Re: Not needed does not show.

  • Allan H
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 8, 2012
      THANK YOU. I will try that!!

      --- In AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com, "Leslie Vaughn" <Leslievaughn@...> wrote:

      > Allan, I had this puzzle until I was reviewing them side by side with AQ. I
      > noticed that the death date of the child was not in Bold lettering on the
      > right side of the page( the side of the nfs information) You need to click
      > on the button that says set family tree and I'll bet that you will see no
      > date in the date field in the box that pops up. Us the arrow in the box
      > beside the death date and choose the date that is there but is not in bold.
      > Once you have done that and then clicked the box that says Set Family Tree
      > Values on Family Search, that will change it to bold and should change the
      > ordinance information to not needed.
      >

      > Leslie Vaughn

    • Linda Smith
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 9, 2012
        Obviously, there are things not working properly in Family Tree, yet! I have
        been working with it extensively for almost a year. It is a much better site
        than nFS. Here are some of the work-arounds I have found to help get through
        the changes:

        Things that show improperly
        Often if you make a change in the summary, even if the correct things are
        already showing, it forces the system to make changes, then you can change
        them back and things then show properly. "Not needed" is one of those. The
        summary needs to show a death date less than 8 years after birth. If it
        already shows, change it to something else and then change it back. That
        usually unsticks the program and the "Not needed" shows.

        Combining/Separating vs Merging/Unmerging
        You cannot combine or separate in nFS, except when you use a 3rd party
        program. Merge and Unmerge are a far superior way of putting together
        duplicates and allows anyone to unmerge and make corrections without losing
        data. However, those records combined in nFS cannot be unmerged in FT.
        Occasionally I find that the merge is not working correctly and I have
        impatiently used AQ, only later to find that it did work in FT, but it was
        slow to show or said it did not when it really did. (A problem that seems to
        be getting better.) The real frustration is separating combined records and
        for this I use the Ancestral Split in Family Insight. It works well and
        reads AQ files. The less we combine in nFS the fewer records will have
        problems in FT.

        I still use AQ for adding information and updating the summary, but always
        check the results in FT. Most of the time everything gets into FT the way I
        want and I don't need to make a lot a changes. I really don't care what
        shows in nFS, as it is going away.

        I have learned that I need to be patient when something doesn't work in FT.
        Often an hour later everything will have updated and look just fine or will
        start working. I just work on something else. The engineers are working
        tirelessly to fix things and sometimes when they are making changes, it
        slows the whole system down. Kinda of like being on a freeway under
        construction during rush hour.

        Hope this helps someone.

        LindaSmith ID

      • Jim Pitt 48
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 10, 2012
          Hi Linda

          Thanks for the explanation. From one who has been away from their tree for a few years, and finds all of the situations listed below having ocurred whilst they were away, your analysis will be of great help.

          Now that I am back in the fold I am amazed just how much technology has moved on. I think all concerned deserve a vote of thanks for making our pursuit of our ancestors so much easier. To think it was only a generation ago (25 yrs?) that all this was in its infancy is amazing. Anyone fancy predicting where it will be a generation form now?

          Jim Pitt
          Wiltshire, England, UK
          jim.pitt48@...

          Researching
          PITT, HARRISON, CLAY, CLINTON, WALLINGTON, FLELLO, EDWARDS, SCOTT, BODENHAM, GARRETT all Gloucestershire, Worcestershire, Herefordshire, Warwickshire
          HARPER, HART, COATES, MOTTS, SMITH, LONG, CARD, EASTO, BRYANT, MASON, REDIT, STOLLERY, WOODS all Suffolk.
          HICKMAN in London, Staffordshire
          GOUGH, KELLY in Co Mayo, Ireland