Re: [AQ_NFS] Unconnected Trees

  • Bill Buchanan
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 23, 2013
      Create a Copy of your AQ data file by using File menu > Copy, and follow
      these steps in the COPY. If you did not make a copy, please delete this
      message NOW, and read no further. The process below is simple, quick, and
      an absolute disaster if done incorrectly!

      In the COPY, click the Search menu, Advanced Filter Focus, in "Selections
      by Relationship", use the "All" filter to select everyone in the file, and
      click the Select button.

      Now make sure that you are selected at the top of the window, and change
      the filter to "All related" and click "Deselect". This removes all the
      people related to you from the set of selected people. Click the box at
      "Show Results Only", to display a list of the "unrelated people". You will
      want to check this list, just in case someone should not be there.

      If you click the Delete button, the selected people will be deleted
      PERMANENTLY from your data file. There is no way to undo this process in
      this copy of the file.

      This is powerful stuff! But if you mess up a secondary COPY, your main file
      is still intact. e.g. If an unrelated person is selected as the main person
      (instead of you), and you delete all of your relatives permanently, you can
      return to the good copy of your file and just delete the damaged file. If
      you blow this process in your only good file, you may be beyond help.

      If the process is successful, then the COPY can become your main data file.

      Bill Buchanan
      blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 23, 2013
        I use GEBViewer, by MudCreek, Software.com. It will read any ged file, PAF and possibly other file. It will list of "Islands" in your data base.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 23, 2013
          The best way to find unconnected trees is with another product Family Insight. It is a fantastic product from Ohana Software. Not only will it find them, it will group them together in
          separate trees (lets say three unconnected generations with 16 names exists, it will group those 16 as a tree and give it a tree number). Family Insight will also give you a list of all
          place names in your file and let you standardize them.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 23, 2013
            Family Insight is a good product to do this and will work with an AQ
            database, as long as you have not done any customizing of any of the
            "Other" fields (I have). If you've customized some of the fields, the
            Family Insight can created a corrupted AQ database, so if you do use
            Family Insight to work with your AQ database, have it work with only a
            renamed COPY of your working AQ database.

            There are some other features that I like about Family Insight, like
            the way it deals with place names and correcting them, but as long as
            it corrupts my database, I make use of AQs edit place names feature.

            Tom

            On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 20:34:25 -0400, you wrote:

            >The best way to find unconnected trees is with another product Family Insight. It is a fantastic product from Ohana Software. Not only will it find them, it will group them together in
            >separate trees (lets say three unconnected generations with 16 names exists, it will group those 16 as a tree and give it a tree number). Family Insight will also give you a list of all
            >place names in your file and let you standardize them.

          • Mary-Theresa
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 24, 2013
              Thanks.Mary-Theresa