Re: [AQ_NFS] Family tree

  • tomhuber.yah@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2013
      Leslie's response is as good as any for the cremation situation. Even
      if you don't have a date, you should probably add the cremation event
      and the best location you can possibly have.

      As to setting the values from AQ, if AQ will not allow you to set
      them, I would go into newFamilySearch (not FSFT) to see if the record
      is locked. It is entirely possible that you've run across one of those
      records that members continue to attempt to do work for -- I have one
      in my ancestry, a famous person -- and to prevent on-going ordinances
      from being performed, the Family History department has locked the
      record.

      However, if that is not the case (that the record is locked), then go
      into FSFT and examine the record. If nothing appears to be amiss,
      double check the function in AQ and if the system will still not allow
      you to establish the setting, send a private note to Gaylon, along
      with a copy of the AQ backup of your file, indicating the ID of the
      person you're having problems changing.

      Oh, and one other thing: If the person is or could be living, and you
      don't have a death date, that may impact the program's ability to make
      changes from the LDS side if you have not established that they are
      deceased.

      Personally, I've never run into this situation and I've looked at
      thousands of records.

      On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 22:12:50 -0700, you wrote:

      >couple questions.
      >
      >I can Set family tree on some people and not others because it is
      >grayed out to save it and I don't see a reason why, all the values
      >have *next to them. I could not do my grandparents but could do some
      >people from the late 1700's..
      >
      >What do you do with burial if the person was cremated?
      >

      >Scott Scheibe
      >dsscheibe@...
      ><http://scottsworld.info/genealogy/index.php>
      >

      >Descendants of Capt. Henry WOODWARD
      ><http://woodward.scottsworld.info/>

    • Tom Huber
      Message 2 of 6 , May 31, 2013
        Hi all,

        Do we have any information when there will be a release of AQ that
        will work directly with Family Tree, instead of through
        NewFamilySearch?

        I happened to be preparing for a class on Family Tree in our H.P.
        group this Sunday and clicked on the link in Chapter 8 to see those
        sites that can be used with Family Tree. It opened to the page of
        affiliate programs and I noticed that RootsMagic is now certified with
        FT _and_ "can compare and reconcile all data in both Family Tree and
        the product." (Share status)

        Right now, AQ is only certified with NFS.

        I did note that there is a classification in which the product "has
        the features of Share plus the collaborative features including
        Discussions, Sources, Watch and Change History."

        I'm wondering if Gaylon is waiting to get that certification or what.
        I know that I would appreciate having more control over what I see,
        since much of what we do in FT does not reflect back through NFS and
        AQs screens.

        Thanks,

        Message 3 of 6 , May 31, 2013
          Tom:

          You are in good company with a lot of users who wonder when AQ will be certified with Family Tree.

          We don't have an absolute date yet, but it is getting close. Back here in our development lab, we already have completed a lot of the work that needs to be done. But it's not quite ready to have you work with it.

          In the meantime, what you do in AQ now, that adjusts data in New.FamilySearch, is being mirrored in Family Tree. So you are doing effective work.

          Please be aware of three things:

          1) Because nFS has more opinions than Family Tree (FT), you will get better results when doing matches now than you will get when we make the switch-over. (When the data was moved from nFS to FT, sometimes the correct data was moved, and sometimes incorrect data was moved. For ancestors who have incorrect data, they won't match your queries as well in FT as they did in nFS.)

          2) If you want to move any of these 4 events from your personal file to the FamilySearch system: Birth, Christening, Death or Burial; please use the "Set Family Tree" button on the "Review with FamilySearch" screen, rather than simply checking the boxes next to the items in the "Review" screen. This will make sure that these 4 event types go both to nFS and to FT.

          3) Some parts of the communication between AQ and FamilySearch do not need to be changed. For example, reserving and tracking LDS ordinances will stay the same.

          Message 4 of 6 , May 31, 2013
            Thanks for the update, Gaylon. I appreciate it and look forward to the
            day when AQ works directly with FT. In the meantime, I'm adjusting the
            FT settings from AQ to match what I have. In some cases, I'm opening
            FT and adding sources (per the FT instructions of 10 May 2013).

            Thanks again,

            Tom