AQ not going to other sites

  • Fred
    Message 1 of 2 , May 7, 2013
      Have been using AQ 14 and in the past it would go to Family Search when the option was picked. Also went to review individual. Now AQ will only review.

      AQ will not go to Family Tree or Family Search nor will it go to Ancestry.com. Program will also not go the AQ home page in internet.

      I have upgraded and received a new Registration Key.

      This is a function I used a great deal.

      Fred
      fbrandli@...
    • Paul, Incline Support
      Message 2 of 2 , May 8, 2013
        Fred:

        From what you are describing, it sounds as though Windows does not have
        its default web browser set correctly.

        When Ancestral Quest needs to go to a website, it just tells Windows to
        'launch the browser.' So Windows starts up whichever browser is set as
        the default Internet browser.

        The one exception to this is the "Newsline" Window that opens up in AQ
        once per day (or once per week, depending on how you have set that
        preference). Because of the way that window is created, clicking on any
        link within that Newsline window will _always_ launch Internet Explorer,
        and unfortunately, there is no way to change that, at present.

        You can test your default browser by going to the Windows Start menu and
        selecting "Run". Then type in any web page address (such as AQ's home
        page: "www.ancquest.com") and press Enter. If it brings up a web page,
        then the browser that it appears within is your default browser. My
        guess is that it will not come up.

        Here is how you can go about fixing it.

        Choose either Internet Explorer (it comes with Windows) or Mozilla
        Firefox (if you have downloaded and installed it) ...or some other
        preferred browser... to be your default browser.

        Now, we need to set that browser as the default. You can do this (a)
        through the browser or (b) through Windows.

        (a) Through the browser:

        Launch your preferred browser program.

        Through the Preferences or Settings or Tools or Internet Options, tell
        that browser to become the default browser. (I don't have specifics on
        this procedure for each browser, unfortunately.) You may want to consult
        the Help system for the Browser to find out how to set it as the Default
        Internet Browser

        http://www.guidingtech.com/6579/change-default-browser-make-firefox-chrome-ie-default-browser/

        (b) Through Windows:

        The following links will take you to third party websites that have
        instructions for setting the default browser. You may consult them to
        find out how to tell Windows, directly, which browser to use as the default.

        Windows XP:
        http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/defaultbrowser.mspx

        Windows 7/Vista:
        http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-set-default-browser-and-email-programs-in-w.navId-397910.html