Re: [AQ_NFS] Not synched.

    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 3, 2013
      Hi,

      A couple of things are going on with the latest version.

      First, if the records have been combined and have a new PID, the
      system detects the new PID and during the Update Ordinances in the
      Ordinance Reservation and Tracking System, it _may_ attempt to update
      the PID stored in AQ to the PID now in FT.

      Secondly, that doesn't always work and I suspect that when it fails,
      it is because the record was changed/combined in nFS, rather than FT.

      In other words, we are in a very big transition right now with respect
      to the LDS database. Not only is it in the process of moving, but
      there are things that are happening during that move that impact
      sync'ing between AQ and FT. I've noticed some of this myself, and
      simply have allowed the system to work its way through the mess.

      With databases as large as mine (over 16,000 individuals -- I do
      descendancy research and am constantly adding new relatives to my AQ
      database), it takes time.

      The Check for Changes on FamilySearch will see a lot of changed
      records, simply because FT now "hides" all but the primary record data
      and that may not agree with what you had previously when AQ and nFS
      throught they were the same.

      Right now, I am seeing some problems, but most of these are easily
      explained by the differences between nFS and FT. AQ prior to build 11
      of release 14 interfaced with nFS. Build 12 (the current build) made
      additional changes to what AQ could do, but both build 11 and 12 will
      now show changes (in the Check for Changes) and Update Ordinances
      routines. I suspect we may continue to see impacts on how things
      operate as the Church continues to refine Family Tree and completes
      the movement of old nFS data into the new database.

      If there are functions that fail or cause AQ to crash, I've been
      reporting them directly to Gaylon. One of these even cause a single
      record in AQ not to connect to the record in FT. I resolved the
      problem by rebuilding the database (something that can be done from
      the Check/Repair window). Fortunately, these are few and far between
      and so far, the newest builds have been a real joy to use and are so
      much easier than having to jump into FT from AQ to take care of some
      facets of database and individual record management.

      As far as getting the records all updated, the Help Files actually
      suggest selecting only a small portion of the database to do at a
      time. I strongly concurr.

      Hope this helps,

      Tom

      On Wed, 3 Jul 2013 22:13:16 -0400, you wrote:

      >Personal Identification Number assigned by family tree or the old
      >newfamilysearch.

    • Peter
      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 4, 2013
        Good morning and happy 4th to all.

        Question;  In "Update LDS Temple Ordinances" you can set the program to update ordinance dates automatically.
        However the notice "The FamilySearch ID for Firstname Lastname has been updated from AAAA-AAA to BBBB-BBB" keeps popping up while doing this.  And the updating pauses until you click the OK button.
        Can this be set to update the PID automatically?

        Peter

        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 4, 2013
          Peter:

          When working with nFS, we only felt a need to update the PID under one specific situation, so when you got this message, it didn't seem bothersome. Because the new API dealing with Family Tree isn't as tolerant of older PIDs, AQ now updates the PID everytime it notices that it has changed, and just like before, it alerts you to the change. Apparently there are two processes -- Ordinance Update and Check for Changes -- that can stumble across a lot of these when you'd like to walk away from your computer and let the process finish, so several users have asked that AQ NOT alert them when the ID has changed, at least in these situations. We'll probably make a change to this in the next build.

          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 4, 2013
            Sounds good.  Thanks Gaylon, for your prompt response.
            Will this PID change be logged in the txt file?

             Peter

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 4, 2013
              Hi again, Leslie,

              Did anybody else answer your question? My Internet provider has been down (I am LOST without it!!) and my email is ever so backed up. But, about your question, "Is there a way to show those that are not synched other than using the lack of a PID?" I am sorry, I do not have an answer for you.

              Sally

              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 4, 2013
                Peter:

                Logging of the PID change to a text file has been mentioned. We'll keep it in mind, but for now, the only notice you get of this change is when the information box pops up.

                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 4, 2013
                  Hi Gaylon, understood.  I mend after you have made the change in the program.

                   Peter

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 4, 2013
                    When I was using the ordinance update feature, I left the box that says to include confirmation and initiatory checked. The system then added these ordinances for over 32,000 people.
                    I didn’t think much of it until I wanted to make a book and these ordinances showed up. I didn’t want them included. I just wanted the baptism, endowment and sealings. I couldn’t find
                    a way to eliminate them other than deleting the lines one at a time. I started doing so, and after a couple thousand lines and two days, decided that this wasn’t really getting me
                    anywhere. Then I realized that the solution was there all the time. I went into edit event types, deleted the entries for confirmation and initiatory, replacing them with just a space.
                    Guess what? These ordinances no longer appeared on my reports! This means that any event type that you don’t want displayed can be eliminated by deleting the default sentence
                    and replacing it with a space. (you can always put the default structure back by choosing the default button)
                    Perhaps my experience will be helpful to others who find themselves in a similar situation.