Re: [AQ_NFS] People born in 1901-1902 show as living

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 23, 2013
      Hi,  this was in AQ.
      And no my computer date is correct.
      And no FT shows this person as deceased.

      No matter what could happen in the future. Right now everyone born over 110 years ago
      should show as deceased in FT or AQ

      Peter

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 23, 2013
        Hi Tom, see my reply to Leslie.

        Right now everyone born over a 110 years ago should show as deceased in FT and AQ

        Peter

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 23, 2013
          Actually, the word deceased is not going to be input in the death date field just because a b-day is over 110 years ago. I would hate it if it did because I can assume they are dead if they are that old. I have brought individuals through nfs into my data-base and it puts the word deceased in the death date field. The first thing I do is delete that. I think I am smart enough to know if someone was born in 1852 that they are dead. I only want a date in that field.

          It seems your preference is to have that word automatically input after 110 years. Perhaps that could be added as an option. But I would certainly opt out.

          I am confused about AQ showing your folks as living? Do you get a message when you try to do temple work that these people born in 1901 or 1902 are still living? What does AQ do that tells you the program thinks these people are living?

          It likely has to do with the previous requirement that said you must
          have a death date to do ordinances for a person born less than 115
          years ago. This is in regard to the FamilySearch Family Tree.

          The current policy is:

          The system uses rules to determine whether a person may still be
          living.

          The system considers that a person may be living if both of the
          following situations apply:

          . He or she was born 110 or fewer years ago, married 95 or fewer years
          ago, or had a child born 95 or fewer years ago.
          . The record contains no death information.

          Note: Any text in the fields for death and burial causes the system to
          determine that the person is deceased.

          While the problem may be a result of not correcting for the previous
          way "living" was determined, the above is the current specifics.
          Because data is still being transferred from NFS, it is entirely
          possible that you will still find people "living" even if the 95/110
          year rule has been met (that is, the person was born _more_ than 110
          years ago _and_ did not have a marriage or child less than 95 years
          ago.

          My advice is to locate the actual death date and record that. Just
          because you _think_ a person must have died, do not assume that is the
          case. I have had to have ordinances reversed for two of my relatives
          because people submitted the names of those who were still living.

          In other words, unless you actually have personal knowledge of a
          person's death, let the system do its thing.

          Tom

          On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 10:31:18 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

          >Hi ,
          >Why do people born in 1901 and 1902 show as living?
          >

          >Peter

        • Peter
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 23, 2013
            Leslie,
            yes,  you are right the word deceased is not being added on the FT and I didn't say that and I surely don't want that, but the record does change from "living" to "Deceased".
            Or if you add someone who's birthday is over 110 years old FT will automatically accept the person as deceased.

            The only place where the word "Living" shows up is in AQ in the ID field.

            If you do a search for people born between 1 Jan 1898 and 1 Jan 1903 (and no death date) you will see that  people born in 1898 and 1899 show up in AQ without the word "Living" in the ID field but most, and that is the funny thing, but not all people born in 1900, 1901, 1902 and 1903 have the word "Living" in the ID field.

            Peter

            PS: a related question ;  How can you have the PID show in the edit screen? I am using AQ to open my PAF data and all records have the PID in the custom ID field.  It would be handy to be able to copy and paste the PID when working on the FT website.

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
              Wow. I cannot duplicate what you are talking about. I have 11 people in my data base who were born in 1901 or 1902 and who don’t have a death date.

              You are saying that in the edit screen that the word living is in the ID# box. Mine has nothing in that box on all 11.

              Perhaps my people are not showing the word living because there are temple ordinances indicated.

              As an experiment, I just unlinked one of my 11 from nfs and deleted all the temple ordinances. Doing that deleted the PID but it did not add the word living to anyone.

              So then I looked at some people who I know are living, namely me and my husband and my children and some of my grands. I don’t see the word living there either.

              So there must be some sort of preference that you have checked that I don’t have or vice versa. I am flummoxed.

              Also the familysearch ID# is in the box if I have linked my individual with nfs. I assume now that we can link with F/T that it will show there as well.

              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                It sounds like you may be using an earlier version of AQ. The current
                version is 14, build 11 (released yesterday and the one certified).

                The following applies to version 14, build 11:
                Open Preferences -- (Tools ... Preferences -or- Shift_Ctrl+p)

                One the General Tab -- if you want to see the FT PID appended to the
                name, select FamilySearch ID in the Append to Names pane.

                Make sure you have Use LDS Data checked.

                If you want to have the PID set with the file, Open Generate ID
                Numbers (Tools ... Generate ID Numbers). In the Action pane, select
                Set to FS PID. Make sure the Fileter is set to All.

                Note: those records that have not been sync'd with Family Tree will
                not have a FT PID. Sync'ing the record with Family Tree is what allows
                AQ to pick up the FT PID.

                Hope this helps.

                Tom

                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                  Tom, you were right.  Build 11 fixed it.
                  So I changed it and now all the words "living" in the ID fields are gone.

                  I guess to copy/paste the PID from my data to FT still have to be done in PAF.

                  Peter

                  ps: Update was set to ones a week and did not show a notice.  And I could not find another place in the program to update from. Is there an update within the program?

                  ________________________________
                  It sounds like you may be using an earlier version of AQ. The current
                  version is 14, build 11 (released yesterday and the one certified).

                  The following applies to version 14, build 11:
                  Open Preferences -- (Tools ... Preferences -or- Shift_Ctrl+p)

                  One the General Tab -- if you want to see the FT PID appended to the
                  name, select FamilySearch ID in the Append to Names pane.

                  Make sure you have Use LDS Data checked.

                  If you want to have the PID set with the file, Open Generate ID
                  Numbers (Tools ... Generate ID Numbers). In the Action pane, select
                  Set to FS PID. Make sure the Fileter is set to All.

