Re: [AQ_NFS] syncing FT and nFS

  • tomhuber.yah@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 10, 2012
      That is, Build 7 (the latest build) of AQ 14.

      On Sat, 10 Nov 2012 14:00:47 -0700, you wrote:

      >I understand how to set summary values on Family Search, but I don't see
      >where the button is to "Set Family Tree" or see the data show "set" as you
      >stated.
    • S Douglas Cline
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 10, 2012
        Hi Tom,

        I was indeed on build six instead of seven. Now that I have upgraded, I see
        the "Set Family Tree" button instead of the "set summary." However, I don't
        see anywhere that it shows any data showing "set." Should I see that in AQ
        or in Family Tree? Or were you just saying that after you click the "Set
        Family Tree" button, that the data is actually set?

        As I use Family Tree, it seems much more cumbersome to me than nFS but I
        suppose I will get used to it in time. But I really haven't been able to
        tell if the records are emulating nFS or not. In fact I have the same name
        in Family Tree with two different ID's and yet when I check for possible
        duplicates on either one of them, it tells me there are no matches found,
        which is of course ridiculous. Anyway, thanks so much for the help.

        S Douglas Cline

      • tomhuber.yah@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 10, 2012
          Once you press the "Set Family Tree" a window will open and allow to
          select the desired data for the name, birth, death, and burial.

          The advantage of Family Tree may not be readily apparent if you are
          working with relatively clean records. But if there is a mess (as
          there is with some of my families), you can clean up the extraneous
          data. They are then reflected back to what you see when you look at
          the date from AQ.

          I'm sure that everything is not quite as it should be, yet, but it is
          getting there.

          Tom

          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 10, 2012
            I haven't heard anything official about whether the combine capability would be removed from the FamilySearch API, and therefore from AQ's ability to provide it. From various things I had heard, I assumed that the combine capability would have been blocked by now, but just the other day I tested this to be sure, and it is still there. You have already heard this from others, but I think this is an important preface to the other observations I am making:

            I believe that when you currently combine nFS records using AQ, that this combining is also reflected in the Family Tree. For example, if you are combining record "AAAA-BBB" with "CCCC-DDD", one of these two records will seemingly disappear, as it is combined with the other. And I think it will not only be removed from view in nFS, but in the Family Tree as well.

            Based on the information posted on nFS, I believe that FamilySearch would prefer that you use the Family Tree to merge people, but they have still made it available to combine using AQ. I think that when you combine records in nFS using AQ, that FamilySearch does a corresponding automatic merge in Family Tree to keep the two systems in sync.

            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 11, 2012
              Thank you Gaylon for this information. It is very helpful. AND I sincerely
              hope that the API for reconciling duplicates will be made available by the
              Church for AQ's engine to do this in the future for Family Tree. AQ has
              always been less cumbersome, more intuitive, faster and overall more
              efficient than any of the previous Church software. Let's hope they give
              you full access to drive FT through the AQ engine. Frankly, I don't
              understand any reluctance on their part for this not to happen, especially
              now that it has worked so well in the past with nFS. So we'll hope for the
              best !

              Thanks again,

              Doug Cline

            • Mary-Theresa Dameron
              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 6, 2012
                My understanding from reading was that effective on October 31st, the
                combine and/or separate feature is no longer active in New FamilySearch.
                When opening the link in AQ, the program refers me to Family Tree.

                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 6, 2012
                  I have been syncing/linking and combining records on NFS tonight. I have
                  been adding information to individuals on nfs thru AQ and downloading
                  information from nfs to AQ. Yesterday I did a bunch of combining on nfs
                  using AQ.

                  Leslie Vaughn

                  From: "S Douglas Cline" <clinesd@... <mailto:clinesd%40comcast.net>

                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                    Like Leslie I have been syncing/linking and combining records. I have been doing it throughout all of November/December without any problems.

                    Jim Pitt

                    From: "S Douglas Cline" <clinesd@... <mailto:clinesd%40comcast.net>

                    Message 9 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                      As like the others, I am still able to combine records in nFS through
                      Ancestral Quest.

