syncing FT and nFS

  • S Douglas Cline
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 10, 2012

      I thought the video you most recently posted to this user group was most
      informative. Thank you.

      I have a question that I would like to ask: As we are all aware, New Family
      Search will go away sometime in the near future in favor of Family Tree, but
      I understand that for the time being, the Church is keeping New Family
      Search's data base and Family Tree's data base in sync with each other.
      Nevertheless, it is also evident that certain features of nFS are being
      taken away, forcing if you will, us to use Family Tree's features. An
      example of this is the ability to merge and unmerge individuals. Even
      though the ability to combine and un-combine is now defunct in nFS, this
      ability is still available through AQ. An example of this is when linking
      an individual in one's local data base to nFS, if several "hits" are
      encountered in this process, then AQ has the ability to combine and sync
      these "hits" into one. Also in the "Review with Family Search" option in
      AQ, AQ allows to combine spouses and children, etc.

      My question is this: If I use AQ's ability to combine individuals and
      family members in nFS using the methods I just described above, are they
      still reflected and synced with the data base in Family Tree? And for that
      matter, even though it appears like people are being combined in nFS by
      these same methods, is it really taking effect in nFS (since those combining
      functions are purportedly disabled)?

      Thanks in advance for your response. And by the way, though I don't
      participate as much as others on this site I watch assiduously the
      conversations that take place and learn a great deal in the process. Thanks
      again for a great product and for the great support that you and your team
      render to us users!

      S Douglas Cline

      Brown & Young Companies

      Cell: 801 560-2340

      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 10, 2012
        When I tried combing in AQ and then checked FT the data was not changed. FT is already combined, and if data is not correct, then check the upper section of the right hand column where they list other possible matches. There are seldom any names there in my lines, but I have found a few. When checking these names they were not a match.

        I find using the combining feature in AQ to be a waste of time now, except for your own records. FT seems to have caught up to that feature, and you can correct any errors there in FT. All the other possible  matches seem to have been removed or at least hidden. As long as the correct data is in FT the work that has been done is valid.

        I just checked to see what nFS says, and when I look to see what they say about duplicates, I see there is a notice "Please use Family Tree to identify and remove possible duplicates." To me that suggest they don't want to accept any more duplicates than what is on FT. Just my thought. :-) You can try one of your relatives and see what it looks like in FT.

      • tomhuber.yah@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 10, 2012
          Make sure that you have set the correct data from AQ with "Set Family
          Tree" _before_ you examine the records in Family Tree. It will make a
          significant difference in what you see.

          I am not seeing any of the problems you are suggesting are happening
          when I combine in AQ. I always make sure that the right data is then
          showing "set".

          Tom

          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 10, 2012
            I understand how to set summary values on Family Search, but I don't see
            where the button is to "Set Family Tree" or see the data show "set" as you
            stated.

            S Douglas Cline

            Brown & Young Companies

            Cell: 801 560-2340

          • tomhuber.yah@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 10, 2012
              It is a feature under AQ14 and appears when you open the "Review and
              Selectively Synchronize FamilySearch Person with Local Person" window
              (FamilySearch... Review/Sync Individual ( CTRL+E). In the window it is
              to the far right above the Help button.

            • tomhuber.yah@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 10, 2012
                That is, Build 7 (the latest build) of AQ 14.

                On Sat, 10 Nov 2012 14:00:47 -0700, you wrote:

                >I understand how to set summary values on Family Search, but I don't see
                >where the button is to "Set Family Tree" or see the data show "set" as you
                >stated.
              • S Douglas Cline
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 10, 2012
                  Hi Tom,

                  I was indeed on build six instead of seven. Now that I have upgraded, I see
                  the "Set Family Tree" button instead of the "set summary." However, I don't
                  see anywhere that it shows any data showing "set." Should I see that in AQ
                  or in Family Tree? Or were you just saying that after you click the "Set
                  Family Tree" button, that the data is actually set?