                  Note: those records that have not been sync'd with Family Tree will
                  not have a FT PID. Sync'ing the record with Family Tree is what allows
                  AQ to pick up the FT PID.

                  Hope this helps.

                  Tom

                  On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 23:24:22 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

                  >PS: a related question ; How can you have the PID show in the edit screen? I am using AQ to open my PAF data and all records have the PID in the custom ID field. It would be handy to be able to copy and paste the PID when working on the FT website.

                • Margaret Thompson
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                    In the program click the "Internet" pull down menu at the top and the third
                    down is "Check for latest AQ release"

                    Margaret

                    Message 9 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                      Tom, not good.   AQ has deleted all the PID's of all living people too.

                      I made a backup just before, but I am not impressed that there was no indication that it would do that.

                      I still don't like it that I can not figure out how to access the PID for any of the records. Quite often I want to look at the record in FT while linking or checking for changes. Being able to copy and paste
                      would make that a lot easier.

                      But the good news is that the build 11 update seems to have fixed the "Living" tag for people
                      born in 1900, 1901, 1902 and 1903.

                      Thanks for your help.

                       Peter

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                        Thanks Margaret, never thought to look there.

                        Peter

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                          Sorry I am confused. Updates of AQ have not deleted any of the FSPIDs in my
                          database (living or not). When you link an individual to FT through AQ the
                          program automatically puts the PID number in the FamilySearch ID box. You
                          cannot delete it (when you unlink the person it gets removed). You can copy
                          the number to be pasted into a FT search box.

                          Margaret

                          Message 12 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                            I'm not sure what is going on, Peter. AQ retains the PIDs for me. You
                            might want to send a note directly to Gaylon Findlay
                            <gfindlay@...> and ask him to look into the problem for you.
                            You will like have to send him a copy of the backup of your AQ file.

                            When I want to see the FT entry for the person and I'm in AQ, all I
                            have to do is to have the person highlighted in Family, Pedigree, or
                            even Name List and select FamilySearch... View person in FamilySearch.
                            The system fires up my browser, asks me to log in, and then open FT
                            with the Person View of the person I want to see.

                            So, something is going on in your system. It may be a setting or
                            something, but my copy has retained the PIDs even for living people.

                            Now, there may be some simple explanation for this, but I don't know
                            what it is.

                            Hopefully, Gaylon can get you a resolution to the problem.

                            Tom

                            Message 13 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                              It sounds like the PIDs are coming into AQ by the operator actually copying
                              and pasting. It is so much easier to link to F/T and import any new
                              information or upload any missing information. Once the person is
                              linked/synched, the PID naturally comes in.

                              Leslie

                              <gfindlay@... <mailto:gfindlay%40ancquest.com> > and ask him to

                              Message 14 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                                Margaret, not the update but the "Generate ID Numbers" function described below.

                                Peter

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                                  Leslie, that only works if you are directly related to the living relatives.

                                  Peter

                                  ________________________________

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                                    Hi Tom,  I might ask Mr. Findlay. But how it stands now it is not a problem anymore.  The word "Living" has disappeared from my data.

                                    Thanks for telling me about the link in FT.  It is perfect to have it right there but also in the "Link/Upload or "Check for changes" window because that is when I want to use it most.
                                    I had not noticed that "secret" icon.  :-)
                                    So the second part of my question about copy/paste PID's is also answered.

                                    But be prepared I might have many more question yet!!!!!   :-)

                                    Peter

                                    ________________________________

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                                      If you are not related to a living person, then that person should not
                                      be showing in Family Tree (they won't unless you have an immediate and
                                      directly relationship to them).

                                      If you created the person in Family Tree, then that is another matter
                                      and you'll be able to see the person.

                                      I haven't done any testing in that regard because, as an LDS member, I
                                      have no reason to place them in Family Tree -or- perform any temple
                                      work for them.

                                      The reason for this not being allowed has to do with the problems
                                      surrounding a specific person who is attempting to "prove" to the
                                      world that we haven't kept our word to the descendants of Jewish
                                      Holocaust victims and also with those who are related to celebrities,
                                      but have no relationship to you.

                                      This is pretty well spelled out in the current manuals on Family Tree.

                                      Tom

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                                        Yes, you are right. Living people are not searchable on family tree unless they are your parent, spouse or child. Thus if they aren’t searchable you cannot link/ sync to them.

                                        <gfindlay@... <mailto:gfindlay%40ancquest.com> <mailto:gfindlay%40ancquest.com> > and ask him to

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                                          Well said. Living people should be on your own data base and not anywhere
                                          on the web, including family tree. We have to be diligent to respect the
                                          privacy of living folks and only share on any tree on the web if those
                                          living people have given permission.

                                          If you are not related to a living person, then that person should not
                                          be showing in Family Tree (they won't unless you have an immediate and
                                          directly relationship to them).

                                          If you created the person in Family Tree, then that is another matter
                                          and you'll be able to see the person.

                                          I haven't done any testing in that regard because, as an LDS member, I
                                          have no reason to place them in Family Tree -or- perform any temple
                                          work for them.

                                          The reason for this not being allowed has to do with the problems
                                          surrounding a specific person who is attempting to "prove" to the
                                          world that we haven't kept our word to the descendants of Jewish
                                          Holocaust victims and also with those who are related to celebrities,
                                          but have no relationship to you.

                                          This is pretty well spelled out in the current manuals on Family Tree.

                                          Tom

                                          On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 17:03:02 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

                                          >Leslie, that only works if you are directly related to the living
                                          relatives.

                                          >Peter

                                          Of
                                          >tomhuber.yah@... <mailto:tomhuber.yah%40gmail.com>