Re: Not needed does not show.

  • Allan H
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 8, 2012
      That was the goal of the post!!! Thank you and I do the same thing.

      --- In AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com, tomhuber.yah@... wrote:

      > I've already mentioned this to Gaylon privately that the sync function
      > needs to pick up the "Not Needed." In the meantime, I sync the
      > individual to open them from AQ in FS and manually select the
      > ordinances to transfer them.
      >
      > Tom
      >
      > On Sat, 08 Dec 2012 02:53:46 -0000, you wrote:
      >
      > >I have several persons in AQ/NFS/FT that show ordinances Not Needed on nfs or Ft but when I sync and there are dates listed for the ordinances the dates show but Not Needed does not show on the Review and Selectively Sync window. The child died before 8 and the birth/death dates show that.
      > >This should show the Not Needed which should be selectable

    • Allan H
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 8, 2012
        THANK YOU. I will try that!!

        --- In AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com, "Leslie Vaughn" <Leslievaughn@...> wrote:

        > Allan, I had this puzzle until I was reviewing them side by side with AQ. I
        > noticed that the death date of the child was not in Bold lettering on the
        > right side of the page( the side of the nfs information) You need to click
        > on the button that says set family tree and I'll bet that you will see no
        > date in the date field in the box that pops up. Us the arrow in the box
        > beside the death date and choose the date that is there but is not in bold.
        > Once you have done that and then clicked the box that says Set Family Tree
        > Values on Family Search, that will change it to bold and should change the
        > ordinance information to not needed.
        >

        > Leslie Vaughn

      • Linda Smith
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 9, 2012
          Obviously, there are things not working properly in Family Tree, yet! I have
          been working with it extensively for almost a year. It is a much better site
          than nFS. Here are some of the work-arounds I have found to help get through
          the changes:

          Things that show improperly
          Often if you make a change in the summary, even if the correct things are
          already showing, it forces the system to make changes, then you can change
          them back and things then show properly. "Not needed" is one of those. The
          summary needs to show a death date less than 8 years after birth. If it
          already shows, change it to something else and then change it back. That
          usually unsticks the program and the "Not needed" shows.

          Combining/Separating vs Merging/Unmerging
          You cannot combine or separate in nFS, except when you use a 3rd party
          program. Merge and Unmerge are a far superior way of putting together
          duplicates and allows anyone to unmerge and make corrections without losing
          data. However, those records combined in nFS cannot be unmerged in FT.
          Occasionally I find that the merge is not working correctly and I have
          impatiently used AQ, only later to find that it did work in FT, but it was
          slow to show or said it did not when it really did. (A problem that seems to
          be getting better.) The real frustration is separating combined records and
          for this I use the Ancestral Split in Family Insight. It works well and
          reads AQ files. The less we combine in nFS the fewer records will have
          problems in FT.

          I still use AQ for adding information and updating the summary, but always
          check the results in FT. Most of the time everything gets into FT the way I
          want and I don't need to make a lot a changes. I really don't care what
          shows in nFS, as it is going away.

          I have learned that I need to be patient when something doesn't work in FT.
          Often an hour later everything will have updated and look just fine or will
          start working. I just work on something else. The engineers are working
          tirelessly to fix things and sometimes when they are making changes, it
          slows the whole system down. Kinda of like being on a freeway under
          construction during rush hour.

          Hope this helps someone.

          LindaSmith ID

        • Jim Pitt 48
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 10, 2012
            Hi Linda

            Thanks for the explanation. From one who has been away from their tree for a few years, and finds all of the situations listed below having ocurred whilst they were away, your analysis will be of great help.

            Now that I am back in the fold I am amazed just how much technology has moved on. I think all concerned deserve a vote of thanks for making our pursuit of our ancestors so much easier. To think it was only a generation ago (25 yrs?) that all this was in its infancy is amazing. Anyone fancy predicting where it will be a generation form now?

            Jim Pitt
            Wiltshire, England, UK
            jim.pitt48@...

            Researching
            PITT, HARRISON, CLAY, CLINTON, WALLINGTON, FLELLO, EDWARDS, SCOTT, BODENHAM, GARRETT all Gloucestershire, Worcestershire, Herefordshire, Warwickshire
            HARPER, HART, COATES, MOTTS, SMITH, LONG, CARD, EASTO, BRYANT, MASON, REDIT, STOLLERY, WOODS all Suffolk.
            HICKMAN in London, Staffordshire
            GOUGH, KELLY in Co Mayo, Ireland