RE: [AQ_NFS] syncing FT and nFS

  • Mary-Theresa Dameron
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
      Thanks for all your replies. The Quaker records I am working on need a lot
      of work according the current AQ interface - be interesting to see what
      happens when AQ is linked to Family Tree.

      Mary-Theresa

    • tomhuber.yah@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
        The only thing that AQ doesn't handle is unmerging previously-merged
        records. It can be used to establish the "visible" records and it is
        very good at merging records.

        But for "unmerging" incorrectly merged records, you'll need to use
        Family Tree for that. For correcting such mistakes as wrong gender,
        you'll need to open a ticket via FamilySearch help. Make sure you
        provide all the required information (FS ID, name, relationships,
        etc., and proof that the person has had the wrong gender applied.)

        One last thing: FS is continuing to work on its documentation. Make
        sure you always are using the latest version for the "how to"
        instructions.

        Tom

        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 8, 2012
          I just use AQ yesterday to combine one complete family. As Bill said, relationships did not transfer for most of them. Had to go fishing in FT to get them linked.

          As for not being able to separate incorrectly combined records -  nFS Has this to say about how to do it.

          "The combine and separate features are being turned off because Family Tree is now available.
          Family Tree handles duplicate records in a new, improved way that is incompatible with new.familysearch.org.
          If you need to deal with duplicate records or fix an incorrectly combined record, copy the person's name and person
          identifier. Then use that information to find the person in Family Tree.
          From there, you can resolve duplicate records or make the needed  corrections."

          Maybe I am wrong, but I believe the old records not moved to FT and will all be deleted, so there is no need to worry about data that had not transferred. What ends up on FT being the only thing to survive, and we are to work with what is there to correct the data for our line - if this is done through FT or AQ, it is up to the individual doing the work.

          There are very few records in my line that have possible duplicates, so I haven't had to manage any incorrectly combined record. Unless the example mentioned next counts as an example.

          I have come upon a man married to two women named Mary (each with their own IDs), and his children split between the two women. One had another husband and family, so when I took the children that belonged to the other Mary off her file, and put them with the right couple, all I then had to do was delete the unwanted marriage, and everything was fine, both Marys had their right husbands and children. (Except there were children missing from my family since the relationship didn't work from AQ, as stated at the top of this message.)

          I did run into a couple that gave a list of one or two duplicates to
          check. You could mark the data you wanted to use from each file, and it
          would merge. I have not seen any way to fix incorrectly combined record other than to just remove data that wasn't right, and add new data in
          its place. Maybe that is what they mean by fixing wrongly merged
          individuals. ??? Have to do a bit more searching the help files. :-)

          From: Bill Buchanan <genealogistbuchanan@...>
          To: AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com

          Actually the two sites are still linked and there is some exchange of
          information. Names, dates and places are communicated, but not necessarily
          relationships. The biggest problem is probably combined records, which
          cannot be separated in FT.

        • tomhuber.yah@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 8, 2012
            On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 08:14:13 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

            >its place. Maybe that is what they mean by fixing wrongly merged
            >individuals. ??? Have to do a bit more searching the help files. :-)

            Wrongly merged individuals often include a child merged with a
            grandparent, creating an impossible loop. That has happened far too
            often because merging in nFS was sometimes done without considering
            who was being merged, only that the names were the same.