RE: [AQ_NFS] Family tree

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2013
      I can't answer your first and probably more pressing question, but unless
      the ashes were buried, I leave that field blank and put in the notes of my
      software program that a cremation occurred and when or when and where the
      funeral occurred.

      In my program (Ancestral Quest) under Other Events, you click the Add button
      and there are a host of events to choose from and one of them is cremation.
      In PAF you go around it a different way, but there is also cremation in that
      event.

      In Family Tree on Family search, when you are looking at the person, you
      will see Vital Information that you can open or leave closed. Under that is
      Other information. Open that and you will see an add button, click on it
      and you will see a large menu of events. One of those is cremation. It
      asks for the date of cremation and the place and an explanation of why you
      think that is correct.

      I recently lost some family members who were cremated. I don't know the day
      that they actually burned the bodies, but it was a few days after the
      funeral. The ashes were divided among family members and disposed of in
      wildly various places. A few months later another family member died and
      there was an autopsy that took some time before the body was released to the
      funeral home. I don't know the date of that cremation either. There was no
      funeral at the request of the family. Friends, family and neighbors
      gathered a month or so later at the home and had a potluck dinner to visit
      and encourage the spouse. I am at a loss as to what if anything I should
      put for this situation.

      Leslie Vaughn

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2013
        Leslie's response is as good as any for the cremation situation. Even
        if you don't have a date, you should probably add the cremation event
        and the best location you can possibly have.

        As to setting the values from AQ, if AQ will not allow you to set
        them, I would go into newFamilySearch (not FSFT) to see if the record
        is locked. It is entirely possible that you've run across one of those
        records that members continue to attempt to do work for -- I have one
        in my ancestry, a famous person -- and to prevent on-going ordinances
        from being performed, the Family History department has locked the
        record.

        However, if that is not the case (that the record is locked), then go
        into FSFT and examine the record. If nothing appears to be amiss,
        double check the function in AQ and if the system will still not allow
        you to establish the setting, send a private note to Gaylon, along
        with a copy of the AQ backup of your file, indicating the ID of the
        person you're having problems changing.

        Oh, and one other thing: If the person is or could be living, and you
        don't have a death date, that may impact the program's ability to make
        changes from the LDS side if you have not established that they are
        deceased.

        Personally, I've never run into this situation and I've looked at
        thousands of records.

        Message 3 of 6 , May 31, 2013
          Hi all,

          Do we have any information when there will be a release of AQ that
          will work directly with Family Tree, instead of through
          NewFamilySearch?

          I happened to be preparing for a class on Family Tree in our H.P.
          group this Sunday and clicked on the link in Chapter 8 to see those
          sites that can be used with Family Tree. It opened to the page of
          affiliate programs and I noticed that RootsMagic is now certified with
          FT _and_ "can compare and reconcile all data in both Family Tree and
          the product." (Share status)

          Right now, AQ is only certified with NFS.

          I did note that there is a classification in which the product "has
          the features of Share plus the collaborative features including
          Discussions, Sources, Watch and Change History."

          I'm wondering if Gaylon is waiting to get that certification or what.
          I know that I would appreciate having more control over what I see,
          since much of what we do in FT does not reflect back through NFS and
          AQs screens.

          Thanks,

          Message 4 of 6 , May 31, 2013
            Tom:

            You are in good company with a lot of users who wonder when AQ will be certified with Family Tree.

            We don't have an absolute date yet, but it is getting close. Back here in our development lab, we already have completed a lot of the work that needs to be done. But it's not quite ready to have you work with it.

            In the meantime, what you do in AQ now, that adjusts data in New.FamilySearch, is being mirrored in Family Tree. So you are doing effective work.

            Please be aware of three things:

            1) Because nFS has more opinions than Family Tree (FT), you will get better results when doing matches now than you will get when we make the switch-over. (When the data was moved from nFS to FT, sometimes the correct data was moved, and sometimes incorrect data was moved. For ancestors who have incorrect data, they won't match your queries as well in FT as they did in nFS.)

            2) If you want to move any of these 4 events from your personal file to the FamilySearch system: Birth, Christening, Death or Burial; please use the "Set Family Tree" button on the "Review with FamilySearch" screen, rather than simply checking the boxes next to the items in the "Review" screen. This will make sure that these 4 event types go both to nFS and to FT.

            3) Some parts of the communication between AQ and FamilySearch do not need to be changed. For example, reserving and tracking LDS ordinances will stay the same.

            Message 5 of 6 , May 31, 2013
              Thanks for the update, Gaylon. I appreciate it and look forward to the
              day when AQ works directly with FT. In the meantime, I'm adjusting the
              FT settings from AQ to match what I have. In some cases, I'm opening
              FT and adding sources (per the FT instructions of 10 May 2013).

              Thanks again,

              Tom