Re: [AQ_NFS] syncing FT and nFS

    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 10, 2012
      I haven't heard anything official about whether the combine capability would be removed from the FamilySearch API, and therefore from AQ's ability to provide it. From various things I had heard, I assumed that the combine capability would have been blocked by now, but just the other day I tested this to be sure, and it is still there. You have already heard this from others, but I think this is an important preface to the other observations I am making:

      I believe that when you currently combine nFS records using AQ, that this combining is also reflected in the Family Tree. For example, if you are combining record "AAAA-BBB" with "CCCC-DDD", one of these two records will seemingly disappear, as it is combined with the other. And I think it will not only be removed from view in nFS, but in the Family Tree as well.

      Based on the information posted on nFS, I believe that FamilySearch would prefer that you use the Family Tree to merge people, but they have still made it available to combine using AQ. I think that when you combine records in nFS using AQ, that FamilySearch does a corresponding automatic merge in Family Tree to keep the two systems in sync.

      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 11, 2012
        Thank you Gaylon for this information. It is very helpful. AND I sincerely
        hope that the API for reconciling duplicates will be made available by the
        Church for AQ's engine to do this in the future for Family Tree. AQ has
        always been less cumbersome, more intuitive, faster and overall more
        efficient than any of the previous Church software. Let's hope they give
        you full access to drive FT through the AQ engine. Frankly, I don't
        understand any reluctance on their part for this not to happen, especially
        now that it has worked so well in the past with nFS. So we'll hope for the
        best !

        Thanks again,

        Doug Cline

      • Mary-Theresa Dameron
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 6, 2012
          My understanding from reading was that effective on October 31st, the
          combine and/or separate feature is no longer active in New FamilySearch.
          When opening the link in AQ, the program refers me to Family Tree.

          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 6, 2012
            I have been syncing/linking and combining records on NFS tonight. I have
            been adding information to individuals on nfs thru AQ and downloading
            information from nfs to AQ. Yesterday I did a bunch of combining on nfs
            using AQ.

            Leslie Vaughn

            From: "S Douglas Cline" <clinesd@... <mailto:clinesd%40comcast.net>

            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
              Like Leslie I have been syncing/linking and combining records. I have been doing it throughout all of November/December without any problems.

              Jim Pitt

              From: "S Douglas Cline" <clinesd@... <mailto:clinesd%40comcast.net>

              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                As like the others, I am still able to combine records in nFS through
                Ancestral Quest.

                S Douglas Cline

              • Mary-Theresa Dameron
                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                  My real question is that since FamilySearch doesn't really talk to
                  FamilyTree since Halloween, are our changes being made in the latest
                  database? If you are trying to uncombined individuals and click on the
                  option to link to FamilySearch, you are warned on the screen that all such
                  changes should be in FamilyTree.

                  Mary-Theresa Dameron

                • S Douglas Cline
                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                    Mine are being updated I FT also.

                    SD Cline's iPhone 5
                  • stew999@gmail.com
                    Message 9 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                      Why is anyone continuing to combine or uncombine duplicates in nFS?

                      nFS is slated to be withdrawn in early 2013 - I know they still have to
                      transfer Notes and any nFS Sources before then.

                      The message is - get off nFS asap - do all your corrective work in Family
                      Tree without the complication of duplicates.

                      ===Stewart

                      Message 10 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                        If u have used family tree then u know the answer.

                        SD Cline's iPhone 5
                        Message 11 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                          Because we can do it through AQ with minimum of effort.

                          All my changes made through AQ to nfs are updating to FT. When AQ can
                          interface with FT then I will use it that way. I occasionally go directly
                          to FT to view my changes and to do some editing and adding just so I can be
                          familiar with it. But I much prefer using AQ for that feature. Also
                          using AQ you can see the various data on nfs that is not transitioning to FT
                          and I am using Gaylon's tips to make sure the most correct information is
                          kept.

                          I know that most of the good features will be available in FT but they are
                          not there yet, such as adding my notes or getting the notes of others. As
                          long as the information transitions from nfs to FT I will continue to use AQ
                          to make changes and to reserve temple ordinances. I believe that if we
                          were not supposed to be doing it that way at all, the ability to do so would
                          be removed.

                          Leslie Vaughn

                          Message 12 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                            I am continuing to use AQ for all of my family tree updates. It is easy to
                            do and I can have a nice red tag that shows me who I have checked in family
                            tree. Once I have tagged everyone I am concerned with, I will go back and
                            add more sources. It is a slow process, but I still find I like AQ for
                            doing everything related to my family history research and for submitting
                            things to the temple. Occasionally I hit a snafu, but if I close
                            everything out and try later, I can usually do what I need to do. I am a
                            great fan of AQ. It is so easy to use and helps me keep things straight.
                            Thank you, Gaylon, for a fine product. Rosemary Hopkins

                          • mkitchen@juno.com
                            Message 13 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                              For your information, using Ancestral Quest to "combine" followed by a selection of the Summary values accomplishes the same thing as a merge in Family Tree. It also gets on the change-log as a merge which you or others can do an unmerge if needed.

                              So, for all intents and purposes, in using AQ, you are actually doing a merge.

