Re: [AQ_NFS] AQ crashes

  • Miles Meyer
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 4, 2013
      Gaylon, I also have been seeing frequent crashes with the current build of
      AQ. My circumstances are different than Hal's. I see the crash when I sort
      the children in order of age. Once I have ordered the children and hit ok
      the program gives me the "AQ has stopped working" error and shuts down.
      When I restart it the sorting has been accomplished successfully. I am
      using Win 7 as my OS.

      Miles Meyer

      Miles Meyer

      "We're in a giant car heading toward a brick wall and everyone's arguing
      over where they're going to sit." -- David Suzuki

      On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 3:29 PM, Hal Bradley <hw.bradley@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Gaylon,
      >
      > I keep trying to prepare names for the temple but after linking one or two
      > names successfully to NFS, the program then says "AQ has stopped working"
      > and it shuts down. I am running 12.1.34 on Windows Vista. I have never had
      > this problem before. I rebuilt my database and ran error check and it still
      > crashes. Please help.
      >
      > Thank you.
      >
      > Hal Bradley

    • leslievaughn2nd
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 4, 2013
        I get crashes only when sorting children or spouses.

        I am also using W7 and AQ 14.00.7

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 4, 2013
          Others have also reported the problem with sporadic crashes when sorting children. Unfortunately, this is so random that we haven't been able to identify what is causing it yet. We'll continue to keep our eye open for the underlying cause of the problem. Some users have sent in all that we normally need to recreate and solve the problem, but this seems to be related to something on the computer, as we haven't yet been able to duplicate the problem on our machines.

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 4, 2013
            Hal:

            The first thing you should try is to download the latest build of AQ 14. Even if you don't want to purchase an updated registration key for AQ 14, all of the features that you are currently using in AQ 12.1 will still work for you in AQ 14.

            FamilySearch has changed some things about the way AQ "talks" to nFS, and the newer version has adjusted for some of these changes. Your older AQ 12.1 does not have these changes.

            Each time that AQ starts, it provides you with a "Newsline" window, which has two purposes:

            1) Let you know whether you are up to date, and if not, it provides a link to download the latest version of AQ -- please follow this link.

            2) Provide you with other information we feel is important to share with you. If you haven't watched the two new videos that are currently mentioned on the Newsline window, you might consider watching them. If I remember correctly, the first segment of the first video, which teaches about the new features in AQ 14, also helps to clarify how you can use AQ 14 with a version 12 key.

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 6, 2013
              It should be noted that you cannot "unmerge" (split) combined records
              in newFamilySearch. This is also not functional in Family Tree.

              If you have a record that needs to be split, the only way it can be
              done currently is to open a case with FamilySearch.org and indicate
              the persons (including their PIDs) involved.

              You should not attempt this, except in the case where two separate
              people were combined into the same record and each likely has
              ordinance work that has been done. I have one such case open right now
              to take care of this problem: There are only two people, one with
              three records and other with six, that need to be split. They were
              sisters married to the same husband, and have similar given names.
              Because the combined records were created in newFamilySearch, the
              Family Tree instructions for splitting records do not apply.

              If you have an ancestor with many, many combined records, then use
              Family Tree to indicate which data is valid and why. You can delete
              duplicate data as well, thus cleaning up the record in Family Tree.
              Actions of this nature are not reflected back through to
              newFamilySearch. You can also select which vital information (name,
              dates of birth and death, and where buried) is correct through
              Ancestral Quest.

              Because Family Tree is still in the process of development, you can
              expect the situation to change from time to time, but I thought I
              would pass on what I've discovered as of this date.

              Tom
            • RonaldT
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 7, 2013
                Although FamilySearch has disabled the record separation function in the NFS Web interface, the Application Program Interface (API) still works. FamilyInsight and/or Ancestor Split (both from Ohana Software) still can be used to separate improperly combined NFS records. Record separation in NFS is reflected in FamilyTree.