                  As I use Family Tree, it seems much more cumbersome to me than nFS but I
                  suppose I will get used to it in time. But I really haven't been able to
                  tell if the records are emulating nFS or not. In fact I have the same name
                  in Family Tree with two different ID's and yet when I check for possible
                  duplicates on either one of them, it tells me there are no matches found,
                  which is of course ridiculous. Anyway, thanks so much for the help.

                  S Douglas Cline

                • tomhuber.yah@gmail.com
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 10, 2012
                    Once you press the "Set Family Tree" a window will open and allow to
                    select the desired data for the name, birth, death, and burial.

                    The advantage of Family Tree may not be readily apparent if you are
                    working with relatively clean records. But if there is a mess (as
                    there is with some of my families), you can clean up the extraneous
                    data. They are then reflected back to what you see when you look at
                    the date from AQ.

                    I'm sure that everything is not quite as it should be, yet, but it is
                    getting there.

                    Tom

                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 10, 2012
                      I haven't heard anything official about whether the combine capability would be removed from the FamilySearch API, and therefore from AQ's ability to provide it. From various things I had heard, I assumed that the combine capability would have been blocked by now, but just the other day I tested this to be sure, and it is still there. You have already heard this from others, but I think this is an important preface to the other observations I am making:

                      I believe that when you currently combine nFS records using AQ, that this combining is also reflected in the Family Tree. For example, if you are combining record "AAAA-BBB" with "CCCC-DDD", one of these two records will seemingly disappear, as it is combined with the other. And I think it will not only be removed from view in nFS, but in the Family Tree as well.

                      Based on the information posted on nFS, I believe that FamilySearch would prefer that you use the Family Tree to merge people, but they have still made it available to combine using AQ. I think that when you combine records in nFS using AQ, that FamilySearch does a corresponding automatic merge in Family Tree to keep the two systems in sync.

                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 11, 2012
                        Thank you Gaylon for this information. It is very helpful. AND I sincerely
                        hope that the API for reconciling duplicates will be made available by the
                        Church for AQ's engine to do this in the future for Family Tree. AQ has
                        always been less cumbersome, more intuitive, faster and overall more
                        efficient than any of the previous Church software. Let's hope they give
                        you full access to drive FT through the AQ engine. Frankly, I don't
                        understand any reluctance on their part for this not to happen, especially
                        now that it has worked so well in the past with nFS. So we'll hope for the
                        best !

                        Thanks again,

                        Doug Cline

                      • Mary-Theresa Dameron
                        Message 11 of 26 , Dec 6, 2012
                          My understanding from reading was that effective on October 31st, the
                          combine and/or separate feature is no longer active in New FamilySearch.
                          When opening the link in AQ, the program refers me to Family Tree.

                          Message 12 of 26 , Dec 6, 2012
                            I have been syncing/linking and combining records on NFS tonight. I have
                            been adding information to individuals on nfs thru AQ and downloading
                            information from nfs to AQ. Yesterday I did a bunch of combining on nfs
                            using AQ.

                            Leslie Vaughn

                            From: "S Douglas Cline" <clinesd@... <mailto:clinesd%40comcast.net>

                            Message 13 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                              Like Leslie I have been syncing/linking and combining records. I have been doing it throughout all of November/December without any problems.

                              Jim Pitt

                              From: "S Douglas Cline" <clinesd@... <mailto:clinesd%40comcast.net>

                              Message 14 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                                As like the others, I am still able to combine records in nFS through
                                Ancestral Quest.

                                S Douglas Cline

                              • Mary-Theresa Dameron
                                Message 15 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                                  My real question is that since FamilySearch doesn't really talk to
                                  FamilyTree since Halloween, are our changes being made in the latest
                                  database? If you are trying to uncombined individuals and click on the
                                  option to link to FamilySearch, you are warned on the screen that all such
                                  changes should be in FamilyTree.

