People born in 1901-1902 show as living

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 25 , Jun 23, 2013
      Hi ,
      Why do people born in 1901 and 1902 show as living?

      Peter

    • mkitchen@juno.com
      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 23, 2013
        I believe that is a bug in the software. I get around it this way:
        In nFS, I enter the word dead in the death date field. The person will then show as deceased. I then delete the word dead from the date field. The person will stay deceased.
        Merlin Kitchen

        Please note: message attached

        From: Peter <peters_genealogy@...>
        To: "AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com" <AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [AQ_NFS] People born in 1901-1902 show as living
        Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 10:31:18 -0700 (PDT)

        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 23, 2013
          It likely has to do with the previous requirement that said you must
          have a death date to do ordinances for a person born less than 115
          years ago. This is in regard to the FamilySearch Family Tree.

          The current policy is:

          The system uses rules to determine whether a person may still be
          living.

          The system considers that a person may be living if both of the
          following situations apply:

          • He or she was born 110 or fewer years ago, married 95 or fewer years
          ago, or had a child born 95 or fewer years ago.
          • The record contains no death information.

          Note: Any text in the fields for death and burial causes the system to
          determine that the person is deceased.

          While the problem may be a result of not correcting for the previous
          way "living" was determined, the above is the current specifics.
          Because data is still being transferred from NFS, it is entirely
          possible that you will still find people "living" even if the 95/110
          year rule has been met (that is, the person was born _more_ than 110
          years ago _and_ did not have a marriage or child less than 95 years
          ago.

          My advice is to locate the actual death date and record that. Just
          because you _think_ a person must have died, do not assume that is the
          case. I have had to have ordinances reversed for two of my relatives
          because people submitted the names of those who were still living.

          In other words, unless you actually have personal knowledge of a
          person's death, let the system do its thing.

          Tom

          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 23, 2013
            One added note on this:

            Earlier this month, the world's oldest living person died at the age
            of 116. That means he was born in 1897!

            As I said, unless you have specific knowledge, let the system do its
            thing. Do NOT force a death where you have no knowledge of it.

            Thanks,

            Tom
          • Peter
            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 23, 2013
              Thanks Merlin,  but that will only work for one more week.
              Peter

              ________________________________

              From: Peter <peters_genealogy@...>
              To: "AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com" <AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com>
              Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 10:31:18 -0700 (PDT)

              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 23, 2013
                Amen, Tom

                With more and more super centenarians I expect this 110 year rule to be
                pushed back to longer. Just in the last week or two a Japanese guy died who
                was 116 years old.

                The original post from this thread wasn't clear which system was showing the
                person as living. Was it family tree or another website or was it on AQ?
                If it was AQ is the person's computer clock set right? I had an old
                computer once that the clock hadn't been set and the automatic dated word
                and outlook documents were showing this old date and some of the software
                programs on the computer wouldn't let me put in a date "in the future."

                It likely has to do with the previous requirement that said you must
                have a death date to do ordinances for a person born less than 115
                years ago. This is in regard to the FamilySearch Family Tree.

                The current policy is:

                The system uses rules to determine whether a person may still be
                living.

                The system considers that a person may be living if both of the
                following situations apply:

                . He or she was born 110 or fewer years ago, married 95 or fewer years
                ago, or had a child born 95 or fewer years ago.
                . The record contains no death information.

                Note: Any text in the fields for death and burial causes the system to
                determine that the person is deceased.

                While the problem may be a result of not correcting for the previous
                way "living" was determined, the above is the current specifics.
                Because data is still being transferred from NFS, it is entirely
                possible that you will still find people "living" even if the 95/110
                year rule has been met (that is, the person was born _more_ than 110
                years ago _and_ did not have a marriage or child less than 95 years
                ago.

                My advice is to locate the actual death date and record that. Just
                because you _think_ a person must have died, do not assume that is the
                case. I have had to have ordinances reversed for two of my relatives
                because people submitted the names of those who were still living.

                In other words, unless you actually have personal knowledge of a
                person's death, let the system do its thing.

                Tom

                On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 10:31:18 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

                >Hi ,
                >Why do people born in 1901 and 1902 show as living?
                >

                >Peter

              • Peter
                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 23, 2013
                  Hi,  this was in AQ.
                  And no my computer date is correct.
                  And no FT shows this person as deceased.

