Re: [AQ_NFS] syncing FT and nFS

  • Mary-Theresa Dameron
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
      My real question is that since FamilySearch doesn't really talk to
      FamilyTree since Halloween, are our changes being made in the latest
      database? If you are trying to uncombined individuals and click on the
      option to link to FamilySearch, you are warned on the screen that all such
      changes should be in FamilyTree.

      Mary-Theresa Dameron

    • S Douglas Cline
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
        Mine are being updated I FT also.

        SD Cline's iPhone 5
      • stew999@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
          Why is anyone continuing to combine or uncombine duplicates in nFS?

          nFS is slated to be withdrawn in early 2013 - I know they still have to
          transfer Notes and any nFS Sources before then.

          The message is - get off nFS asap - do all your corrective work in Family
          Tree without the complication of duplicates.

          ===Stewart

          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
            If u have used family tree then u know the answer.

            SD Cline's iPhone 5
            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
              Because we can do it through AQ with minimum of effort.

              All my changes made through AQ to nfs are updating to FT. When AQ can
              interface with FT then I will use it that way. I occasionally go directly
              to FT to view my changes and to do some editing and adding just so I can be
              familiar with it. But I much prefer using AQ for that feature. Also
              using AQ you can see the various data on nfs that is not transitioning to FT
              and I am using Gaylon's tips to make sure the most correct information is
              kept.

              I know that most of the good features will be available in FT but they are
              not there yet, such as adding my notes or getting the notes of others. As
              long as the information transitions from nfs to FT I will continue to use AQ
              to make changes and to reserve temple ordinances. I believe that if we
              were not supposed to be doing it that way at all, the ability to do so would
              be removed.

              Leslie Vaughn

              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                I am continuing to use AQ for all of my family tree updates. It is easy to
                do and I can have a nice red tag that shows me who I have checked in family
                tree. Once I have tagged everyone I am concerned with, I will go back and
                add more sources. It is a slow process, but I still find I like AQ for
                doing everything related to my family history research and for submitting
                things to the temple. Occasionally I hit a snafu, but if I close
                everything out and try later, I can usually do what I need to do. I am a
                great fan of AQ. It is so easy to use and helps me keep things straight.
                Thank you, Gaylon, for a fine product. Rosemary Hopkins

              • mkitchen@juno.com
                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                  For your information, using Ancestral Quest to "combine" followed by a selection of the Summary values accomplishes the same thing as a merge in Family Tree. It also gets on the change-log as a merge which you or others can do an unmerge if needed.

                  So, for all intents and purposes, in using AQ, you are actually doing a merge.

                  At the moment, AQ is much better at finding duplicates than is Family Tree.

                  FamilySearch has told Incline Software that they will keep the old methodology running until they tell him to start using new methods.

                  My advice: use the sandbox website (beta.familysearch.org) and practice a few merges and unmerges.

                  As always, make sure that your are combining or merging records that are truly duplicates and not just people of the same name.

                  In my estimation, a much bigger problem is records that previously have been improperly combined. With AQ, you can better see that problem. The other day, I helped a patron where four sisters had been combined into one record (Bessie, Essie, Dessie, and Mary!)
                  In my own work, just this week, I found a record where a Homer J. Beck, b. 1902 in Arkansas was combined with a Homer C. Beck, b. 1890 in Kentucky. Looking at the person in AQ showed the different birth dates and places and gave a strong hint of an improper combining.
                  When records are improperly combined in new.familySearch, it migrates to Family Tree as only one person.

                  So: KEEP ON USING AQ!

                  Merlin Kitchen

                  Please note: message attached

                  From: <stew999@...>
                  To: <AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com>
                  Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 21:02:41 -0000

                • Bill Buchanan
                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                    Actually the two sites are still linked and there is some exchange of
                    information. Names, dates and places are communicated, but not necessarily
                    relationships. The biggest problem is probably combined records, which
                    cannot be separated in FT. If you can separate them using AQ, please do.
                    Otherwise send all the info to support@..., where wrongly
                    combined records can often be separated by a special unit.

                    Bill Buchanan

                    On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 1:39 PM, Mary-Theresa Dameron <jbdmtd@...
                    > wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > My real question is that since FamilySearch doesn't really talk to
                    > FamilyTree since Halloween, are our changes being made in the latest
                    > database? If you are trying to uncombined individuals and click on the
                    > option to link to FamilySearch, you are warned on the screen that all such
                    > changes should be in FamilyTree.
                    >
                    > Mary-Theresa Dameron

                    Bill Buchanan
                    blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com

                  • Mary-Theresa Dameron
                    Message 9 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                      Thanks for all your replies. The Quaker records I am working on need a lot
                      of work according the current AQ interface - be interesting to see what
                      happens when AQ is linked to Family Tree.

                      Mary-Theresa

                    • tomhuber.yah@gmail.com
                      Message 10 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                        The only thing that AQ doesn't handle is unmerging previously-merged
                        records. It can be used to establish the "visible" records and it is
                        very good at merging records.

                        But for "unmerging" incorrectly merged records, you'll need to use
                        Family Tree for that. For correcting such mistakes as wrong gender,
                        you'll need to open a ticket via FamilySearch help. Make sure you
                        provide all the required information (FS ID, name, relationships,
                        etc., and proof that the person has had the wrong gender applied.)

                        One last thing: FS is continuing to work on its documentation. Make
                        sure you always are using the latest version for the "how to"
                        instructions.

                        Tom

                        Message 11 of 26 , Dec 8, 2012
                          I just use AQ yesterday to combine one complete family. As Bill said, relationships did not transfer for most of them. Had to go fishing in FT to get them linked.

                          As for not being able to separate incorrectly combined records -  nFS Has this to say about how to do it.

                          "The combine and separate features are being turned off because Family Tree is now available.
                          Family Tree handles duplicate records in a new, improved way that is incompatible with new.familysearch.org.
                          If you need to deal with duplicate records or fix an incorrectly combined record, copy the person's name and person
                          identifier. Then use that information to find the person in Family Tree.
                          From there, you can resolve duplicate records or make the needed  corrections."

                          Maybe I am wrong, but I believe the old records not moved to FT and will all be deleted, so there is no need to worry about data that had not transferred. What ends up on FT being the only thing to survive, and we are to work with what is there to correct the data for our line - if this is done through FT or AQ, it is up to the individual doing the work.

                          There are very few records in my line that have possible duplicates, so I haven't had to manage any incorrectly combined record. Unless the example mentioned next counts as an example.

                          I have come upon a man married to two women named Mary (each with their own IDs), and his children split between the two women. One had another husband and family, so when I took the children that belonged to the other Mary off her file, and put them with the right couple, all I then had to do was delete the unwanted marriage, and everything was fine, both Marys had their right husbands and children. (Except there were children missing from my family since the relationship didn't work from AQ, as stated at the top of this message.)

                          I did run into a couple that gave a list of one or two duplicates to
                          check. You could mark the data you wanted to use from each file, and it
                          would merge. I have not seen any way to fix incorrectly combined record other than to just remove data that wasn't right, and add new data in
                          its place. Maybe that is what they mean by fixing wrongly merged
                          individuals. ??? Have to do a bit more searching the help files. :-)

                          Message 12 of 26 , Dec 8, 2012
                            On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 08:14:13 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

                            >its place. Maybe that is what they mean by fixing wrongly merged
                            >individuals. ??? Have to do a bit more searching the help files. :-)

                            Wrongly merged individuals often include a child merged with a
                            grandparent, creating an impossible loop. That has happened far too
                            often because merging in nFS was sometimes done without considering
                            who was being merged, only that the names were the same.