Re: [AQ_NFS] Is this true?

  • Bill Buchanan
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 9, 2013
      Familysearch is starting to give programming access to Family Tree. There
      are three new programs that are certified to use Family Tree rather than
      new.familysearch.org. I believe they were announced at RootsTech. (These
      are marked by a checkmark/tick in the official list at
      https://familysearch.org/products) The only one of the three that is a
      database manager is a special pilot version of RootsMagic.

      I expect that there will be FT versions of other nFS-certified programs
      released soon, including AQ. We just need to be patient. I would rather
      have to wait a few months for Gaylon's team to do a good job than to have
      them rush a half-finished product to market. FT is a moving target. It
      keeps changing. If you check the video on the familysearch.org website, you
      will see that several changes are due to happen very soon.

      Bill Buchanan
      blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com

      On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 5:21 AM, Sally <fbsb@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Today Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter has an article claiming that
      > "RootsMagic is the ONLY software certified to share with FamilySearch
      > Family Tree." Is this true? Has FamilySearch actually cut ties with
      > Ancestral Quest?

    • Sally
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 9, 2013
        Thanks, Bill & Miles, for your answers. I, too, would rather wait for Gaylon & team, AND I have no intention of switching programs. I was simply surprised that any one program would be singled out that way.
        -Sally

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 9, 2013
          Considering that the RootsMagic product certified is a "pilot"
          version, and not the production version, I would say that Gaylon and
          crew are working on their own "pilot" versions, getting them ready for
          prime time production versions.

          I would prefer to wait for the production version, rather than trust a
          pilot version not to corrupt my files on my local computer. I'm not
          saying that RootsMagic product would do that, but I would rather not
          take a chance. My years of "testing" in the computer industry are
          behind me.

          Tom

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 9, 2013
            Sally and others.

            First, thanks to those who have responded on this.

            Second, let me make sure that all users of AQ understand what is happening.

            Here's a little history. Back in 2008, AQ became the first desktop genealogy software to be certified to work with New.FamilySearch. At the time, there wasn't another means of working with FamilySearch databases, so AQ was actually the ONLY desktop family tree software that could work with FamilySearch data for about 8 months, before RootsMagic joined us.

            The current situation is a bit different. We are in a transition period, where the older "NFS" and the newer "Family Tree" can both be used to work with FamilySearch databases. We are on target for transitioning AQ from working with nFS to working with FT. No ties have been cut between FamilySearch and AQ. While RootsMagic apparently completed the transition first, you can still access the FamilySearch databases through AQ, as we complete the transition.

            For those of you who are using AQ's ability to select the best version of birth/christening/death/burial for Family Tree, the longer AQ maintains the connection with nFS, the more time you will have to perform this work. You do not have the ability with any other software to see all three of these databases (your personal file, the nFS data and the Family Tree data) at the same time, as you perform this task.