Re: updating ordinances

  • ghfindlay
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 19, 2013
      I have taken some time to look into this. I found 3 things:

      1) The Update Ordinances function seems to work as designed.

      2) FamilySearch is starting to have some issues with dropping the communication between AQ and nFS. As a result, some things that in the past have run quickly, now often run slowly, or not at all. We have let FamilySearch know of our concern that they may have broken something recently. I have found that if a process such as updating ordinances seems to 'hang,' that you may need to wait a day and try again. Most of the time, things seem to work normally for me, but we are hearing from a few users of both AQ and nFS, that some processes which no longer complete on one day, will complete the next day.

      3) One of the safeguards in the design of the Update Ordinance function may lead a user to occasionally think that something didn't work. Here is an example:

      In FamilySearch, let's say that you have:

      Robert (AAA-BBBB) == Mary (CCC-DDDD)

      Robert Jr (EEE-FFFF)

      You also have a duplicate for Robert, such that there is also:

      Robert (GGG-HHHH) == Mary (CCC-DDDD)

      Robert Jr (EEE-FFFF)

      In the Temple records, Robert Jr is sealed to Robert (AAA-BBBB) and Mary (CCC-DDDD). But you have linked your copy of Robert Sr to (GGG-HHHH), and there is no sealing between this record of Robert Sr and Robert Jr.

      When AQ looks for Sealings -- whether spouse or child/parent -- it requires that the links are established correctly, otherwise it will assume that the sealing was not completed between the people in your file.

      I don't know whether this example was clear enough, but I hope it helps.

      In any case, the only time I saw in my testing, where a sealing was not transferred from the Temple System to AQ through the Update Ordinance feature, was when people were not linked correctly.

      If anyone has examples of where AQ fails to update an ordinance when linkages are correct, I would like for them to send me a backup of their database, and a note as to which people are not being updated.

      Gaylon

      --- In AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com, "S Douglas Cline" <clinesd@...> wrote:

      > Gaylon,
      >

      > I have not yet heard anything about the problem that I mentioned earlier and
      > that Tom Huber wrote to you about concerning the Ordinance Reservation and
      > Tracking Systems inability to update sealing ordinances through the Update
      > Ordinances function. I didn't know whether this as fallen "through the
      > cracks" or whether it's simply something that you're working on. Could you
      > please advise as to whether this is a problem or whether AQ was never meant
      > to update couple or child to parent sealings?
      >

      > Thanks in advance
      >

      > S Douglas Cline
      >
      > Cell: 801 560-2340

    • Tom Huber
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 19, 2013
        On Wed, 20 Feb 2013 01:03:28 -0000, you wrote:

        >If anyone has examples of where AQ fails to update an ordinance when
        linkages are correct, I would like for them to send me a backup of their
        database, and a note as to which people are not being updated.

        I have run into numerous instances where I run Update Ordinances and
        some very old ordinances are suddenly "found" and the records updated.
        I've always attributed these to continued updates of the data from
        previously non-included records.

        I have a very large database and several areas seem to fail to update
        as intended. One of them is after I've reserved a record, AQ puts in
        submitted (with date), but the Update Ordinances fails to Update from
        "Submitted (with date)" to "In process". Keep in mind that this may
        because I have not printed a FOR or had cards printed for the
        ordinances.

        I've also seen instances where I run the "Manage Batches", reconcile,
        and update all. I do not do anything with the Update or Update Local
        functions, but would rather leave it to Update Ordinances to handle.
        They don't always do the job and I can come back (after shutting down
        AQ, recycling the computer) and still see the fields with an asterisk,
        indicating that it needs to be updated with my local records.

        Because we are moving toward Family Tree, I haven't taken time to
        report the problem because I feel that working on some of these at
        this time may not be the best use of time. If I'm wrong, I'll do the
        research and report back privately with a copy of the database and
        also the PIDs and RINs of those impacted.

      • Sherry Burger
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 19, 2013
          Gaylon -

          I have been attempting to use this function to update ordinances of sealing
          to parent and spouse for months (perhaps 7 or 8). It has never worked. I
          don't feel this is a new thing..

          S. Burger

          --- In AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:AQ_NFS%40yahoogroups.com> , "S Douglas

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 21, 2013
            All:

            Over the last couple of weeks, we have heard that many of you are finding that AQ seems to hang a lot when working with nFS. Apparently, as FamilySearch is making changes toward implementing Family Tree, they broke something in nFS, causing AQ to hang while waiting for nFS to respond to AQ's requests for data.

            We have just put out a patch file that should fix this.

            The patch file also fixes a problem with AQ's new "Update Ordinances" feature not updating Sealings when the local database has "Submitted" or "In Progress" for the ordinance status.

            At the request of FamilySearch, we are disabling the "Combine" capability for FamilySearch records until we have the ability to Merge in Family Tree. This patch will disable the Combine.

            You can download the patch here:

            http://www.inclinesoftware.net/files/Latest.zip

            Extract the contents of this file into your AQ 14 program folder. If you successfully replace the old file, the date in the About screen of AQ will show 2/21/13.

            Gaylon
          • S Douglas Cline
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 22, 2013
              For those of us uncertain as to exactly how to extract the contents of the
              file INTO our AQ 14, could you give us detailed instructions?

              S Douglas Cline

              Brown & Young Companies

              Cell: 801 560-2340

              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 22, 2013
                For Windows 7 users, the path to the AQ14 programs is:
                C:\Program Files (x86)\Incline Software\Ancestral Quest 14

                For other systems, you may find the path under:
                C:\Program Files\Incline Software\Ancestral Quest 14

                This is where you want to _save_ the downloaded file. Then unpack the
                file (Most windows systems include the ability) to the same directory.
                In some systems, you will need to provide adminstrator authority (for
                both saving and unpacking/overwriting the files).

                After you've unpacked the software, start AQ. Go to Help... About
                Ancestral Quest... and look at the date at the top of the window that
                opens. If you did unpacked the patch correctly, you will see the
                2/21/2013 date.

                On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 11:19:51 -0700, you wrote:

                >For those of us uncertain as to exactly how to extract the contents of the
                >file INTO our AQ 14, could you give us detailed instructions?
                >

                >S Douglas Cline
                >
                >Brown & Young Companies
                >
                >Cell: 801 560-2340

              • S Douglas Cline
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 22, 2013
                  For those of you wondering, there should be two files found in Gaylon's
                  link. The first is AncQuest and the other is AQ.1033Lng. Simply highlight
                  the files, right click, copy and then paste them in your AQ14 folder. You
                  will receive a message to copy and replace each file. Select copy and
                  replace and you should be fine. However, you virus software may not
                  recognize your AQ now that you have the new files installed since they
                  weren't installed through an AQ update. In this case uncheck the box in the
                  virus checker to not ask the question each time that AQ is initialized.

                  Hope this helps.

                  S Douglas Cline

                  Brown & Young Companies

                  Cell: 801 560-2340