Re: [AncestralQuest] Re: Problem with syncing and WRITING new data to Family Search

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 4 6:06 PM
      gb8919:

      You mentioned that this problem is not hard to reproduce. I think it would be easiest for me to follow what you are doing if I could see some screen shots. Do you think you could go through the steps that cause this problem, and take screen shots along the way, then send the images to me (gfindlay@...) along with a narrative of what steps are being taken?

      If AQ has a problem, I want to understand it thoroughly, so I can make appropriate adjustments.

      Thanks,

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 4 8:45 PM
        The complaint is that the Set Family Tree values only works when the
        selected option is in the upper list. That's because the list comes
        from FamilySearch, and not what is unique to the local AQ data. The
        value in the lower list is what is in the local AQ file, and unless it
        matches something that is in the FamilySearch records, the Family
        Search value will not set to the AQ value until that value is saved
        into FamilySearch.

        Something that I have noticed is that if you select a value that is
        only in AQ, it appears that the value is transferred to FamilySearch,
        but is _not_ set as the Family Search value in all cases. It is set,
        however, once the value has been moved to Family Search.

        I don't know if Gaylon intended to allow us to set the Family Search
        value from within a value that was only in AQ, or if that is not what
        he intended.

        Tom

        On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 19:06:07 -0700 (MST), you wrote:

        >gb8919:
        >
        >You mentioned that this problem is not hard to reproduce. I think it would be easiest for me to follow what you are doing if I could see some screen shots. Do you think you could go through the steps that cause this problem, and take screen shots along the way, then send the images to me (gfindlay@...) along with a narrative of what steps are being taken?
        >
        >If AQ has a problem, I want to understand it thoroughly, so I can make appropriate adjustments.
        >
        >Thanks,
        >
        >Gaylon

      • jablack1
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 5 8:13 AM
          Are you sure there are no parentheses around the data at the very bottom? The parentheses mean there is identical data in the list and you need to select that instead of the one at the bottom. If you select the one at the bottom with parentheses than it acts like what you state as your porblem.

          Jody

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 7 3:47 PM
            Tom and anybody else interested in this topic:

            Gina had sent me some information that helped me pinpoint what she was having trouble with. As a result, I have fixed one specific problem, and put out a new patch file.

            You say that you have also noticed sometimes that AQ does not appear to set the Family Tree value correctly. If you have specific examples of when this happens, I would like to see details about that situation.

            In Gina's case, this occurred when a place level was omitted. For example, if new.FamilySearch already had a date for an event, but did not have a place, and then you added an event like the following:

            29 Jun 1820, Mesa, , Arizona

            nFS, for whatever reason, would alter this to remove a space, and it would put

            29 Jun 1820, Mesa,, Arizona

            into the nFS database. When AQ then immediately tried to locate the value it had put into nFS, it couldn't find an exact match, so it didn't move this to Family Tree.

            The patched version will allow AQ to find the entry without the space in this instance, and move it to Family Tree.

            Also, another user notice another minor bug that was introduced recently dealing with Seal to Parents. If you see indications of a SP that does not have any parents from nFS, this patch will fix this problem.

            To download and install the patch, go to

            www.inclinesoftware.net/files/Latest.zip

            and extract the contents into your AQ program folder.

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 7 9:57 PM
              I'll follow up on this and watch for any instances of something not
              quite working when I Set Family Tree values. Generally speaking, I use
              the standard finder feature of Family Search to fully establish a
              place, so that there are no commas, as indicated in the sample below.
              The link to standard finder is
              https://familysearch.org/stdfinder/PlaceStandardLookup.jsp

              Tom