my data under my sisters name.
                                                      >
                                                      >When reconciling, the program does not show any progress. There is no indicator of what the program is doing.  And after almost 30 minutes I attempted to close the Manage Submitted Batches window and AQ crashed.
                                                      >

                                                      >Thank you,
                                                      >Peter

                                                    • Terry Smith
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , Jul 23, 2013
                                                        Hi Peter...

                                                        Go to the temple and perform some of those sealings.... then when you
                                                        get home after the temple is closed and has posted your work.

                                                        From the batches screen select update all. AQ qill go out and find
                                                        all the ordinances that were performed that day, and you can then
                                                        Update them one by one you will see that it automates the process
                                                        completly. The only hardship is that if you turn them over to the
                                                        temple, it sometimes takes forever to get the work performed. Even
                                                        with so many temples it seems the work is still up to you. So go
                                                        often to the temple and you can see the work move forward.

                                                        --- Terry

                                                        On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 11:32:34 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

                                                        >Hi Terry,  yes you are right it worked.
                                                        >Tried the reconcile option last night again but had to shut down the system because of lightning. So this morning did it again and after 4 hours we came home and AQ had added all the temple submission batches.
                                                        >What a wonderful tool this is. When reviewing the names we can see all the people that have individual ordinances completed but it also shows their missing ordinances.
                                                        >
                                                        >Mostly missing SP and SS sealings in my case.
                                                        >
                                                        >My complements to Gaylon and his team. This is a great tool to find closely related people in your data who are still missing ordinances.
                                                        >
                                                        >Thank you Gaylon and team for this very easy to use  part of AQ
                                                        >

                                                        >Peter
                                                        >

                                                        >________________________________

                                                      • Peter
                                                        Message 27 of 27 , Jul 23, 2013
                                                          Thanks Terry, we have done that quite a bit already.  Just last month with some of my
                                                          grandkids.  It was the first time for my granddaughter.

                                                          Being an convert I have submitted a lot of my names to temple file, there are just way to many for me and my family to do.
                                                          They get done relatively fast. Just male names can take up to three years for endowments. But that is OK as long as they get done.  I figure they will make it happen from behind the veil if they want it bad enough.

                                                          Thanks again for your help with working the batch updater.

                                                          Peter

                                                          Go to the temple and perform some of those sealings.... then when you
                                                          get home after the temple is closed and has posted your work.

                                                          From the batches screen select update all. AQ qill go out and find