removing a wife

    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 6 6:15 AM
      Can anyone tell me how to un-merge or remove a wife using nFS or FT? nFS says you can un-merge using FT, but I can't figure out how, or where this is done.

      I have a family that has the wrong wife. Her name is Amanda, but her record have been merged with another Amanda. The second Amanda is now linked to both her right husband and the wrong husband. All families are correctly recorded. All I need to do is have her removed from the wrong family.

    • Margaret Thompson
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 6 9:43 AM
        I have not tried this but I have been told that you can use Ancestor Split
        (from Ohana Software) to uncombine miscombined records. It is available free
        at Family History Centers.

        Margaret

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 6 11:14 AM
          If you are on the Pedigree view of Family Tree, click on Amanda, then choose, "View Person".

          Once you are looking at the Person details, scroll down to the Family records. You should see a box for each spouse. Click on Edit Couple.

          Once looking at the couple facts, you should see an option to Delete Relationship. Whether this works or not, I don't know. But the links would indicate that it should.

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 6 11:52 AM
            If the problem is because of a merge in family tree, and there has not been changes to the data since the merge, look at the recent changes, then click "show all" and there will be an unmerge button.
            However if the problem is because of an inappropriate combining, go to new.familysearch.org to examine the "combined records" and determine which PID's should be removed to properly separate the two women. Then follow Knowledge document (KD) 106612 and send the information to support.familysearch.org for data administration people to do the separation.

            KD 106612 can be found by clicking help and entering that number in the question window. But I include it here:
            "
            Document ID: 106612
            A record has information for more than one person
            Symptoms (Problems)

            There are many names in one record that need to be separated.
            An incorrectly combined record contains the details and relationships of more than one person.
            One record contains several different people.
            My ancestor is mixed up with other people.

            Answer (Resolution)

            Most changes can now be made in *Family Tree . However, if in your relative's combined record found in new.FamilySearch, you can determine that there are 2 or more individuals represented, follow the steps below to detail and report the problem.
            Find your relative in new.FamilySearch
            Record the Person identifier number of the person.
            From the Summary tab for your relative, click Combined records(found at the bottom of the page)
            Note:Each column on the Combined records screen represents a single record that was combined to create this person. Toward the bottom of the column you will find the Person identifier number of that record. These numbers will help you identify to us which records you want us to review.
            Record the Person Identifier numbers of each column that does NOT represent your relative and explain why. (In some cases it may be easier to tell us which columns DO represent your relative)
            Provide your name, birthdate, Contact name, and Helper access number. (See instruction below to find your Contact name and Helper access number)
            Send an e-mail to support@... detailing the problem from the information you have recorded and, if possible, include (attach) a family group sheet showing the correct family structure. eg. Your relative, their spouse, children and parents. In the subject of your e-mail include a statement like "Record xxxx-xxx has information for more than one person", replacing xxxx-xxx with the identifier you recorded in step 2.
            Finding your Contact name or Helper access number:

            From the Home page of the new FamilySearch:
            Click Update My Profile and Preferences.
            Enter your password.
            Scroll down to the bottom of the Profile window to view your Contact name and Helper access number.
            "
            The data administration people are very helpful in separating people who have been wrongly combined.
            Symptoms to look for using AQ (because AQ shows you all the data):
            more than one set of parents
            husbands that don't belong to your ancestor
            too many or wrong children
            wide range of birth or death dates or places
            etc.
            Merlin Kitchen

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 6 12:15 PM
              Unfortunately I am an hour drive from a FH Center, and it is doubtful that I can get there for some time to come. Thanks for the suggestion. I will keep it in mind.

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 6 12:19 PM
                Thanks for the reply. One would think this should work, and I thought it had at one time. When I tried it yesterday, all it did was remove the data about the marriage (date and place) the name is still there.

                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 6 12:33 PM
                  Thanks for the reply. I'll study your suggestion and see if I can make it work, but I have my doubts.

                  When I looked at the combined records for Amanda Margaret, it has been merged 14 times. Twelve are correct, and numbers 13 and 14 are for my Amanda (no other names). I have tried various ways to just remove Amanda Margaret from my line and that should do the trick. She is what is causing the problem, as she is with my line and her own. Because I have tried so many things it is now  messed up and I have little hope of making it right.I think my best bet is to send the request off to Support and let them handle it.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 6 12:40 PM
                    It does not matter how many records are in the combined person. I have sent them data where there was 134 records combined. I just finished one where there 7 different women in the record. Just tell them which pid's that you want separated out from the group.

                    Don't mess with the relationships on Family Tree as you just hide the evidence that there is a mis-combined record. Use this KD first.
                    Merlin Kitchen

                    Please note: message attached

                    From: Cleadie B <cleadieb@...>
                    To: "AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com" <AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com>
                    Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 12:33:35 -0700 (PDT)

                  • sm99923
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 6 1:46 PM
                      Frankly it does not matter a hoot if you "hide" any evidence of a combined
                      record.

                      It has been the combining and un-combining of records on anyone's fanciful
                      will that has caused these problems - I believe it a mistake to continue
                      this process in any way.

                      Instead - use the FT functions to delete relationships backed up by your own
                      source entries and any Discussion you feel necessary to start that will
                      explain what you have done . . . essentially, get FT correct . . . forget
                      nFS.

