Re: [AQ_NFS] syncing FT and nFS

  • tomhuber.yah@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 10, 2012
      It is a feature under AQ14 and appears when you open the "Review and
      Selectively Synchronize FamilySearch Person with Local Person" window
      (FamilySearch... Review/Sync Individual ( CTRL+E). In the window it is
      to the far right above the Help button.

    • tomhuber.yah@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 10, 2012
        That is, Build 7 (the latest build) of AQ 14.

        On Sat, 10 Nov 2012 14:00:47 -0700, you wrote:

        >I understand how to set summary values on Family Search, but I don't see
        >where the button is to "Set Family Tree" or see the data show "set" as you
        >stated.
      • S Douglas Cline
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 10, 2012
          Hi Tom,

          I was indeed on build six instead of seven. Now that I have upgraded, I see
          the "Set Family Tree" button instead of the "set summary." However, I don't
          see anywhere that it shows any data showing "set." Should I see that in AQ
          or in Family Tree? Or were you just saying that after you click the "Set
          Family Tree" button, that the data is actually set?

          As I use Family Tree, it seems much more cumbersome to me than nFS but I
          suppose I will get used to it in time. But I really haven't been able to
          tell if the records are emulating nFS or not. In fact I have the same name
          in Family Tree with two different ID's and yet when I check for possible
          duplicates on either one of them, it tells me there are no matches found,
          which is of course ridiculous. Anyway, thanks so much for the help.

          S Douglas Cline

        • tomhuber.yah@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 10, 2012
            Once you press the "Set Family Tree" a window will open and allow to
            select the desired data for the name, birth, death, and burial.

            The advantage of Family Tree may not be readily apparent if you are
            working with relatively clean records. But if there is a mess (as
            there is with some of my families), you can clean up the extraneous
            data. They are then reflected back to what you see when you look at
            the date from AQ.

            I'm sure that everything is not quite as it should be, yet, but it is
            getting there.

            Tom

            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 10, 2012
              I haven't heard anything official about whether the combine capability would be removed from the FamilySearch API, and therefore from AQ's ability to provide it. From various things I had heard, I assumed that the combine capability would have been blocked by now, but just the other day I tested this to be sure, and it is still there. You have already heard this from others, but I think this is an important preface to the other observations I am making:

              I believe that when you currently combine nFS records using AQ, that this combining is also reflected in the Family Tree. For example, if you are combining record "AAAA-BBB" with "CCCC-DDD", one of these two records will seemingly disappear, as it is combined with the other. And I think it will not only be removed from view in nFS, but in the Family Tree as well.

              Based on the information posted on nFS, I believe that FamilySearch would prefer that you use the Family Tree to merge people, but they have still made it available to combine using AQ. I think that when you combine records in nFS using AQ, that FamilySearch does a corresponding automatic merge in Family Tree to keep the two systems in sync.

              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 11, 2012
                Thank you Gaylon for this information. It is very helpful. AND I sincerely
                hope that the API for reconciling duplicates will be made available by the
                Church for AQ's engine to do this in the future for Family Tree. AQ has
                always been less cumbersome, more intuitive, faster and overall more
                efficient than any of the previous Church software. Let's hope they give
                you full access to drive FT through the AQ engine. Frankly, I don't
                understand any reluctance on their part for this not to happen, especially
                now that it has worked so well in the past with nFS. So we'll hope for the
                best !

                Thanks again,

                Doug Cline

              • Mary-Theresa Dameron
                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 6, 2012
                  My understanding from reading was that effective on October 31st, the
                  combine and/or separate feature is no longer active in New FamilySearch.
                  When opening the link in AQ, the program refers me to Family Tree.

                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 6, 2012
                    I have been syncing/linking and combining records on NFS tonight. I have
                    been adding information to individuals on nfs thru AQ and downloading
                    information from nfs to AQ. Yesterday I did a bunch of combining on nfs
                    using AQ.

                    Leslie Vaughn

                    From: "S Douglas Cline" <clinesd@... <mailto:clinesd%40comcast.net>

                    Message 9 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                      Like Leslie I have been syncing/linking and combining records. I have been doing it throughout all of November/December without any problems.

