RE: [AQ_NFS] removing a wife

  • sm99923
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 6, 2013
      Frankly it does not matter a hoot if you "hide" any evidence of a combined
      record.

      It has been the combining and un-combining of records on anyone's fanciful
      will that has caused these problems - I believe it a mistake to continue
      this process in any way.

      Instead - use the FT functions to delete relationships backed up by your own
      source entries and any Discussion you feel necessary to start that will
      explain what you have done . . . essentially, get FT correct . . . forget
      nFS.

      ===Stewart

      From: Cleadie B <cleadieb@... <mailto:cleadieb%40yahoo.ca> >
      To: "AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AQ_NFS%40yahoogroups.com> "
      <AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AQ_NFS%40yahoogroups.com> >
      Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 12:33:35 -0700 (PDT)

      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 6, 2013
        The last time I tried Ancestor Split (a week or so ago), it failed to
        work. At this point, I don't know if it will work with the latest
        changes to newfamilysearch or not. It is available here:
        http://www.ancestorsplit.com/

        The advise to examine and identify the PIDs and then send the
        information to FamilySearch (as feedback) is probably the best option,
        asking them to separate the two individuals in FamilyTree.

        Tom

        On Sat, 6 Apr 2013 10:43:47 -0600, you wrote:

        >I have not tried this but I have been told that you can use Ancestor Split
        >(from Ohana Software) to uncombine miscombined records. It is available free
        >at Family History Centers.
        >
        >Margaret

      • Bob Penry
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 6, 2013
          At the end of several of my lines in Family Tree, I have endless loops – Even though there is a song, one cannot be one’s own grandfather. I have found that the best way to delete any bad relationship is to first unlink the children, then undo the marriage relationship. In some cases the marriage is repeated multiple times. Just undo them one at a time until you have cleaned the record on the tree. In some cases, this involves backing down several generations, deleting multiple relationships. I had one that took me almost two hours to finally get everyone in the proper relationship. It can really be a puzzle, but be patient and keep at it. I agree with forgetting NFS. Just fix the tree.

          Just an observation. The Tree is good for direct ancestors (grandparents) and is OK for uncles and aunts. But trying to figure out how to get to the spouse of a 4th cousin 6 times removed, makes it very evident that the tree is not a replacement for a good genealogy program like AQ. In order to work the two together, it is vital that you have linked everyone in AQ to Family Search. However, when the Tree was built, it did not always bring in the NFS-ID that I had received when I did my links. It is frustrating to do a search on the tree and be told that the NFS-ID can’t be found. At this point you have to do a person search by name and it will usually find the record. At that time, it is a good idea to check everyone in the family and perhaps even a generation up or down to make sure that the NFS-ID’s match. This requires doing a review on each person.

          For Gaylon. Does the search for ordinance updates find these changes and fix AQ with the Tree NFS-ID?

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 6, 2013
            As long as there are any children linking them as a couple in FT, deleting
            the marriage does not unlink them as a couple. All children must be
            unlinked from one or both, and then the couple-relationship disappears.

            Bill Buchanan
            blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com

            On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 1:19 PM, Cleadie B <cleadieb@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Thanks for the reply. One would think this should work, and I thought it
            > had at one time. When I tried it yesterday, all it did was remove the data
            > about the marriage (date and place) the name is still there.
            >
            > Cleadie B
            >
            > ________________________________

          • Rosemary Hopkins
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 8, 2013
              Unlinking each child and putting them back in the correct relationship
              seems like a lot of work. Is there another way to delete unwanted marriage
              relationships in family tree? I have such a problem and would prefer to
              not have to unlink each one and then put them all back in. I will do that
              if that is truly the only way to do it. It seems there needs to be an
              easier solution. My family has five children, but I have a few couples
              with upwards of 12-15 children. Thanks for the information. Rosemary

              On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 8:40 PM, Bill Buchanan <genealogistbuchanan@...
              > wrote:

              > As long as there are any children linking them as a couple in FT, deleting
              > the marriage does not unlink them as a couple. All children must be
              > unlinked from one or both, and then the couple-relationship disappears.
              >

              > Bill Buchanan
              > website: http://billbuchanan.byethost17.com
              > blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com
              >

              > On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 1:19 PM, Cleadie B <cleadieb@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > Thanks for the reply. One would think this should work, and I thought it
              > > had at one time. When I tried it yesterday, all it did was remove the
              > data
              > > about the marriage (date and place) the name is still there.
              > >
              > > Cleadie B
              > >
              > > ________________________________

            • Bill Buchanan
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 8, 2013
                Rosemary,

                This afternoon I used Teamviewer to help a caller in her family tree, where
                5 children were shown with the correct mother but the wrong father. (A
                stranger who didn't even have the same surname as the children!)
                Fortunately, the mother was also shown as married to the correct husband,
                but with no children. In a few minutes we replaced the wrong father with
                the correct one. It took maybe 3 minutes per child to click on Edit
                Relationship, click on the name of the wrong father, click Change, Find by
                number, paste in the ID of the correct father, click Select, put in "wrong
                father" as the reason and then save the change. When the last child was
                moved to the correct father, the false marriage relationship vanished.
                Admittedly, I had to prompt the patron step-by-step for the first child,
                but she learned quickly.

                FT is still new to us. We had 5 years to learn to use nFS. We became very
                efficient at using its various tricks and shortcuts. I am starting to
                appreciate FT more and more as I go through the process of learning its
                tricks and shortcuts. I look forward to AQ being able to sync directly with
                FT.

                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 9, 2013
                  Thought I'd report on my progress of fixing my file with the two Amanda.

                  I began to remove the children, and the first one I deleted the relationship for did the trick for this family, as the right wife appeared, and even that son was back in place. This left the man with four families, instead of the three he should of had.

                  I then went down to the fourth family and removed all the children and then the relationship for that wife. By then everything was back in place, even the "wrong wife" had her right husband and family.

                  It took me less than 15 minutes.

                  Thanks for all the suggestions.