Family tree

  • Scott Scheibe
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2013
      couple questions.

      I can Set family tree on some people and not others because it is
      grayed out to save it and I don't see a reason why, all the values
      have *next to them. I could not do my grandparents but could do some
      people from the late 1700's..

      What do you do with burial if the person was cremated?

      Scott Scheibe
      dsscheibe@...
      <http://scottsworld.info/genealogy/index.php>

      Descendants of Capt. Henry WOODWARD
      <http://woodward.scottsworld.info/>
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2013
        I can't answer your first and probably more pressing question, but unless
        the ashes were buried, I leave that field blank and put in the notes of my
        software program that a cremation occurred and when or when and where the
        funeral occurred.

        In my program (Ancestral Quest) under Other Events, you click the Add button
        and there are a host of events to choose from and one of them is cremation.
        In PAF you go around it a different way, but there is also cremation in that
        event.

        In Family Tree on Family search, when you are looking at the person, you
        will see Vital Information that you can open or leave closed. Under that is
        Other information. Open that and you will see an add button, click on it
        and you will see a large menu of events. One of those is cremation. It
        asks for the date of cremation and the place and an explanation of why you
        think that is correct.

        I recently lost some family members who were cremated. I don't know the day
        that they actually burned the bodies, but it was a few days after the
        funeral. The ashes were divided among family members and disposed of in
        wildly various places. A few months later another family member died and
        there was an autopsy that took some time before the body was released to the
        funeral home. I don't know the date of that cremation either. There was no
        funeral at the request of the family. Friends, family and neighbors
        gathered a month or so later at the home and had a potluck dinner to visit
        and encourage the spouse. I am at a loss as to what if anything I should
        put for this situation.

        Leslie Vaughn

        dsscheibe@... <mailto:dsscheibe%40earthlink.net>

      • tomhuber.yah@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2013
          Leslie's response is as good as any for the cremation situation. Even
          if you don't have a date, you should probably add the cremation event
          and the best location you can possibly have.

          As to setting the values from AQ, if AQ will not allow you to set
          them, I would go into newFamilySearch (not FSFT) to see if the record
          is locked. It is entirely possible that you've run across one of those
          records that members continue to attempt to do work for -- I have one
          in my ancestry, a famous person -- and to prevent on-going ordinances
          from being performed, the Family History department has locked the
          record.

          However, if that is not the case (that the record is locked), then go
          into FSFT and examine the record. If nothing appears to be amiss,
          double check the function in AQ and if the system will still not allow
          you to establish the setting, send a private note to Gaylon, along
          with a copy of the AQ backup of your file, indicating the ID of the
          person you're having problems changing.

          Oh, and one other thing: If the person is or could be living, and you
          don't have a death date, that may impact the program's ability to make
          changes from the LDS side if you have not established that they are
          deceased.

          Personally, I've never run into this situation and I've looked at
          thousands of records.

          On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 22:12:50 -0700, you wrote:

          >couple questions.
          >
          >I can Set family tree on some people and not others because it is
          >grayed out to save it and I don't see a reason why, all the values
          >have *next to them. I could not do my grandparents but could do some
          >people from the late 1700's..
          >
          >What do you do with burial if the person was cremated?
          >

          >Scott Scheibe
          >dsscheibe@...
          ><http://scottsworld.info/genealogy/index.php>
          >

          >Descendants of Capt. Henry WOODWARD
          ><http://woodward.scottsworld.info/>

        • Tom Huber
          Message 4 of 6 , May 31 4:07 PM
            Hi all,

            Do we have any information when there will be a release of AQ that
            will work directly with Family Tree, instead of through
            NewFamilySearch?

            I happened to be preparing for a class on Family Tree in our H.P.
            group this Sunday and clicked on the link in Chapter 8 to see those
            sites that can be used with Family Tree. It opened to the page of
            affiliate programs and I noticed that RootsMagic is now certified with
            FT _and_ "can compare and reconcile all data in both Family Tree and
            the product." (Share status)

            Right now, AQ is only certified with NFS.

            I did note that there is a classification in which the product "has
            the features of Share plus the collaborative features including
            Discussions, Sources, Watch and Change History."

            I'm wondering if Gaylon is waiting to get that certification or what.
            I know that I would appreciate having more control over what I see,
            since much of what we do in FT does not reflect back through NFS and
            AQs screens.

            Thanks,

            Message 5 of 6 , May 31 5:07 PM
              Tom:

              You are in good company with a lot of users who wonder when AQ will be certified with Family Tree.

              We don't have an absolute date yet, but it is getting close. Back here in our development lab, we already have completed a lot of the work that needs to be done. But it's not quite ready to have you work with it.

              In the meantime, what you do in AQ now, that adjusts data in New.FamilySearch, is being mirrored in Family Tree. So you are doing effective work.

              Please be aware of three things:

              1) Because nFS has more opinions than Family Tree (FT), you will get better results when doing matches now than you will get when we make the switch-over. (When the data was moved from nFS to FT, sometimes the correct data was moved, and sometimes incorrect data was moved. For ancestors who have incorrect data, they won't match your queries as well in FT as they did in nFS.)

              2) If you want to move any of these 4 events from your personal file to the FamilySearch system: Birth, Christening, Death or Burial; please use the "Set Family Tree" button on the "Review with FamilySearch" screen, rather than simply checking the boxes next to the items in the "Review" screen. This will make sure that these 4 event types go both to nFS and to FT.

              3) Some parts of the communication between AQ and FamilySearch do not need to be changed. For example, reserving and tracking LDS ordinances will stay the same.

              Message 6 of 6 , May 31 5:33 PM
                Thanks for the update, Gaylon. I appreciate it and look forward to the
                day when AQ works directly with FT. In the meantime, I'm adjusting the
                FT settings from AQ to match what I have. In some cases, I'm opening
                FT and adding sources (per the FT instructions of 10 May 2013).

                Thanks again,

                Tom