                      Jim Pitt

                      From: "S Douglas Cline" <clinesd@... <mailto:clinesd%40comcast.net>

                      Message 10 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                        As like the others, I am still able to combine records in nFS through
                        Ancestral Quest.

                        S Douglas Cline

                      • Mary-Theresa Dameron
                        Message 11 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                          My real question is that since FamilySearch doesn't really talk to
                          FamilyTree since Halloween, are our changes being made in the latest
                          database? If you are trying to uncombined individuals and click on the
                          option to link to FamilySearch, you are warned on the screen that all such
                          changes should be in FamilyTree.

                          Mary-Theresa Dameron

                        • S Douglas Cline
                          Message 12 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                            Mine are being updated I FT also.

                            SD Cline's iPhone 5
                          • stew999@gmail.com
                            Message 13 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                              Why is anyone continuing to combine or uncombine duplicates in nFS?

                              nFS is slated to be withdrawn in early 2013 - I know they still have to
                              transfer Notes and any nFS Sources before then.

                              The message is - get off nFS asap - do all your corrective work in Family
                              Tree without the complication of duplicates.

                              ===Stewart

                              Message 14 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                                If u have used family tree then u know the answer.

                                SD Cline's iPhone 5
                                Message 15 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                                  Because we can do it through AQ with minimum of effort.

                                  All my changes made through AQ to nfs are updating to FT. When AQ can
                                  interface with FT then I will use it that way. I occasionally go directly
                                  to FT to view my changes and to do some editing and adding just so I can be
                                  familiar with it. But I much prefer using AQ for that feature. Also
                                  using AQ you can see the various data on nfs that is not transitioning to FT
                                  and I am using Gaylon's tips to make sure the most correct information is
                                  kept.

                                  I know that most of the good features will be available in FT but they are
                                  not there yet, such as adding my notes or getting the notes of others. As
                                  long as the information transitions from nfs to FT I will continue to use AQ
                                  to make changes and to reserve temple ordinances. I believe that if we
                                  were not supposed to be doing it that way at all, the ability to do so would
                                  be removed.

                                  Leslie Vaughn

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                                    I am continuing to use AQ for all of my family tree updates. It is easy to
                                    do and I can have a nice red tag that shows me who I have checked in family
                                    tree. Once I have tagged everyone I am concerned with, I will go back and
                                    add more sources. It is a slow process, but I still find I like AQ for
                                    doing everything related to my family history research and for submitting
                                    things to the temple. Occasionally I hit a snafu, but if I close
                                    everything out and try later, I can usually do what I need to do. I am a
                                    great fan of AQ. It is so easy to use and helps me keep things straight.
                                    Thank you, Gaylon, for a fine product. Rosemary Hopkins

                                  • mkitchen@juno.com
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                                      For your information, using Ancestral Quest to "combine" followed by a selection of the Summary values accomplishes the same thing as a merge in Family Tree. It also gets on the change-log as a merge which you or others can do an unmerge if needed.

                                      So, for all intents and purposes, in using AQ, you are actually doing a merge.

                                      At the moment, AQ is much better at finding duplicates than is Family Tree.

                                      FamilySearch has told Incline Software that they will keep the old methodology running until they tell him to start using new methods.

                                      My advice: use the sandbox website (beta.familysearch.org) and practice a few merges and unmerges.

                                      As always, make sure that your are combining or merging records that are truly duplicates and not just people of the same name.

                                      In my estimation, a much bigger problem is records that previously have been improperly combined. With AQ, you can better see that problem. The other day, I helped a patron where four sisters had been combined into one record (Bessie, Essie, Dessie, and Mary!)
                                      In my own work, just this week, I found a record where a Homer J. Beck, b. 1902 in Arkansas was combined with a Homer C. Beck, b. 1890 in Kentucky. Looking at the person in AQ showed the different birth dates and places and gave a strong hint of an improper combining.
                                      When records are improperly combined in new.familySearch, it migrates to Family Tree as only one person.

                                      So: KEEP ON USING AQ!

