Re: [AQ_NFS] removing a wife

  • Rosemary Hopkins
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 8, 2013
      Unlinking each child and putting them back in the correct relationship
      seems like a lot of work. Is there another way to delete unwanted marriage
      relationships in family tree? I have such a problem and would prefer to
      not have to unlink each one and then put them all back in. I will do that
      if that is truly the only way to do it. It seems there needs to be an
      easier solution. My family has five children, but I have a few couples
      with upwards of 12-15 children. Thanks for the information. Rosemary

      On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 8:40 PM, Bill Buchanan <genealogistbuchanan@...
      > wrote:

      > As long as there are any children linking them as a couple in FT, deleting
      > the marriage does not unlink them as a couple. All children must be
      > unlinked from one or both, and then the couple-relationship disappears.
      >

      > Bill Buchanan
      > website: http://billbuchanan.byethost17.com
      > blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com
      >

      > On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 1:19 PM, Cleadie B <cleadieb@...> wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Thanks for the reply. One would think this should work, and I thought it
      > > had at one time. When I tried it yesterday, all it did was remove the
      > data
      > > about the marriage (date and place) the name is still there.
      > >
      > > Cleadie B
      > >
      > > ________________________________

    • Bill Buchanan
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 8, 2013
        Rosemary,

        This afternoon I used Teamviewer to help a caller in her family tree, where
        5 children were shown with the correct mother but the wrong father. (A
        stranger who didn't even have the same surname as the children!)
        Fortunately, the mother was also shown as married to the correct husband,
        but with no children. In a few minutes we replaced the wrong father with
        the correct one. It took maybe 3 minutes per child to click on Edit
        Relationship, click on the name of the wrong father, click Change, Find by
        number, paste in the ID of the correct father, click Select, put in "wrong
        father" as the reason and then save the change. When the last child was
        moved to the correct father, the false marriage relationship vanished.
        Admittedly, I had to prompt the patron step-by-step for the first child,
        but she learned quickly.

        FT is still new to us. We had 5 years to learn to use nFS. We became very
        efficient at using its various tricks and shortcuts. I am starting to
        appreciate FT more and more as I go through the process of learning its
        tricks and shortcuts. I look forward to AQ being able to sync directly with
        FT.

        Bill Buchanan

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 9, 2013
          Thought I'd report on my progress of fixing my file with the two Amanda.

          I began to remove the children, and the first one I deleted the relationship for did the trick for this family, as the right wife appeared, and even that son was back in place. This left the man with four families, instead of the three he should of had.

          I then went down to the fourth family and removed all the children and then the relationship for that wife. By then everything was back in place, even the "wrong wife" had her right husband and family.

          It took me less than 15 minutes.

          Thanks for all the suggestions.