                      S Douglas Cline

                    • Mary-Theresa Dameron
                      Message 10 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                        My real question is that since FamilySearch doesn't really talk to
                        FamilyTree since Halloween, are our changes being made in the latest
                        database? If you are trying to uncombined individuals and click on the
                        option to link to FamilySearch, you are warned on the screen that all such
                        changes should be in FamilyTree.

                        Mary-Theresa Dameron

                      • S Douglas Cline
                        Message 11 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                          Mine are being updated I FT also.

                          SD Cline's iPhone 5
                        • stew999@gmail.com
                          Message 12 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                            Why is anyone continuing to combine or uncombine duplicates in nFS?

                            nFS is slated to be withdrawn in early 2013 - I know they still have to
                            transfer Notes and any nFS Sources before then.

                            The message is - get off nFS asap - do all your corrective work in Family
                            Tree without the complication of duplicates.

                            ===Stewart

                            Message 13 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                              If u have used family tree then u know the answer.

                              SD Cline's iPhone 5
                              Message 14 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                                Because we can do it through AQ with minimum of effort.

                                All my changes made through AQ to nfs are updating to FT. When AQ can
                                interface with FT then I will use it that way. I occasionally go directly
                                to FT to view my changes and to do some editing and adding just so I can be
                                familiar with it. But I much prefer using AQ for that feature. Also
                                using AQ you can see the various data on nfs that is not transitioning to FT
                                and I am using Gaylon's tips to make sure the most correct information is
                                kept.

                                I know that most of the good features will be available in FT but they are
                                not there yet, such as adding my notes or getting the notes of others. As
                                long as the information transitions from nfs to FT I will continue to use AQ
                                to make changes and to reserve temple ordinances. I believe that if we
                                were not supposed to be doing it that way at all, the ability to do so would
                                be removed.

                                Leslie Vaughn

                                Message 15 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                                  I am continuing to use AQ for all of my family tree updates. It is easy to
                                  do and I can have a nice red tag that shows me who I have checked in family
                                  tree. Once I have tagged everyone I am concerned with, I will go back and
                                  add more sources. It is a slow process, but I still find I like AQ for
                                  doing everything related to my family history research and for submitting
                                  things to the temple. Occasionally I hit a snafu, but if I close
                                  everything out and try later, I can usually do what I need to do. I am a
                                  great fan of AQ. It is so easy to use and helps me keep things straight.
                                  Thank you, Gaylon, for a fine product. Rosemary Hopkins

                                • mkitchen@juno.com
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                                    For your information, using Ancestral Quest to "combine" followed by a selection of the Summary values accomplishes the same thing as a merge in Family Tree. It also gets on the change-log as a merge which you or others can do an unmerge if needed.

                                    So, for all intents and purposes, in using AQ, you are actually doing a merge.

                                    At the moment, AQ is much better at finding duplicates than is Family Tree.

                                    FamilySearch has told Incline Software that they will keep the old methodology running until they tell him to start using new methods.

                                    My advice: use the sandbox website (beta.familysearch.org) and practice a few merges and unmerges.

                                    As always, make sure that your are combining or merging records that are truly duplicates and not just people of the same name.

                                    In my estimation, a much bigger problem is records that previously have been improperly combined. With AQ, you can better see that problem. The other day, I helped a patron where four sisters had been combined into one record (Bessie, Essie, Dessie, and Mary!)
                                    In my own work, just this week, I found a record where a Homer J. Beck, b. 1902 in Arkansas was combined with a Homer C. Beck, b. 1890 in Kentucky. Looking at the person in AQ showed the different birth dates and places and gave a strong hint of an improper combining.
                                    When records are improperly combined in new.familySearch, it migrates to Family Tree as only one person.

                                    So: KEEP ON USING AQ!

