Re: [AQ_NFS] FamilySearch ID mess

    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 7, 2012
      The way I have handled this problem is to add another child with the correct data and then go to the one that was combined and edit the incorrect data out. With the sources for each child added, there are now two records with correct data in each file. The birth dates will put them into the correct order. I have not found any Vital Info that could not be corrected. It is merely to take the time to add a correct individual, then correct the wrong one. BE SURE TO ADD PROOF SOURCES FOR EACH.

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 7, 2012
        Sally under the present situation create a record for the second son with all of his information and correct links. Then go into the first son and remove all the incorrect information. Create a discussion on each son outlining exactly why each is correct and cite the attached sources to justify your information.

        Allan Hale
        WWS Missionary

        >________________________________

      • Allan Hale
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 7, 2012
          Elder Buchannan look at Family Insight's Ancestor Split. I believe that until they shut off the API it still works.

          Allan Hale

          >Since the big changeover at 10 PM on October 31, I do not believe it is
          >possible for users to separate wrongly combined records. To the best of my
          >knowledge, only the Data Quality unit at FamilySearch has that capability.
          >I suggest that you call the toll-free support number for your part of the
          >world and ask for Family Tree Support. They will need a bunch of
          >information from you in order to forward your request.
          >
          >Some users are complaining how much more difficult it is to merge records
          >in FT compared to combining them in nFS. The rest of us are breathing a
          >HUGH sigh of relief. Maybe ... just maybe, the madness (of combining
          >different people with no real evidence) will end! We now have the
          >capability of marking people as NOT a duplicate. Once the record is
          >recovered, I suggest you use that feature.
          >
          >Bill Buchanan
          >
          >On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 8:10 AM, Sally <mailto:fbsb%40earthlink.net> wrote:
          >
          >> **
          >>

          >> Is there a way to delete a FamilySearch ID? I have a family who had two
          >> sons born a year apart and named the same name. The first son died three
          >> months after birth, the second lived to marry and have children. Somehow
          >> the records for both have been combined under one FamilySearch ID. 'Set
          >> Summary' can't correct the mess because both have the same number.
          >>
          >> Thanks for any help you can give me.
          >> Sally Bailey
          >> mailto:fbsb%40earthlink.net

        • Sally
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 7, 2012
            Many, many thanks to Bill, Tom, Cleadie and Allan for all your help and suggestions. I have created a record for the first child who died young and he was given a new ID number. The second son still has all the information for both of them and my eyes are going crosseyed now. I guess I will tackle it in the morning when I am fresh.

            Thanks so much,
            Sally Bailey
          • Bill Buchanan
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 7, 2012
              Thanks Elder Hale,

              I will try it, if I get a chance at the FHC tomorrow. With the dump of snow
              we had overnight, the police have been advising everyone to stay off the
              the roads. We will see what tomorrow brings to my little corner of the
              world. We like to drive to the city each Thursday, attend the 4:30 temple
              session then serve our 6:30-9:30 shift at the adjacent FHC. But the weather
              has the power to change our plans.

              Bill Buchanan

              blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com