                  No matter what could happen in the future. Right now everyone born over 110 years ago
                  should show as deceased in FT or AQ

                  Peter

                  ________________________________

                  It likely has to do with the previous requirement that said you must
                  have a death date to do ordinances for a person born less than 115
                  years ago. This is in regard to the FamilySearch Family Tree.

                  The current policy is:

                  The system uses rules to determine whether a person may still be
                  living.

                  The system considers that a person may be living if both of the
                  following situations apply:

                  . He or she was born 110 or fewer years ago, married 95 or fewer years
                  ago, or had a child born 95 or fewer years ago.
                  . The record contains no death information.

                  Note: Any text in the fields for death and burial causes the system to
                  determine that the person is deceased.

                  While the problem may be a result of not correcting for the previous
                  way "living" was determined, the above is the current specifics.
                  Because data is still being transferred from NFS, it is entirely
                  possible that you will still find people "living" even if the 95/110
                  year rule has been met (that is, the person was born _more_ than 110
                  years ago _and_ did not have a marriage or child less than 95 years
                  ago.

                  My advice is to locate the actual death date and record that. Just
                  because you _think_ a person must have died, do not assume that is the
                  case. I have had to have ordinances reversed for two of my relatives
                  because people submitted the names of those who were still living.

                  In other words, unless you actually have personal knowledge of a
                  person's death, let the system do its thing.

                  Tom

                  On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 10:31:18 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

                  >Hi ,
                  >Why do people born in 1901 and 1902 show as living?
                  >

                  >Peter

                • Peter
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 23, 2013
                    Hi Tom, see my reply to Leslie.

                    Right now everyone born over a 110 years ago should show as deceased in FT and AQ

                    Peter

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 25 , Jun 23, 2013
                      Actually, the word deceased is not going to be input in the death date field just because a b-day is over 110 years ago. I would hate it if it did because I can assume they are dead if they are that old. I have brought individuals through nfs into my data-base and it puts the word deceased in the death date field. The first thing I do is delete that. I think I am smart enough to know if someone was born in 1852 that they are dead. I only want a date in that field.

                      It seems your preference is to have that word automatically input after 110 years. Perhaps that could be added as an option. But I would certainly opt out.

                      I am confused about AQ showing your folks as living? Do you get a message when you try to do temple work that these people born in 1901 or 1902 are still living? What does AQ do that tells you the program thinks these people are living?

                      It likely has to do with the previous requirement that said you must
                      have a death date to do ordinances for a person born less than 115
                      years ago. This is in regard to the FamilySearch Family Tree.

                      The current policy is:

                      The system uses rules to determine whether a person may still be
                      living.

                      The system considers that a person may be living if both of the
                      following situations apply:

                      . He or she was born 110 or fewer years ago, married 95 or fewer years
                      ago, or had a child born 95 or fewer years ago.
                      . The record contains no death information.

                      Note: Any text in the fields for death and burial causes the system to
                      determine that the person is deceased.

                      While the problem may be a result of not correcting for the previous
                      way "living" was determined, the above is the current specifics.
                      Because data is still being transferred from NFS, it is entirely
                      possible that you will still find people "living" even if the 95/110
                      year rule has been met (that is, the person was born _more_ than 110
                      years ago _and_ did not have a marriage or child less than 95 years
                      ago.

                      My advice is to locate the actual death date and record that. Just
                      because you _think_ a person must have died, do not assume that is the
                      case. I have had to have ordinances reversed for two of my relatives
                      because people submitted the names of those who were still living.

                      In other words, unless you actually have personal knowledge of a
                      person's death, let the system do its thing.

                      Tom

                      On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 10:31:18 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

                      >Hi ,
                      >Why do people born in 1901 and 1902 show as living?
                      >

                      >Peter

                    • Peter
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jun 23, 2013
                        Leslie,
                        yes,  you are right the word deceased is not being added on the FT and I didn't say that and I surely don't want that, but the record does change from "living" to "Deceased".
                        Or if you add someone who's birthday is over 110 years old FT will automatically accept the person as deceased.

                        The only place where the word "Living" shows up is in AQ in the ID field.

                        If you do a search for people born between 1 Jan 1898 and 1 Jan 1903 (and no death date) you will see that  people born in 1898 and 1899 show up in AQ without the word "Living" in the ID field but most, and that is the funny thing, but not all people born in 1900, 1901, 1902 and 1903 have the word "Living" in the ID field.