                                      Merlin Kitchen

                                      Please note: message attached

                                      From: <stew999@...>
                                      To: <AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com>
                                      Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 21:02:41 -0000

                                    • Bill Buchanan
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                                        Actually the two sites are still linked and there is some exchange of
                                        information. Names, dates and places are communicated, but not necessarily
                                        relationships. The biggest problem is probably combined records, which
                                        cannot be separated in FT. If you can separate them using AQ, please do.
                                        Otherwise send all the info to support@..., where wrongly
                                        combined records can often be separated by a special unit.

                                        Bill Buchanan

                                        On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 1:39 PM, Mary-Theresa Dameron <jbdmtd@...
                                        > wrote:

                                        > **
                                        >

                                        > My real question is that since FamilySearch doesn't really talk to
                                        > FamilyTree since Halloween, are our changes being made in the latest
                                        > database? If you are trying to uncombined individuals and click on the
                                        > option to link to FamilySearch, you are warned on the screen that all such
                                        > changes should be in FamilyTree.
                                        >
                                        > Mary-Theresa Dameron

                                        Bill Buchanan
                                        blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com

                                      • Mary-Theresa Dameron
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                                          Thanks for all your replies. The Quaker records I am working on need a lot
                                          of work according the current AQ interface - be interesting to see what
                                          happens when AQ is linked to Family Tree.

                                          Mary-Theresa

                                        • tomhuber.yah@gmail.com
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                                            The only thing that AQ doesn't handle is unmerging previously-merged
                                            records. It can be used to establish the "visible" records and it is
                                            very good at merging records.

                                            But for "unmerging" incorrectly merged records, you'll need to use
                                            Family Tree for that. For correcting such mistakes as wrong gender,
                                            you'll need to open a ticket via FamilySearch help. Make sure you
                                            provide all the required information (FS ID, name, relationships,
                                            etc., and proof that the person has had the wrong gender applied.)

                                            One last thing: FS is continuing to work on its documentation. Make
                                            sure you always are using the latest version for the "how to"
                                            instructions.

                                            Tom

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Dec 8, 2012
                                              I just use AQ yesterday to combine one complete family. As Bill said, relationships did not transfer for most of them. Had to go fishing in FT to get them linked.

                                              As for not being able to separate incorrectly combined records -  nFS Has this to say about how to do it.

                                              "The combine and separate features are being turned off because Family Tree is now available.
                                              Family Tree handles duplicate records in a new, improved way that is incompatible with new.familysearch.org.
                                              If you need to deal with duplicate records or fix an incorrectly combined record, copy the person's name and person
                                              identifier. Then use that information to find the person in Family Tree.
                                              From there, you can resolve duplicate records or make the needed  corrections."

                                              Maybe I am wrong, but I believe the old records not moved to FT and will all be deleted, so there is no need to worry about data that had not transferred. What ends up on FT being the only thing to survive, and we are to work with what is there to correct the data for our line - if this is done through FT or AQ, it is up to the individual doing the work.

                                              There are very few records in my line that have possible duplicates, so I haven't had to manage any incorrectly combined record. Unless the example mentioned next counts as an example.

                                              I have come upon a man married to two women named Mary (each with their own IDs), and his children split between the two women. One had another husband and family, so when I took the children that belonged to the other Mary off her file, and put them with the right couple, all I then had to do was delete the unwanted marriage, and everything was fine, both Marys had their right husbands and children. (Except there were children missing from my family since the relationship didn't work from AQ, as stated at the top of this message.)

                                              I did run into a couple that gave a list of one or two duplicates to
                                              check. You could mark the data you wanted to use from each file, and it
                                              would merge. I have not seen any way to fix incorrectly combined record other than to just remove data that wasn't right, and add new data in
                                              its place. Maybe that is what they mean by fixing wrongly merged
                                              individuals. ??? Have to do a bit more searching the help files. :-)

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Dec 8, 2012
                                                On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 08:14:13 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

                                                >its place. Maybe that is what they mean by fixing wrongly merged
                                                >individuals. ??? Have to do a bit more searching the help files. :-)

                                                Wrongly merged individuals often include a child merged with a
                                                grandparent, creating an impossible loop. That has happened far too
                                                often because merging in nFS was sometimes done without considering
                                                who was being merged, only that the names were the same.