Uploading photos

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 22, 2013
      Awhile ago I added a few photos to Family Tree. Had a bit if trouble, but with help I finally got it right.

      Tried today to add more. Got them uploaded and named, but can't find the spot to link them to Family Tree. The format seems different than it did the last time :-( Can anyone tell me where that link feature is hiding?

      Thanks, Cleadie B

    • mkitchen@juno.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 22, 2013
        If you have already tagged the people in your photos:
        1. Click on People
        2. you will get a screen--the upper half has tagged people not yet linked in Family Tree; the bottom half are those already linked.
        3. click on the circle-photo in the upper half. That takes you to a new screen.
        4. click on the small down pointing arrow to the right of the name.
        5. That area expands and gives you two choices:
        a. edit the name (it is advantageous to have the name exactly the way they have in family tree, including women having their maiden name.)
        b. search for the person in Family Tree
        6. click the search button.
        7. you will get a list of possible matches. If your person appears in the list (it should be at the top unless it is a common name), click the select button.
        If the person does not appear in the list, click the "new" button and search by their ID number.

        Merlin Kitchen

        TransUnion® Official Site
        Free and Fast Credit Score & monitoring alerts. TransUnion!
        http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/514cce7a5572d4e7a50afst02vuc
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 22, 2013
          Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I had gotten to what you list as item number 7. I have gone to Family Tree and found the person. From there nothing happens to put the link on the photo. No photo is joined to the person on FT.

          I have tried this quite a number of times, with the same results.

          However, thanks for the time you have spent to give me such detailed directions.

          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 22, 2013
            Hey for the less advanced users were do we find instructions for loading photos, instructions that were designed for us seniors

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 22, 2013
              Cleadie, I will try it with Chrome ...
              OK I was successful in uploading another 2 photos. These were for someone
              who was not previously tagged.

              If I could maybe amend the 7th point:
              7. you will get a list of possible matches. If your person appears in the
              list (it should be at the top unless it is a common name), click the select
              button to link the photo to the record in FT.
              If the person does not appear in the list, click the "Refine" button and
              search by their ID number or personal information.

              Once you click on Select, it takes you back to the screen with the name in
              large print, followed by the drop-down arrow (looking like a wide letter V)
              Click the drop-down arrow and click on Person to see the record, complete
              with the linked photos.

              The photos I just added are linked to this record L8R3-6WZ They are not
              great photos but they are the only ones I have of someone who meant a lot
              to me in my childhood.

              Bill Buchanan
              blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 22, 2013
                Thanks for the suggestion. I think ??? this is what I had done, but a 9:00 pm, and many tries I'm no longer know what I  am doing. Will try again in the morning.

                Thanks to all who have sent directions.

                OK I was successful in uploading another 2 photos. These were for someone
                who was not previously tagged.

                If I could maybe amend the 7th point:
                7. you will get a list of possible matches. If your person appears in the
                list (it should be at the top unless it is a common name), click the select
                button to link the photo to the record in FT.
                If the person does not appear in the list, click the "Refine" button and
                search by their ID number or personal information.

                Once you click on Select, it takes you back to the screen with the name in
                large print, followed by the drop-down arrow (looking like a wide letter V)
                Click the drop-down arrow and click on Person to see the record, complete
                with the linked photos.

                The photos I just added are linked to this record L8R3-6WZ  They are not
                great photos but they are the only ones I have of someone who meant a lot
                to me in my childhood.

                Bill Buchanan
                blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com

                On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 4:45 PM, Cleadie B <cleadieb@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I had gotten to what you list as
                > item number 7. I have gone to Family Tree and found the person. From there
                > nothing happens to put the link on the photo. No photo is joined to the
                > person on FT.
                >
                > I have tried this quite a number of times, with the same results.
                >
                > However, thanks for the time you have spent to give me such detailed
                > directions.
                >
                > Cleadie B
                >
                > ________________________________

              • Bill Buchanan
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 22, 2013
                  This link may work
                  https://help.familysearch.org/publishing/507/114832_f.SAL_Member.html

                  If not, sign-in FamilySearch.org, click Help in the upper right-hand corner
                  and use this search term in the Ask a Question form:
                  How to link a photo to an ancestor in Family Tree

                  Or use Photos as the search term, and browse through the 5 pages of results.
                  (The results include using photos in PAF, etc. so some patience may be
                  required.)

                  Bill Buchanan
                  blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com

                  On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 5:14 PM, William Knight
                  <williamknight57@...>wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > Hey for the less advanced users were do we find instructions for loading
                  > photos, instructions that were designed for us seniors
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • William Knight
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 22, 2013
                    Hey Bill it say's only church members can upload photos at this time, so guess will have to wait

                    ________________________________

                    website: http://billbuchanan.byethost17.com/

                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 23, 2013
                      Well morning came, and my last attempt last nigh must have been done correctly. The photo was linked to my grandfather as it was supposed to be when I opened my program.

                      Many thanks for those who sent suggestions. Just hope I remember everything the next time I try it,

                      Thanks for the suggestion. I think ??? this is what I had done, but a 9:00 pm, and many tries I'm no longer know what I  am doing. Will try again in the morning.

                      Thanks to all who have sent directions.

                      OK I was successful in uploading another 2 photos. These were for someone
                      who was not previously tagged.

                      If I could maybe amend the 7th point:
                      7. you will get a list of possible matches. If your person appears in the
                      list (it should be at the top unless it is a common name), click the select
                      button to link the photo to the record in FT.
                      If the person does not appear in the list, click the "Refine" button and
                      search by their ID number or personal information.

                      Once you click on Select, it takes you back to the screen with the name in
                      large print, followed by the drop-down arrow (looking like a wide letter V)
                      Click the drop-down arrow and click on Person to see the record, complete
                      with the linked photos.

                      The photos I just added are linked to this record L8R3-6WZ  They are not
                      great photos but they are the only ones I have of someone who meant a lot
                      to me in my childhood.

                      Bill Buchanan
                      blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com

                      On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 4:45 PM, Cleadie B <cleadieb@...> wrote:

                      > **
                      >

                      > Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I had gotten to what you list as
                      > item number 7. I have gone to Family Tree and found the person. From there
                      > nothing happens to put the link on the photo. No photo is joined to the
                      > person on FT.
                      >
                      > I have tried this quite a number of times, with the same results.
                      >
                      > However, thanks for the time you have spent to give me such detailed
                      > directions.
                      >
                      > Cleadie B
                      >
                      > ________________________________

                    • Bill Buchanan
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 23, 2013
                        Yes, for now only LDS accounts have access to Photos and Stories. At
                        present the site is not yet ready for the general public. The interface and
                        procedures can change every few days. (e.g. Last week they changed some of
                        the steps for linking a photo to the Family Tree, which caused a flood of
                        confusion and frustration. This resulted in the revised help document I
                        referred to.) There are bugs that I personally keep running into, but the
                        engineers are working at solving the problems.

                        I understand that at present the engineers are giving access to 50
                        additional LDS accounts per day. When more of the programming problems are
                        overcome, Photos and Stories will be made available to everyone. I expect
                        that to take a few weeks, possibly even months. So I am sorry if I raised
                        people's hopes unrealistically.

                        If you use an LDS account and have not yet tried Photos and Stories, your
                        chances of gaining access are better in the morning. If you wait until the
                        evening you may get the message saying that the site is not accepting any
                        more accounts for that day. In my experience, once you have been given
                        access, it will not matter what time of the day you sign in.

                        Bill Buchanan

                      • William Knight
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 23, 2013
                          Well it is something worth waiting for, thanks Bill
                          Bill