RE: [AQ_NFS] People born in 1901-1902 show as living

    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 23, 2013
      Actually, the word deceased is not going to be input in the death date field just because a b-day is over 110 years ago. I would hate it if it did because I can assume they are dead if they are that old. I have brought individuals through nfs into my data-base and it puts the word deceased in the death date field. The first thing I do is delete that. I think I am smart enough to know if someone was born in 1852 that they are dead. I only want a date in that field.

      It seems your preference is to have that word automatically input after 110 years. Perhaps that could be added as an option. But I would certainly opt out.

      I am confused about AQ showing your folks as living? Do you get a message when you try to do temple work that these people born in 1901 or 1902 are still living? What does AQ do that tells you the program thinks these people are living?

      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 23, 2013
        Leslie,
        yes,  you are right the word deceased is not being added on the FT and I didn't say that and I surely don't want that, but the record does change from "living" to "Deceased".
        Or if you add someone who's birthday is over 110 years old FT will automatically accept the person as deceased.

        The only place where the word "Living" shows up is in AQ in the ID field.

        If you do a search for people born between 1 Jan 1898 and 1 Jan 1903 (and no death date) you will see that  people born in 1898 and 1899 show up in AQ without the word "Living" in the ID field but most, and that is the funny thing, but not all people born in 1900, 1901, 1902 and 1903 have the word "Living" in the ID field.

        Peter

        PS: a related question ;  How can you have the PID show in the edit screen? I am using AQ to open my PAF data and all records have the PID in the custom ID field.  It would be handy to be able to copy and paste the PID when working on the FT website.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
          Wow. I cannot duplicate what you are talking about. I have 11 people in my data base who were born in 1901 or 1902 and who don’t have a death date.

          You are saying that in the edit screen that the word living is in the ID# box. Mine has nothing in that box on all 11.

          Perhaps my people are not showing the word living because there are temple ordinances indicated.

          As an experiment, I just unlinked one of my 11 from nfs and deleted all the temple ordinances. Doing that deleted the PID but it did not add the word living to anyone.

          So then I looked at some people who I know are living, namely me and my husband and my children and some of my grands. I don’t see the word living there either.

          So there must be some sort of preference that you have checked that I don’t have or vice versa. I am flummoxed.

          Also the familysearch ID# is in the box if I have linked my individual with nfs. I assume now that we can link with F/T that it will show there as well.

          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
            It sounds like you may be using an earlier version of AQ. The current
            version is 14, build 11 (released yesterday and the one certified).

            The following applies to version 14, build 11:
            Open Preferences -- (Tools ... Preferences -or- Shift_Ctrl+p)

            One the General Tab -- if you want to see the FT PID appended to the
            name, select FamilySearch ID in the Append to Names pane.

            Make sure you have Use LDS Data checked.

            If you want to have the PID set with the file, Open Generate ID
            Numbers (Tools ... Generate ID Numbers). In the Action pane, select
            Set to FS PID. Make sure the Fileter is set to All.

            Note: those records that have not been sync'd with Family Tree will
            not have a FT PID. Sync'ing the record with Family Tree is what allows
            AQ to pick up the FT PID.

            Hope this helps.

            Tom

            On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 23:24:22 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

            >PS: a related question ; How can you have the PID show in the edit screen? I am using AQ to open my PAF data and all records have the PID in the custom ID field. It would be handy to be able to copy and paste the PID when working on the FT website.
          • Peter
            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
              Tom, you were right.  Build 11 fixed it.
              So I changed it and now all the words "living" in the ID fields are gone.

              I guess to copy/paste the PID from my data to FT still have to be done in PAF.

              Peter

              ps: Update was set to ones a week and did not show a notice.  And I could not find another place in the program to update from. Is there an update within the program?

              ________________________________
              It sounds like you may be using an earlier version of AQ. The current
              version is 14, build 11 (released yesterday and the one certified).

              The following applies to version 14, build 11:
              Open Preferences -- (Tools ... Preferences -or- Shift_Ctrl+p)

              One the General Tab -- if you want to see the FT PID appended to the
              name, select FamilySearch ID in the Append to Names pane.

              Make sure you have Use LDS Data checked.

              If you want to have the PID set with the file, Open Generate ID
              Numbers (Tools ... Generate ID Numbers). In the Action pane, select
              Set to FS PID. Make sure the Fileter is set to All.

              Note: those records that have not been sync'd with Family Tree will
              not have a FT PID. Sync'ing the record with Family Tree is what allows
              AQ to pick up the FT PID.

              Hope this helps.

              Tom

              On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 23:24:22 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

              >PS: a related question ; How can you have the PID show in the edit screen? I am using AQ to open my PAF data and all records have the PID in the custom ID field. It would be handy to be able to copy and paste the PID when working on the FT website.

            • Margaret Thompson
              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                In the program click the "Internet" pull down menu at the top and the third
                down is "Check for latest AQ release"

                Margaret

                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                  Tom, not good.   AQ has deleted all the PID's of all living people too.