                      ===Stewart

                      From: Cleadie B <cleadieb@... <mailto:cleadieb%40yahoo.ca> >
                      To: "AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AQ_NFS%40yahoogroups.com> "
                      <AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AQ_NFS%40yahoogroups.com> >
                      Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 12:33:35 -0700 (PDT)

                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 6 7:51 PM
                        The last time I tried Ancestor Split (a week or so ago), it failed to
                        work. At this point, I don't know if it will work with the latest
                        changes to newfamilysearch or not. It is available here:
                        http://www.ancestorsplit.com/

                        The advise to examine and identify the PIDs and then send the
                        information to FamilySearch (as feedback) is probably the best option,
                        asking them to separate the two individuals in FamilyTree.

                        Tom

                        On Sat, 6 Apr 2013 10:43:47 -0600, you wrote:

                        >I have not tried this but I have been told that you can use Ancestor Split
                        >(from Ohana Software) to uncombine miscombined records. It is available free
                        >at Family History Centers.
                        >
                        >Margaret

                      • Bob Penry
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 6 8:15 PM
                          At the end of several of my lines in Family Tree, I have endless loops – Even though there is a song, one cannot be one’s own grandfather. I have found that the best way to delete any bad relationship is to first unlink the children, then undo the marriage relationship. In some cases the marriage is repeated multiple times. Just undo them one at a time until you have cleaned the record on the tree. In some cases, this involves backing down several generations, deleting multiple relationships. I had one that took me almost two hours to finally get everyone in the proper relationship. It can really be a puzzle, but be patient and keep at it. I agree with forgetting NFS. Just fix the tree.

                          Just an observation. The Tree is good for direct ancestors (grandparents) and is OK for uncles and aunts. But trying to figure out how to get to the spouse of a 4th cousin 6 times removed, makes it very evident that the tree is not a replacement for a good genealogy program like AQ. In order to work the two together, it is vital that you have linked everyone in AQ to Family Search. However, when the Tree was built, it did not always bring in the NFS-ID that I had received when I did my links. It is frustrating to do a search on the tree and be told that the NFS-ID can’t be found. At this point you have to do a person search by name and it will usually find the record. At that time, it is a good idea to check everyone in the family and perhaps even a generation up or down to make sure that the NFS-ID’s match. This requires doing a review on each person.

                          For Gaylon. Does the search for ordinance updates find these changes and fix AQ with the Tree NFS-ID?

                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 6 8:40 PM
                            As long as there are any children linking them as a couple in FT, deleting
                            the marriage does not unlink them as a couple. All children must be
                            unlinked from one or both, and then the couple-relationship disappears.

                            Bill Buchanan
                            blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com

                            On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 1:19 PM, Cleadie B <cleadieb@...> wrote:

                            > **
                            >

                            > Thanks for the reply. One would think this should work, and I thought it
                            > had at one time. When I tried it yesterday, all it did was remove the data
                            > about the marriage (date and place) the name is still there.
                            >
                            > Cleadie B
                            >
                            > ________________________________

                          • Rosemary Hopkins
                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 8 3:26 PM
                              Unlinking each child and putting them back in the correct relationship
                              seems like a lot of work. Is there another way to delete unwanted marriage
                              relationships in family tree? I have such a problem and would prefer to
                              not have to unlink each one and then put them all back in. I will do that
                              if that is truly the only way to do it. It seems there needs to be an
                              easier solution. My family has five children, but I have a few couples
                              with upwards of 12-15 children. Thanks for the information. Rosemary

                              On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 8:40 PM, Bill Buchanan <genealogistbuchanan@...
                              > wrote:

                              > As long as there are any children linking them as a couple in FT, deleting
                              > the marriage does not unlink them as a couple. All children must be
                              > unlinked from one or both, and then the couple-relationship disappears.
                              >

                              > Bill Buchanan
                              > website: http://billbuchanan.byethost17.com
                              > blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com
                              >

                              > On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 1:19 PM, Cleadie B <cleadieb@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > **
                              > >

                              > > Thanks for the reply. One would think this should work, and I thought it
                              > > had at one time. When I tried it yesterday, all it did was remove the
                              > data
                              > > about the marriage (date and place) the name is still there.
                              > >
                              > > Cleadie B
                              > >
                              > > ________________________________

                            • Bill Buchanan
                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 8 8:50 PM
                                Rosemary,

                                This afternoon I used Teamviewer to help a caller in her family tree, where
                                5 children were shown with the correct mother but the wrong father. (A
                                stranger who didn't even have the same surname as the children!)
                                Fortunately, the mother was also shown as married to the correct husband,
                                but with no children. In a few minutes we replaced the wrong father with
                                the correct one. It took maybe 3 minutes per child to click on Edit
                                Relationship, click on the name of the wrong father, click Change, Find by
                                number, paste in the ID of the correct father, click Select, put in "wrong
                                father" as the reason and then save the change. When the last child was
                                moved to the correct father, the false marriage relationship vanished.
                                Admittedly, I had to prompt the patron step-by-step for the first child,
                                but she learned quickly.

                                FT is still new to us. We had 5 years to learn to use nFS. We became very
                                efficient at using its various tricks and shortcuts. I am starting to
                                appreciate FT more and more as I go through the process of learning its
                                tricks and shortcuts. I look forward to AQ being able to sync directly with
                                FT.

                                Message 15 of 15 , Apr 9 5:56 AM
                                  Thought I'd report on my progress of fixing my file with the two Amanda.

                                  I began to remove the children, and the first one I deleted the relationship for did the trick for this family, as the right wife appeared, and even that son was back in place. This left the man with four families, instead of the three he should of had.

                                  I then went down to the fourth family and removed all the children and then the relationship for that wife. By then everything was back in place, even the "wrong wife" had her right husband and family.

                                  It took me less than 15 minutes.

                                  Thanks for all the suggestions.