                                    Merlin Kitchen

                                    Please note: message attached

                                    From: <stew999@...>
                                    To: <AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com>
                                    Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 21:02:41 -0000

                                  • Bill Buchanan
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                                      Actually the two sites are still linked and there is some exchange of
                                      information. Names, dates and places are communicated, but not necessarily
                                      relationships. The biggest problem is probably combined records, which
                                      cannot be separated in FT. If you can separate them using AQ, please do.
                                      Otherwise send all the info to support@..., where wrongly
                                      combined records can often be separated by a special unit.

                                      Bill Buchanan

                                      On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 1:39 PM, Mary-Theresa Dameron <jbdmtd@...
                                      > wrote:

                                      > **
                                      >

                                      > My real question is that since FamilySearch doesn't really talk to
                                      > FamilyTree since Halloween, are our changes being made in the latest
                                      > database? If you are trying to uncombined individuals and click on the
                                      > option to link to FamilySearch, you are warned on the screen that all such
                                      > changes should be in FamilyTree.
                                      >
                                      > Mary-Theresa Dameron

                                      Bill Buchanan
                                      blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com

                                    • Mary-Theresa Dameron
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                                        Thanks for all your replies. The Quaker records I am working on need a lot
                                        of work according the current AQ interface - be interesting to see what
                                        happens when AQ is linked to Family Tree.

                                        Mary-Theresa

                                      • tomhuber.yah@gmail.com
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                                          The only thing that AQ doesn't handle is unmerging previously-merged
                                          records. It can be used to establish the "visible" records and it is
                                          very good at merging records.

                                          But for "unmerging" incorrectly merged records, you'll need to use
                                          Family Tree for that. For correcting such mistakes as wrong gender,
                                          you'll need to open a ticket via FamilySearch help. Make sure you
                                          provide all the required information (FS ID, name, relationships,
                                          etc., and proof that the person has had the wrong gender applied.)

                                          One last thing: FS is continuing to work on its documentation. Make
                                          sure you always are using the latest version for the "how to"
                                          instructions.

                                          Tom

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Dec 8, 2012
                                            I just use AQ yesterday to combine one complete family. As Bill said, relationships did not transfer for most of them. Had to go fishing in FT to get them linked.

                                            As for not being able to separate incorrectly combined records -  nFS Has this to say about how to do it.

                                            "The combine and separate features are being turned off because Family Tree is now available.
                                            Family Tree handles duplicate records in a new, improved way that is incompatible with new.familysearch.org.
                                            If you need to deal with duplicate records or fix an incorrectly combined record, copy the person's name and person
                                            identifier. Then use that information to find the person in Family Tree.
                                            From there, you can resolve duplicate records or make the needed  corrections."

                                            Maybe I am wrong, but I believe the old records not moved to FT and will all be deleted, so there is no need to worry about data that had not transferred. What ends up on FT being the only thing to survive, and we are to work with what is there to correct the data for our line - if this is done through FT or AQ, it is up to the individual doing the work.

                                            There are very few records in my line that have possible duplicates, so I haven't had to manage any incorrectly combined record. Unless the example mentioned next counts as an example.

                                            I have come upon a man married to two women named Mary (each with their own IDs), and his children split between the two women. One had another husband and family, so when I took the children that belonged to the other Mary off her file, and put them with the right couple, all I then had to do was delete the unwanted marriage, and everything was fine, both Marys had their right husbands and children. (Except there were children missing from my family since the relationship didn't work from AQ, as stated at the top of this message.)

                                            I did run into a couple that gave a list of one or two duplicates to
                                            check. You could mark the data you wanted to use from each file, and it
                                            would merge. I have not seen any way to fix incorrectly combined record other than to just remove data that wasn't right, and add new data in
                                            its place. Maybe that is what they mean by fixing wrongly merged
                                            individuals. ??? Have to do a bit more searching the help files. :-)

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Dec 8, 2012
                                              On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 08:14:13 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

                                              >its place. Maybe that is what they mean by fixing wrongly merged
                                              >individuals. ??? Have to do a bit more searching the help files. :-)

                                              Wrongly merged individuals often include a child merged with a
                                              grandparent, creating an impossible loop. That has happened far too
                                              often because merging in nFS was sometimes done without considering
                                              who was being merged, only that the names were the same.