Re: [AQ_NFS] Merging in Family Tree with AQ

  • Terry Smith
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 2013
      Gordon....

      All attempts to merge/combine records in AQ have resulted in errors
      stating that they cannot be performed in Family Tree allthough I am
      only accessing nFS. So what's up? --- Terry

      On Sat, 2 Mar 2013 23:01:45 -0700 (MST), you wrote:

      >All:
      >
      >I wanted to make sure that you were all aware that AQ still helps you combine records in FamilySearch.
      >
      >At the request of FamilySearch, AQ no longer does an actual combine in NFS. Rather, if you go through the same processes in AQ to either Link records, or Search for Duplicates, and find duplicates in FamilySearch, you can still use the "Combine" button. When you do, AQ will not actually do a Combine, but rather it will bring up FamilySearch in your browser to the Merge screen, and will put the IDs of the two records that you have identified as duplicates. You will still have to complete the Merge process in Family Tree, but at least you were able to use the tools in AQ to determine the duplicates.
      >
      >Gaylon

    • Mary-Theresa Dameron
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3, 2013
        I tried this this morning, and AQ closes and opens Family Tree, but it does
        not put the ID's of the records, it leaves you on the main screen.

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 4, 2013
          Terry:

          Because FamilySearch is keeping nFS in sync with Family Tree, you are never "only accessing nFS." Almost anything you do to new.FamilySearch also affects Family Tree. As I understand it, if you are trying to Merge records in Family Tree that would cause an IOUS in new.FamilySearch, this will not be allowed at this time. I don't know all of the conditions required for FamilySearch to allow a merge/combine.

          It would be helpful if I could see some details about what actions result in these errors.

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 4, 2013
            Let me go through this more carefully. I tried this process again earlier today, and it seems to work fine for me. I think I somehow miscommunicated earlier, so let me be as clear as I can:

            1) Locate a record in the local file that needs to be linked to FS.

            2) Click on the gray FS icon on the Pedigree or Family view -- this will start the process of locating matches on FS.

            3) If you find at least two matching records in FS, you have a situation that will work here.

            4) Check the box in the Match column for the first matching record. The "Add" button will dim and the "Link" button will become active.

            5) Check the box in the Match column for the 2nd matching record. The "Link" button will change to the "Combine" button.

            6) Click the "Combine" button.

            Everything up till now is the same as in the past. I've gone into detail above, just to make sure everyone is on the same page with me. Here's the difference in build 8 from earlier versions:

            7) You'll get a message indicating that AQ will not do an actual "Combine", but that you should use "Merge" in Family Tree. This message will ask if you want to Merge the two records in Family Tree. If you click, "No", this message screen will go away, and the Link screen will still be there for you to take other action.

            8) But you'll want to click "Yes", so you can do the merge.

            9) AQ will send the IDs of the two FamilySearch records to Family Tree's Merge screen, and assuming that you will merge the records, the Link screen will close, requiring you to restart the screen after you have merged the records. This way, you'll be able to link to the merged record.

            If you are already logged into FamilySearch with your browser, you'll get to the Merge screen. If you are not yet logged in, first FamilySearch will require you to log in, and then you'll have to go through steps 2-8 again for that record. But if you stay logged in to FamilySearch with your browser and go through steps 1-9 above for additional records, you'll get to the Merge screen, ready to merge the two records.