Re: [AQ_NFS] Sync screen

    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 14, 2009
      Scott:

      But what if you first choose to Replace Local Event, so the little green
      arrow indicates that your local event will be replaced. Then you change
      your mind and want to leave your local data as it is. In this case you
      need a way to tell AQ to NOT replace the local event. So the option is
      there to set the item back to "No Action". If you were only working with
      one event, you could "Cancel" out of the sync screen, but if you have
      already decided to sync several other pieces of data, you don't want to
      cancel the entire screen just to reset this one value. You really do
      need the ability to set a selection back to "No Action."

      Again this screen doesn't presume to have AI (Artificial Intelligence)
      by showing you the next likely action to take, it shows you the current
      setting, and lets you change the setting. (As you pointed out, it does
      use some AI when there is only one option.)

      I tend to agree with the general premise that most of the time you would
      want the checkbox to simply toggle between the states of "Replace Local"
      and "No Action" without bringing up the box. But for those few times
      when you might want to do something else, the options have to be
      presented, and then there's even a stickier issue. What if you have
      recorded 3 birth events in your PAF or AQ file? And you now want to
      "Replace". Which of the 3 do you replace? The current screen provides a
      list box of all the local birth events so you can choose one. Granted,
      99.9% of the time, there is only one birth event, so this feels like too
      many choices most of the time.

      Right now we're focusing on getting the Ordinance Reservation and
      Tracking System out the door. Once this is completed, we may revisit
      this issue and find a way to make it simpler most of the time, without
      losing the ability to handle even the tough issues.

      Gaylon

    • register
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 14, 2009
        I want to compliment Gaylon for his approach to artificial intelligence in
        the second paragraph. I have reviewed several genealogical programs and
        have been appalled by the way some of them do what they think I want -
        giving me no chance to interfere. These programs know what is best for me
        and they do it. One of the strengths of AQ, in my opinion, is that we are
        allowed to make decisions ourselves. The flexibility this provides is
        important to me.

        Eric

        Scott Scheibe wrote:
> [...]
        >> "Replace". But a Ctrl+Click would bring up the current screen which lets
        >> you choose between 4 options. The problem with this is, that it wouldn't
        >> be intuitive -- you'd only learn about it if you read the help file
        >> thoroughly before you start using the program. And nobody does that.
        >>
        >> Gaylon
        >>

        >> Scott Scheibe wrote:
        >>
        >>> At 03:09 PM 7/12/2009, Gunilla Manell wrote:
        >>>

        >>> That and access notes as well the first time is highly needed. There
        >>> is too many steps every where and the review screen ctrl E should
        >>> work there just like it does when you have a person selected from the
        >>> family view or pedigree view. Also it would be nice when you click
        >>> on some data the default would be to add it, not "no action".. You
        >>> have to click two or three things to get about anything done, it is

        Blog