                  I made a backup just before, but I am not impressed that there was no indication that it would do that.

                  I still don't like it that I can not figure out how to access the PID for any of the records. Quite often I want to look at the record in FT while linking or checking for changes. Being able to copy and paste
                  would make that a lot easier.

                  But the good news is that the build 11 update seems to have fixed the "Living" tag for people
                  born in 1900, 1901, 1902 and 1903.

                  Thanks for your help.

                   Peter

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                    Thanks Margaret, never thought to look there.

                    Peter

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                      Sorry I am confused. Updates of AQ have not deleted any of the FSPIDs in my
                      database (living or not). When you link an individual to FT through AQ the
                      program automatically puts the PID number in the FamilySearch ID box. You
                      cannot delete it (when you unlink the person it gets removed). You can copy
                      the number to be pasted into a FT search box.

                      Margaret

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                        I'm not sure what is going on, Peter. AQ retains the PIDs for me. You
                        might want to send a note directly to Gaylon Findlay
                        <gfindlay@...> and ask him to look into the problem for you.
                        You will like have to send him a copy of the backup of your AQ file.

                        When I want to see the FT entry for the person and I'm in AQ, all I
                        have to do is to have the person highlighted in Family, Pedigree, or
                        even Name List and select FamilySearch... View person in FamilySearch.
                        The system fires up my browser, asks me to log in, and then open FT
                        with the Person View of the person I want to see.

                        So, something is going on in your system. It may be a setting or
                        something, but my copy has retained the PIDs even for living people.

                        Now, there may be some simple explanation for this, but I don't know
                        what it is.

                        Hopefully, Gaylon can get you a resolution to the problem.

                        Tom

                        Message 11 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                          It sounds like the PIDs are coming into AQ by the operator actually copying
                          and pasting. It is so much easier to link to F/T and import any new
                          information or upload any missing information. Once the person is
                          linked/synched, the PID naturally comes in.

                          Leslie

                          <gfindlay@... <mailto:gfindlay%40ancquest.com> > and ask him to

                          Message 12 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                            Margaret, not the update but the "Generate ID Numbers" function described below.

                            Peter

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                              Leslie, that only works if you are directly related to the living relatives.

                              Peter

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                                Hi Tom,  I might ask Mr. Findlay. But how it stands now it is not a problem anymore.  The word "Living" has disappeared from my data.

                                Thanks for telling me about the link in FT.  It is perfect to have it right there but also in the "Link/Upload or "Check for changes" window because that is when I want to use it most.
                                I had not noticed that "secret" icon.  :-)
                                So the second part of my question about copy/paste PID's is also answered.

                                But be prepared I might have many more question yet!!!!!   :-)

                                Peter

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                                  If you are not related to a living person, then that person should not
                                  be showing in Family Tree (they won't unless you have an immediate and
                                  directly relationship to them).

                                  If you created the person in Family Tree, then that is another matter
                                  and you'll be able to see the person.

                                  I haven't done any testing in that regard because, as an LDS member, I
                                  have no reason to place them in Family Tree -or- perform any temple
                                  work for them.

                                  The reason for this not being allowed has to do with the problems
                                  surrounding a specific person who is attempting to "prove" to the
                                  world that we haven't kept our word to the descendants of Jewish
                                  Holocaust victims and also with those who are related to celebrities,
                                  but have no relationship to you.

                                  This is pretty well spelled out in the current manuals on Family Tree.

                                  Tom

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                                    Yes, you are right. Living people are not searchable on family tree unless they are your parent, spouse or child. Thus if they aren’t searchable you cannot link/ sync to them.

                                    <gfindlay@... <mailto:gfindlay%40ancquest.com> <mailto:gfindlay%40ancquest.com> > and ask him to

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                                      Well said. Living people should be on your own data base and not anywhere
                                      on the web, including family tree. We have to be diligent to respect the
                                      privacy of living folks and only share on any tree on the web if those
                                      living people have given permission.

                                      If you are not related to a living person, then that person should not
                                      be showing in Family Tree (they won't unless you have an immediate and
                                      directly relationship to them).

                                      If you created the person in Family Tree, then that is another matter
                                      and you'll be able to see the person.

                                      I haven't done any testing in that regard because, as an LDS member, I
                                      have no reason to place them in Family Tree -or- perform any temple
                                      work for them.

                                      The reason for this not being allowed has to do with the problems
                                      surrounding a specific person who is attempting to "prove" to the
                                      world that we haven't kept our word to the descendants of Jewish
                                      Holocaust victims and also with those who are related to celebrities,
                                      but have no relationship to you.

                                      This is pretty well spelled out in the current manuals on Family Tree.

                                      Tom

                                      On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 17:03:02 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

                                      >Leslie, that only works if you are directly related to the living
                                      relatives.

                                      >Peter

                                      Of
                                      >tomhuber.yah@... <mailto:tomhuber.yah%40gmail.com>