Unconnected Trees

  • dxmdamer
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 23, 2013
      Does anyone know if there is an add-on that will find unconnected trees in Ancestral Quest? I am trying to clean up my database...
    • Bill Buchanan
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 23, 2013
        Create a Copy of your AQ data file by using File menu > Copy, and follow
        these steps in the COPY. If you did not make a copy, please delete this
        message NOW, and read no further. The process below is simple, quick, and
        an absolute disaster if done incorrectly!

        In the COPY, click the Search menu, Advanced Filter Focus, in "Selections
        by Relationship", use the "All" filter to select everyone in the file, and
        click the Select button.

        Now make sure that you are selected at the top of the window, and change
        the filter to "All related" and click "Deselect". This removes all the
        people related to you from the set of selected people. Click the box at
        "Show Results Only", to display a list of the "unrelated people". You will
        want to check this list, just in case someone should not be there.

        If you click the Delete button, the selected people will be deleted
        PERMANENTLY from your data file. There is no way to undo this process in
        this copy of the file.

        This is powerful stuff! But if you mess up a secondary COPY, your main file
        is still intact. e.g. If an unrelated person is selected as the main person
        (instead of you), and you delete all of your relatives permanently, you can
        return to the good copy of your file and just delete the damaged file. If
        you blow this process in your only good file, you may be beyond help.

        If the process is successful, then the COPY can become your main data file.

        Bill Buchanan
        blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 23, 2013
          I use GEBViewer, by MudCreek, Software.com. It will read any ged file, PAF and possibly other file. It will list of "Islands" in your data base.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 23, 2013
            The best way to find unconnected trees is with another product Family Insight. It is a fantastic product from Ohana Software. Not only will it find them, it will group them together in
            separate trees (lets say three unconnected generations with 16 names exists, it will group those 16 as a tree and give it a tree number). Family Insight will also give you a list of all
            place names in your file and let you standardize them.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 23, 2013
              Family Insight is a good product to do this and will work with an AQ
              database, as long as you have not done any customizing of any of the
              "Other" fields (I have). If you've customized some of the fields, the
              Family Insight can created a corrupted AQ database, so if you do use
              Family Insight to work with your AQ database, have it work with only a
              renamed COPY of your working AQ database.

              There are some other features that I like about Family Insight, like
              the way it deals with place names and correcting them, but as long as
              it corrupts my database, I make use of AQs edit place names feature.

              Tom

              On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 20:34:25 -0400, you wrote:

              >The best way to find unconnected trees is with another product Family Insight. It is a fantastic product from Ohana Software. Not only will it find them, it will group them together in
              >separate trees (lets say three unconnected generations with 16 names exists, it will group those 16 as a tree and give it a tree number). Family Insight will also give you a list of all
              >place names in your file and let you standardize them.

            • Mary-Theresa
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 24, 2013
                Thanks.Mary-Theresa