                        Peter

                        PS: a related question ;  How can you have the PID show in the edit screen? I am using AQ to open my PAF data and all records have the PID in the custom ID field.  It would be handy to be able to copy and paste the PID when working on the FT website.

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                          Wow. I cannot duplicate what you are talking about. I have 11 people in my data base who were born in 1901 or 1902 and who don’t have a death date.

                          You are saying that in the edit screen that the word living is in the ID# box. Mine has nothing in that box on all 11.

                          Perhaps my people are not showing the word living because there are temple ordinances indicated.

                          As an experiment, I just unlinked one of my 11 from nfs and deleted all the temple ordinances. Doing that deleted the PID but it did not add the word living to anyone.

                          So then I looked at some people who I know are living, namely me and my husband and my children and some of my grands. I don’t see the word living there either.

                          So there must be some sort of preference that you have checked that I don’t have or vice versa. I am flummoxed.

                          Also the familysearch ID# is in the box if I have linked my individual with nfs. I assume now that we can link with F/T that it will show there as well.

                          Message 12 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                            It sounds like you may be using an earlier version of AQ. The current
                            version is 14, build 11 (released yesterday and the one certified).

                            The following applies to version 14, build 11:
                            Open Preferences -- (Tools ... Preferences -or- Shift_Ctrl+p)

                            One the General Tab -- if you want to see the FT PID appended to the
                            name, select FamilySearch ID in the Append to Names pane.

                            Make sure you have Use LDS Data checked.

                            If you want to have the PID set with the file, Open Generate ID
                            Numbers (Tools ... Generate ID Numbers). In the Action pane, select
                            Set to FS PID. Make sure the Fileter is set to All.

                            Note: those records that have not been sync'd with Family Tree will
                            not have a FT PID. Sync'ing the record with Family Tree is what allows
                            AQ to pick up the FT PID.

                            Hope this helps.

                            Tom

                            Message 13 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                              Tom, you were right.  Build 11 fixed it.
                              So I changed it and now all the words "living" in the ID fields are gone.

                              I guess to copy/paste the PID from my data to FT still have to be done in PAF.

                              Peter

                              ps: Update was set to ones a week and did not show a notice.  And I could not find another place in the program to update from. Is there an update within the program?

                              ________________________________
                              It sounds like you may be using an earlier version of AQ. The current
                              version is 14, build 11 (released yesterday and the one certified).

                              The following applies to version 14, build 11:
                              Open Preferences -- (Tools ... Preferences -or- Shift_Ctrl+p)

                              One the General Tab -- if you want to see the FT PID appended to the
                              name, select FamilySearch ID in the Append to Names pane.

                              Make sure you have Use LDS Data checked.

                              If you want to have the PID set with the file, Open Generate ID
                              Numbers (Tools ... Generate ID Numbers). In the Action pane, select
                              Set to FS PID. Make sure the Fileter is set to All.

                              Note: those records that have not been sync'd with Family Tree will
                              not have a FT PID. Sync'ing the record with Family Tree is what allows
                              AQ to pick up the FT PID.

                              Hope this helps.

                              Tom

                              On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 23:24:22 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

                              >PS: a related question ; How can you have the PID show in the edit screen? I am using AQ to open my PAF data and all records have the PID in the custom ID field. It would be handy to be able to copy and paste the PID when working on the FT website.

                            • Margaret Thompson
                              Message 14 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                                In the program click the "Internet" pull down menu at the top and the third
                                down is "Check for latest AQ release"

                                Margaret

                                Message 15 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                                  Tom, not good.   AQ has deleted all the PID's of all living people too.

                                  I made a backup just before, but I am not impressed that there was no indication that it would do that.

                                  I still don't like it that I can not figure out how to access the PID for any of the records. Quite often I want to look at the record in FT while linking or checking for changes. Being able to copy and paste
                                  would make that a lot easier.

                                  But the good news is that the build 11 update seems to have fixed the "Living" tag for people
                                  born in 1900, 1901, 1902 and 1903.

                                  Thanks for your help.

                                   Peter

                                  ________________________________

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                                    Thanks Margaret, never thought to look there.

                                    Peter

                                    ________________________________

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                                      Sorry I am confused. Updates of AQ have not deleted any of the FSPIDs in my
                                      database (living or not). When you link an individual to FT through AQ the
                                      program automatically puts the PID number in the FamilySearch ID box. You
                                      cannot delete it (when you unlink the person it gets removed). You can copy
                                      the number to be pasted into a FT search box.

