Updates within program

  • Margaret Thompson
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
      In the program click the "Internet" pull down menu at the top and the third
      down is "Check for latest AQ release"

      Margaret

      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
        Tom, not good.   AQ has deleted all the PID's of all living people too.

        I made a backup just before, but I am not impressed that there was no indication that it would do that.

        I still don't like it that I can not figure out how to access the PID for any of the records. Quite often I want to look at the record in FT while linking or checking for changes. Being able to copy and paste
        would make that a lot easier.

        But the good news is that the build 11 update seems to have fixed the "Living" tag for people
        born in 1900, 1901, 1902 and 1903.

        Thanks for your help.

         Peter

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
          Thanks Margaret, never thought to look there.

          Peter

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
            Sorry I am confused. Updates of AQ have not deleted any of the FSPIDs in my
            database (living or not). When you link an individual to FT through AQ the
            program automatically puts the PID number in the FamilySearch ID box. You
            cannot delete it (when you unlink the person it gets removed). You can copy
            the number to be pasted into a FT search box.

            Margaret

            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
              I'm not sure what is going on, Peter. AQ retains the PIDs for me. You
              might want to send a note directly to Gaylon Findlay
              <gfindlay@...> and ask him to look into the problem for you.
              You will like have to send him a copy of the backup of your AQ file.

              When I want to see the FT entry for the person and I'm in AQ, all I
              have to do is to have the person highlighted in Family, Pedigree, or
              even Name List and select FamilySearch... View person in FamilySearch.
              The system fires up my browser, asks me to log in, and then open FT
              with the Person View of the person I want to see.

              So, something is going on in your system. It may be a setting or
              something, but my copy has retained the PIDs even for living people.

              Now, there may be some simple explanation for this, but I don't know
              what it is.

              Hopefully, Gaylon can get you a resolution to the problem.

              Tom

              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                It sounds like the PIDs are coming into AQ by the operator actually copying
                and pasting. It is so much easier to link to F/T and import any new
                information or upload any missing information. Once the person is
                linked/synched, the PID naturally comes in.

                Leslie

                <gfindlay@... <mailto:gfindlay%40ancquest.com> > and ask him to

                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                  Margaret, not the update but the "Generate ID Numbers" function described below.

                  Peter

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                    Leslie, that only works if you are directly related to the living relatives.

                    Peter

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                      Hi Tom,  I might ask Mr. Findlay. But how it stands now it is not a problem anymore.  The word "Living" has disappeared from my data.

                      Thanks for telling me about the link in FT.  It is perfect to have it right there but also in the "Link/Upload or "Check for changes" window because that is when I want to use it most.
                      I had not noticed that "secret" icon.  :-)
                      So the second part of my question about copy/paste PID's is also answered.

                      But be prepared I might have many more question yet!!!!!   :-)

                      Peter

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                        If you are not related to a living person, then that person should not
                        be showing in Family Tree (they won't unless you have an immediate and
                        directly relationship to them).

                        If you created the person in Family Tree, then that is another matter
                        and you'll be able to see the person.

                        I haven't done any testing in that regard because, as an LDS member, I
                        have no reason to place them in Family Tree -or- perform any temple
                        work for them.

                        The reason for this not being allowed has to do with the problems
                        surrounding a specific person who is attempting to "prove" to the
                        world that we haven't kept our word to the descendants of Jewish
                        Holocaust victims and also with those who are related to celebrities,
                        but have no relationship to you.

                        This is pretty well spelled out in the current manuals on Family Tree.

                        Tom

                        Message 11 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                          Yes, you are right. Living people are not searchable on family tree unless they are your parent, spouse or child. Thus if they aren’t searchable you cannot link/ sync to them.

                          <gfindlay@... <mailto:gfindlay%40ancquest.com> <mailto:gfindlay%40ancquest.com> > and ask him to

                          Message 12 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                            Well said. Living people should be on your own data base and not anywhere
                            on the web, including family tree. We have to be diligent to respect the
                            privacy of living folks and only share on any tree on the web if those
                            living people have given permission.

                            If you are not related to a living person, then that person should not
                            be showing in Family Tree (they won't unless you have an immediate and
                            directly relationship to them).

                            If you created the person in Family Tree, then that is another matter
                            and you'll be able to see the person.

                            I haven't done any testing in that regard because, as an LDS member, I
                            have no reason to place them in Family Tree -or- perform any temple
                            work for them.

                            The reason for this not being allowed has to do with the problems
                            surrounding a specific person who is attempting to "prove" to the
                            world that we haven't kept our word to the descendants of Jewish
                            Holocaust victims and also with those who are related to celebrities,
                            but have no relationship to you.

                            This is pretty well spelled out in the current manuals on Family Tree.

                            Tom

                            On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 17:03:02 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

                            >Leslie, that only works if you are directly related to the living
                            relatives.

                            >Peter

                            Of
                            >tomhuber.yah@... <mailto:tomhuber.yah%40gmail.com>