RE: [AQ_NFS] syncing FT and nFS

  • mkitchen@juno.com
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
      For your information, using Ancestral Quest to "combine" followed by a selection of the Summary values accomplishes the same thing as a merge in Family Tree. It also gets on the change-log as a merge which you or others can do an unmerge if needed.

      So, for all intents and purposes, in using AQ, you are actually doing a merge.

      At the moment, AQ is much better at finding duplicates than is Family Tree.

      FamilySearch has told Incline Software that they will keep the old methodology running until they tell him to start using new methods.

      My advice: use the sandbox website (beta.familysearch.org) and practice a few merges and unmerges.

      As always, make sure that your are combining or merging records that are truly duplicates and not just people of the same name.

      In my estimation, a much bigger problem is records that previously have been improperly combined. With AQ, you can better see that problem. The other day, I helped a patron where four sisters had been combined into one record (Bessie, Essie, Dessie, and Mary!)
      In my own work, just this week, I found a record where a Homer J. Beck, b. 1902 in Arkansas was combined with a Homer C. Beck, b. 1890 in Kentucky. Looking at the person in AQ showed the different birth dates and places and gave a strong hint of an improper combining.
      When records are improperly combined in new.familySearch, it migrates to Family Tree as only one person.

      So: KEEP ON USING AQ!

      Merlin Kitchen

      Please note: message attached

      From: <stew999@...>
      To: <AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: RE: [AQ_NFS] syncing FT and nFS
      Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 21:02:41 -0000

    • Bill Buchanan
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
        Actually the two sites are still linked and there is some exchange of
        information. Names, dates and places are communicated, but not necessarily
        relationships. The biggest problem is probably combined records, which
        cannot be separated in FT. If you can separate them using AQ, please do.
        Otherwise send all the info to support@..., where wrongly
        combined records can often be separated by a special unit.

        Bill Buchanan

        On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 1:39 PM, Mary-Theresa Dameron <jbdmtd@...
        > wrote:

        > **
        >

        > My real question is that since FamilySearch doesn't really talk to
        > FamilyTree since Halloween, are our changes being made in the latest
        > database? If you are trying to uncombined individuals and click on the
        > option to link to FamilySearch, you are warned on the screen that all such
        > changes should be in FamilyTree.
        >
        > Mary-Theresa Dameron

        Bill Buchanan
        blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com

      • Mary-Theresa Dameron
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
          Thanks for all your replies. The Quaker records I am working on need a lot
          of work according the current AQ interface - be interesting to see what
          happens when AQ is linked to Family Tree.

          Mary-Theresa

        • tomhuber.yah@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
            The only thing that AQ doesn't handle is unmerging previously-merged
            records. It can be used to establish the "visible" records and it is
            very good at merging records.

            But for "unmerging" incorrectly merged records, you'll need to use
            Family Tree for that. For correcting such mistakes as wrong gender,
            you'll need to open a ticket via FamilySearch help. Make sure you
            provide all the required information (FS ID, name, relationships,
            etc., and proof that the person has had the wrong gender applied.)

            One last thing: FS is continuing to work on its documentation. Make
            sure you always are using the latest version for the "how to"
            instructions.

            Tom

            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 8, 2012
              I just use AQ yesterday to combine one complete family. As Bill said, relationships did not transfer for most of them. Had to go fishing in FT to get them linked.

              As for not being able to separate incorrectly combined records -  nFS Has this to say about how to do it.

              "The combine and separate features are being turned off because Family Tree is now available.
              Family Tree handles duplicate records in a new, improved way that is incompatible with new.familysearch.org.
              If you need to deal with duplicate records or fix an incorrectly combined record, copy the person's name and person
              identifier. Then use that information to find the person in Family Tree.
              From there, you can resolve duplicate records or make the needed  corrections."

              Maybe I am wrong, but I believe the old records not moved to FT and will all be deleted, so there is no need to worry about data that had not transferred. What ends up on FT being the only thing to survive, and we are to work with what is there to correct the data for our line - if this is done through FT or AQ, it is up to the individual doing the work.

              There are very few records in my line that have possible duplicates, so I haven't had to manage any incorrectly combined record. Unless the example mentioned next counts as an example.

              I have come upon a man married to two women named Mary (each with their own IDs), and his children split between the two women. One had another husband and family, so when I took the children that belonged to the other Mary off her file, and put them with the right couple, all I then had to do was delete the unwanted marriage, and everything was fine, both Marys had their right husbands and children. (Except there were children missing from my family since the relationship didn't work from AQ, as stated at the top of this message.)

              I did run into a couple that gave a list of one or two duplicates to
              check. You could mark the data you wanted to use from each file, and it
              would merge. I have not seen any way to fix incorrectly combined record other than to just remove data that wasn't right, and add new data in
              its place. Maybe that is what they mean by fixing wrongly merged
              individuals. ??? Have to do a bit more searching the help files. :-)

              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 8, 2012
                On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 08:14:13 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

                >its place. Maybe that is what they mean by fixing wrongly merged
                >individuals. ??? Have to do a bit more searching the help files. :-)

                Wrongly merged individuals often include a child merged with a
                grandparent, creating an impossible loop. That has happened far too
                often because merging in nFS was sometimes done without considering
                who was being merged, only that the names were the same.