Re: [AQ_NFS] AQ crashes

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 4, 2013
      Hal:

      The first thing you should try is to download the latest build of AQ 14. Even if you don't want to purchase an updated registration key for AQ 14, all of the features that you are currently using in AQ 12.1 will still work for you in AQ 14.

      FamilySearch has changed some things about the way AQ "talks" to nFS, and the newer version has adjusted for some of these changes. Your older AQ 12.1 does not have these changes.

      Each time that AQ starts, it provides you with a "Newsline" window, which has two purposes:

      1) Let you know whether you are up to date, and if not, it provides a link to download the latest version of AQ -- please follow this link.

      2) Provide you with other information we feel is important to share with you. If you haven't watched the two new videos that are currently mentioned on the Newsline window, you might consider watching them. If I remember correctly, the first segment of the first video, which teaches about the new features in AQ 14, also helps to clarify how you can use AQ 14 with a version 12 key.

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 6, 2013
        It should be noted that you cannot "unmerge" (split) combined records
        in newFamilySearch. This is also not functional in Family Tree.

        If you have a record that needs to be split, the only way it can be
        done currently is to open a case with FamilySearch.org and indicate
        the persons (including their PIDs) involved.

        You should not attempt this, except in the case where two separate
        people were combined into the same record and each likely has
        ordinance work that has been done. I have one such case open right now
        to take care of this problem: There are only two people, one with
        three records and other with six, that need to be split. They were
        sisters married to the same husband, and have similar given names.
        Because the combined records were created in newFamilySearch, the
        Family Tree instructions for splitting records do not apply.

        If you have an ancestor with many, many combined records, then use
        Family Tree to indicate which data is valid and why. You can delete
        duplicate data as well, thus cleaning up the record in Family Tree.
        Actions of this nature are not reflected back through to
        newFamilySearch. You can also select which vital information (name,
        dates of birth and death, and where buried) is correct through
        Ancestral Quest.

        Because Family Tree is still in the process of development, you can
        expect the situation to change from time to time, but I thought I
        would pass on what I've discovered as of this date.

        Tom
      • RonaldT
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 7, 2013
          Although FamilySearch has disabled the record separation function in the NFS Web interface, the Application Program Interface (API) still works. FamilyInsight and/or Ancestor Split (both from Ohana Software) still can be used to separate improperly combined NFS records. Record separation in NFS is reflected in FamilyTree.