                                  Mary-Theresa Dameron

                                • S Douglas Cline
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                                    Mine are being updated I FT also.

                                    SD Cline's iPhone 5
                                  • stew999@gmail.com
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                                      Why is anyone continuing to combine or uncombine duplicates in nFS?

                                      nFS is slated to be withdrawn in early 2013 - I know they still have to
                                      transfer Notes and any nFS Sources before then.

                                      The message is - get off nFS asap - do all your corrective work in Family
                                      Tree without the complication of duplicates.

                                      ===Stewart

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                                        If u have used family tree then u know the answer.

                                        SD Cline's iPhone 5
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                                          Because we can do it through AQ with minimum of effort.

                                          All my changes made through AQ to nfs are updating to FT. When AQ can
                                          interface with FT then I will use it that way. I occasionally go directly
                                          to FT to view my changes and to do some editing and adding just so I can be
                                          familiar with it. But I much prefer using AQ for that feature. Also
                                          using AQ you can see the various data on nfs that is not transitioning to FT
                                          and I am using Gaylon's tips to make sure the most correct information is
                                          kept.

                                          I know that most of the good features will be available in FT but they are
                                          not there yet, such as adding my notes or getting the notes of others. As
                                          long as the information transitions from nfs to FT I will continue to use AQ
                                          to make changes and to reserve temple ordinances. I believe that if we
                                          were not supposed to be doing it that way at all, the ability to do so would
                                          be removed.

                                          Leslie Vaughn

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                                            I am continuing to use AQ for all of my family tree updates. It is easy to
                                            do and I can have a nice red tag that shows me who I have checked in family
                                            tree. Once I have tagged everyone I am concerned with, I will go back and
                                            add more sources. It is a slow process, but I still find I like AQ for
                                            doing everything related to my family history research and for submitting
                                            things to the temple. Occasionally I hit a snafu, but if I close
                                            everything out and try later, I can usually do what I need to do. I am a
                                            great fan of AQ. It is so easy to use and helps me keep things straight.
                                            Thank you, Gaylon, for a fine product. Rosemary Hopkins

                                          • mkitchen@juno.com
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                                              For your information, using Ancestral Quest to "combine" followed by a selection of the Summary values accomplishes the same thing as a merge in Family Tree. It also gets on the change-log as a merge which you or others can do an unmerge if needed.

                                              So, for all intents and purposes, in using AQ, you are actually doing a merge.

                                              At the moment, AQ is much better at finding duplicates than is Family Tree.

                                              FamilySearch has told Incline Software that they will keep the old methodology running until they tell him to start using new methods.

                                              My advice: use the sandbox website (beta.familysearch.org) and practice a few merges and unmerges.

                                              As always, make sure that your are combining or merging records that are truly duplicates and not just people of the same name.

                                              In my estimation, a much bigger problem is records that previously have been improperly combined. With AQ, you can better see that problem. The other day, I helped a patron where four sisters had been combined into one record (Bessie, Essie, Dessie, and Mary!)
                                              In my own work, just this week, I found a record where a Homer J. Beck, b. 1902 in Arkansas was combined with a Homer C. Beck, b. 1890 in Kentucky. Looking at the person in AQ showed the different birth dates and places and gave a strong hint of an improper combining.
                                              When records are improperly combined in new.familySearch, it migrates to Family Tree as only one person.

                                              So: KEEP ON USING AQ!

                                              Merlin Kitchen

                                              Please note: message attached

                                              From: <stew999@...>
                                              To: <AQ_NFS@yahoogroups.com>
                                              Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 21:02:41 -0000

                                            • Bill Buchanan
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                                                Actually the two sites are still linked and there is some exchange of
                                                information. Names, dates and places are communicated, but not necessarily
                                                relationships. The biggest problem is probably combined records, which
                                                cannot be separated in FT. If you can separate them using AQ, please do.
                                                Otherwise send all the info to support@..., where wrongly
                                                combined records can often be separated by a special unit.