                              At the moment, AQ is much better at finding duplicates than is Family Tree.

                              FamilySearch has told Incline Software that they will keep the old methodology running until they tell him to start using new methods.

                              My advice: use the sandbox website (beta.familysearch.org) and practice a few merges and unmerges.

                              As always, make sure that your are combining or merging records that are truly duplicates and not just people of the same name.

                              In my estimation, a much bigger problem is records that previously have been improperly combined. With AQ, you can better see that problem. The other day, I helped a patron where four sisters had been combined into one record (Bessie, Essie, Dessie, and Mary!)
                              In my own work, just this week, I found a record where a Homer J. Beck, b. 1902 in Arkansas was combined with a Homer C. Beck, b. 1890 in Kentucky. Looking at the person in AQ showed the different birth dates and places and gave a strong hint of an improper combining.
                              When records are improperly combined in new.familySearch, it migrates to Family Tree as only one person.

                              So: KEEP ON USING AQ!

                              Merlin Kitchen

                              Please note: message attached

                              From: <stew999@...>
                              To: <AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com>
                              Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 21:02:41 -0000

                            • Bill Buchanan
                              Message 14 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                                Actually the two sites are still linked and there is some exchange of
                                information. Names, dates and places are communicated, but not necessarily
                                relationships. The biggest problem is probably combined records, which
                                cannot be separated in FT. If you can separate them using AQ, please do.
                                Otherwise send all the info to support@..., where wrongly
                                combined records can often be separated by a special unit.

                                Bill Buchanan

                                On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 1:39 PM, Mary-Theresa Dameron <jbdmtd@...
                                > wrote:

                                > **
                                >

                                > My real question is that since FamilySearch doesn't really talk to
                                > FamilyTree since Halloween, are our changes being made in the latest
                                > database? If you are trying to uncombined individuals and click on the
                                > option to link to FamilySearch, you are warned on the screen that all such
                                > changes should be in FamilyTree.
                                >
                                > Mary-Theresa Dameron

                                Bill Buchanan
                                blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com

                              • Mary-Theresa Dameron
                                Message 15 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                                  Thanks for all your replies. The Quaker records I am working on need a lot
                                  of work according the current AQ interface - be interesting to see what
                                  happens when AQ is linked to Family Tree.

                                  Mary-Theresa

                                • tomhuber.yah@gmail.com
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                                    The only thing that AQ doesn't handle is unmerging previously-merged
                                    records. It can be used to establish the "visible" records and it is
                                    very good at merging records.

                                    But for "unmerging" incorrectly merged records, you'll need to use
                                    Family Tree for that. For correcting such mistakes as wrong gender,
                                    you'll need to open a ticket via FamilySearch help. Make sure you
                                    provide all the required information (FS ID, name, relationships,
                                    etc., and proof that the person has had the wrong gender applied.)

                                    One last thing: FS is continuing to work on its documentation. Make
                                    sure you always are using the latest version for the "how to"
                                    instructions.

                                    Tom

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Dec 8, 2012
                                      I just use AQ yesterday to combine one complete family. As Bill said, relationships did not transfer for most of them. Had to go fishing in FT to get them linked.

                                      As for not being able to separate incorrectly combined records -  nFS Has this to say about how to do it.

                                      "The combine and separate features are being turned off because Family Tree is now available.
                                      Family Tree handles duplicate records in a new, improved way that is incompatible with new.familysearch.org.
                                      If you need to deal with duplicate records or fix an incorrectly combined record, copy the person's name and person
                                      identifier. Then use that information to find the person in Family Tree.
                                      From there, you can resolve duplicate records or make the needed  corrections."

                                      Maybe I am wrong, but I believe the old records not moved to FT and will all be deleted, so there is no need to worry about data that had not transferred. What ends up on FT being the only thing to survive, and we are to work with what is there to correct the data for our line - if this is done through FT or AQ, it is up to the individual doing the work.

                                      There are very few records in my line that have possible duplicates, so I haven't had to manage any incorrectly combined record. Unless the example mentioned next counts as an example.

                                      I have come upon a man married to two women named Mary (each with their own IDs), and his children split between the two women. One had another husband and family, so when I took the children that belonged to the other Mary off her file, and put them with the right couple, all I then had to do was delete the unwanted marriage, and everything was fine, both Marys had their right husbands and children. (Except there were children missing from my family since the relationship didn't work from AQ, as stated at the top of this message.)

                                      I did run into a couple that gave a list of one or two duplicates to
                                      check. You could mark the data you wanted to use from each file, and it
                                      would merge. I have not seen any way to fix incorrectly combined record other than to just remove data that wasn't right, and add new data in
                                      its place. Maybe that is what they mean by fixing wrongly merged
                                      individuals. ??? Have to do a bit more searching the help files. :-)

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Dec 8, 2012
                                        On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 08:14:13 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

                                        >its place. Maybe that is what they mean by fixing wrongly merged
                                        >individuals. ??? Have to do a bit more searching the help files. :-)

                                        Wrongly merged individuals often include a child merged with a
                                        grandparent, creating an impossible loop. That has happened far too
                                        often because merging in nFS was sometimes done without considering
                                        who was being merged, only that the names were the same.