                                      Margaret

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                                        I'm not sure what is going on, Peter. AQ retains the PIDs for me. You
                                        might want to send a note directly to Gaylon Findlay
                                        <gfindlay@...> and ask him to look into the problem for you.
                                        You will like have to send him a copy of the backup of your AQ file.

                                        When I want to see the FT entry for the person and I'm in AQ, all I
                                        have to do is to have the person highlighted in Family, Pedigree, or
                                        even Name List and select FamilySearch... View person in FamilySearch.
                                        The system fires up my browser, asks me to log in, and then open FT
                                        with the Person View of the person I want to see.

                                        So, something is going on in your system. It may be a setting or
                                        something, but my copy has retained the PIDs even for living people.

                                        Now, there may be some simple explanation for this, but I don't know
                                        what it is.

                                        Hopefully, Gaylon can get you a resolution to the problem.

                                        Tom

                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                                          It sounds like the PIDs are coming into AQ by the operator actually copying
                                          and pasting. It is so much easier to link to F/T and import any new
                                          information or upload any missing information. Once the person is
                                          linked/synched, the PID naturally comes in.

                                          Leslie

                                          <gfindlay@... <mailto:gfindlay%40ancquest.com> > and ask him to

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                                            Margaret, not the update but the "Generate ID Numbers" function described below.

                                            Peter

                                            ________________________________

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                                              Leslie, that only works if you are directly related to the living relatives.

                                              Peter

                                              ________________________________

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                                                Hi Tom,  I might ask Mr. Findlay. But how it stands now it is not a problem anymore.  The word "Living" has disappeared from my data.

                                                Thanks for telling me about the link in FT.  It is perfect to have it right there but also in the "Link/Upload or "Check for changes" window because that is when I want to use it most.
                                                I had not noticed that "secret" icon.  :-)
                                                So the second part of my question about copy/paste PID's is also answered.

                                                But be prepared I might have many more question yet!!!!!   :-)

                                                Peter

                                                ________________________________

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                                                  If you are not related to a living person, then that person should not
                                                  be showing in Family Tree (they won't unless you have an immediate and
                                                  directly relationship to them).

                                                  If you created the person in Family Tree, then that is another matter
                                                  and you'll be able to see the person.

                                                  I haven't done any testing in that regard because, as an LDS member, I
                                                  have no reason to place them in Family Tree -or- perform any temple
                                                  work for them.

                                                  The reason for this not being allowed has to do with the problems
                                                  surrounding a specific person who is attempting to "prove" to the
                                                  world that we haven't kept our word to the descendants of Jewish
                                                  Holocaust victims and also with those who are related to celebrities,
                                                  but have no relationship to you.

                                                  This is pretty well spelled out in the current manuals on Family Tree.

                                                  Tom

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                                                    Yes, you are right. Living people are not searchable on family tree unless they are your parent, spouse or child. Thus if they aren’t searchable you cannot link/ sync to them.

                                                    <gfindlay@... <mailto:gfindlay%40ancquest.com> <mailto:gfindlay%40ancquest.com> > and ask him to

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Jun 24, 2013
                                                      Well said. Living people should be on your own data base and not anywhere
                                                      on the web, including family tree. We have to be diligent to respect the
                                                      privacy of living folks and only share on any tree on the web if those
                                                      living people have given permission.

                                                      If you are not related to a living person, then that person should not
                                                      be showing in Family Tree (they won't unless you have an immediate and
                                                      directly relationship to them).

                                                      If you created the person in Family Tree, then that is another matter
                                                      and you'll be able to see the person.

                                                      I haven't done any testing in that regard because, as an LDS member, I
                                                      have no reason to place them in Family Tree -or- perform any temple
                                                      work for them.

                                                      The reason for this not being allowed has to do with the problems
                                                      surrounding a specific person who is attempting to "prove" to the
                                                      world that we haven't kept our word to the descendants of Jewish
                                                      Holocaust victims and also with those who are related to celebrities,
                                                      but have no relationship to you.

                                                      This is pretty well spelled out in the current manuals on Family Tree.

                                                      Tom

                                                      On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 17:03:02 -0700 (PDT), you wrote:

                                                      >Leslie, that only works if you are directly related to the living
                                                      relatives.

                                                      >Peter

                                                      Of
                                                      >tomhuber.yah@... <mailto:tomhuber.yah%40gmail.com>