                                                Bill Buchanan

                                                On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 1:39 PM, Mary-Theresa Dameron <jbdmtd@...
                                                > wrote:

                                                > **
                                                >

                                                > My real question is that since FamilySearch doesn't really talk to
                                                > FamilyTree since Halloween, are our changes being made in the latest
                                                > database? If you are trying to uncombined individuals and click on the
                                                > option to link to FamilySearch, you are warned on the screen that all such
                                                > changes should be in FamilyTree.
                                                >
                                                > Mary-Theresa Dameron

                                                Bill Buchanan
                                                blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com

                                              • Mary-Theresa Dameron
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                                                  Thanks for all your replies. The Quaker records I am working on need a lot
                                                  of work according the current AQ interface - be interesting to see what
                                                  happens when AQ is linked to Family Tree.

                                                  Mary-Theresa

                                                • tomhuber.yah@gmail.com
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Dec 7, 2012
                                                    The only thing that AQ doesn't handle is unmerging previously-merged
                                                    records. It can be used to establish the "visible" records and it is
                                                    very good at merging records.

                                                    But for "unmerging" incorrectly merged records, you'll need to use
                                                    Family Tree for that. For correcting such mistakes as wrong gender,
                                                    you'll need to open a ticket via FamilySearch help. Make sure you
                                                    provide all the required information (FS ID, name, relationships,
                                                    etc., and proof that the person has had the wrong gender applied.)

                                                    One last thing: FS is continuing to work on its documentation. Make
                                                    sure you always are using the latest version for the "how to"
                                                    instructions.

                                                    Tom

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Dec 8, 2012
                                                      I just use AQ yesterday to combine one complete family. As Bill said, relationships did not transfer for most of them. Had to go fishing in FT to get them linked.

                                                      As for not being able to separate incorrectly combined records -  nFS Has this to say about how to do it.

                                                      "The combine and separate features are being turned off because Family Tree is now available.
                                                      Family Tree handles duplicate records in a new, improved way that is incompatible with new.familysearch.org.
                                                      If you need to deal with duplicate records or fix an incorrectly combined record, copy the person's name and person
                                                      identifier. Then use that information to find the person in Family Tree.
                                                      From there, you can resolve duplicate records or make the needed  corrections."

                                                      Maybe I am wrong, but I believe the old records not moved to FT and will all be deleted, so there is no need to worry about data that had not transferred. What ends up on FT being the only thing to survive, and we are to work with what is there to correct the data for our line - if this is done through FT or AQ, it is up to the individual doing the work.

                                                      There are very few records in my line that have possible duplicates, so I haven't had to manage any incorrectly combined record. Unless the example mentioned next counts as an example.

                                                      I have come upon a man married to two women named Mary (each with their own IDs), and his children split between the two women. One had another husband and family, so when I took the children that belonged to the other Mary off her file, and put them with the right couple, all I then had to do was delete the unwanted marriage, and everything was fine, both Marys had their right husbands and children. (Except there were children missing from my family since the relationship didn't work from AQ, as stated at the top of this message.)

                                                      I did run into a couple that gave a list of one or two duplicates to
                                                      check. You could mark the data you wanted to use from each file, and it
                                                      would merge. I have not seen any way to fix incorrectly combined record other than to just remove data that wasn't right, and add new data in
                                                      its place. Maybe that is what they mean by fixing wrongly merged
                                                      individuals. ??? Have to do a bit more searching the help files. :-)

                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Dec 8, 2012
                                                        On Sat, 8 Dec 2012 08:14:13 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

                                                        >its place. Maybe that is what they mean by fixing wrongly merged
                                                        >individuals. ??? Have to do a bit more searching the help files. :-)

                                                        Wrongly merged individuals often include a child merged with a
                                                        grandparent, creating an impossible loop. That has happened far too
                                                        often because merging in nFS was sometimes done without considering
                                                        who was being merged, only that the names were the same.