FamilySearch ID mess

  • Sally
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 7, 2012
      Is there a way to delete a FamilySearch ID? I have a family who had two sons born a year apart and named the same name. The first son died three months after birth, the second lived to marry and have children. Somehow the records for both have been combined under one FamilySearch ID. 'Set Summary' can't correct the mess because both have the same number.

      Thanks for any help you can give me.
      Sally Bailey
      fbsb@...
    • Bill Buchanan
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 7, 2012
        Sally,

        Since the big changeover at 10 PM on October 31, I do not believe it is
        possible for users to separate wrongly combined records. To the best of my
        knowledge, only the Data Quality unit at FamilySearch has that capability.
        I suggest that you call the toll-free support number for your part of the
        world and ask for Family Tree Support. They will need a bunch of
        information from you in order to forward your request.

        Some users are complaining how much more difficult it is to merge records
        in FT compared to combining them in nFS. The rest of us are breathing a
        HUGH sigh of relief. Maybe ... just maybe, the madness (of combining
        different people with no real evidence) will end! We now have the
        capability of marking people as NOT a duplicate. Once the record is
        recovered, I suggest you use that feature.

        Bill Buchanan

      • tomhuber.yah@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 7, 2012
          Go into Family Tree and you can separate the records there (you can no
          longer combine or separate records in NFS. You'll also be able to edit
          the records and "hide" (delete) any duplicates.

          I strongly recommend you download both copies of the FamilyTree
          instructions. One has to pertinent date regarding ordinance work (2
          October 2012) and the other, the updated material on how to split or
          work with individuals (use the 21 October 2012 for this -- the 2
          October 2012 is out of date).

          Link to the 31 October 2012 version (non-LDS):
          http://broadcast.lds.org/eLearning/fhd/Community/en/FamilySearch/FamilyTree/pdf/familyTreeUserGuide.pdf
          Link to the 2 October 2012 version (LDS) -- you may have to log in
          with an LDS account for this:
          http://broadcast.lds.org/eLearning/fhd/Community/en/FamilySearch/FamilyTree/pdf/familyTreeUserGuidelds.pdf
          Note: Gender problems still need to be handled through the help
          center. Be sure to include all the pertinent information (PID, and
          supporting evidence for the correct gender). You must log in before
          you can create any cases:
          https://familysearch.org/help/mycases?wicket:interface=:23:createANewCase::ILinkListener::

          All of this is current as of this morning.

          Also, there is a new build for AQ14 (build 7) that takes care of some
          of the problems that I was seeing. Thanks to Gaylon for fixing the
          problems.

          Tom

        • tomhuber.yah@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 7, 2012
            Hi Gaylon,

            The following are several requests for a future release of AQ. It may
            already be in the works, and that's fine.

            They all concern the same function in the Ordinance Reservation and
            Tracking System -- Update Ordinances.

            Generally speaking the program works great and I really appreciate the
            option.

            1 - However, if the ordinances are "Not Needed" (that is, the
            individual died before the age of 8), nothing is transferred into AQ.
            I would like to see the function record the "Not Needed" information
            in AQ when this is the case.

            2 - I always save the Update Ordinances report and I don't mind
            waiting until the first updated record has been located (although it
            would be nice if there was a checkbox to indicate I want to
            automatically update all records).

            3 - I always have to drill down to the directory where I save the
            report. It would be nice to have the system remember where I last
            saved the Update Ordinances report.

            4 - Since I may run the report every so often, it would be nice to
            see a date-time stamp incorporated into the saved file name. That way,
            I can go back and review what has been updated in the past.

            Thank you for all you do with this great program.

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 7, 2012
              The way I have handled this problem is to add another child with the correct data and then go to the one that was combined and edit the incorrect data out. With the sources for each child added, there are now two records with correct data in each file. The birth dates will put them into the correct order. I have not found any Vital Info that could not be corrected. It is merely to take the time to add a correct individual, then correct the wrong one. BE SURE TO ADD PROOF SOURCES FOR EACH.

              Since the big changeover at 10 PM on October 31, I do not believe it is
              possible for users to separate wrongly combined records. To the best of my
              knowledge, only the Data Quality unit at FamilySearch has that capability.
              I suggest that you call the toll-free support number for your part of the
              world and ask for Family Tree Support. They will need a bunch of
              information from you in order to forward your request.

              Some users are complaining how much more difficult it is to merge records
              in FT compared to combining them in nFS. The rest of us are breathing a
              HUGH sigh of relief. Maybe ... just maybe, the madness (of combining
              different people with no real evidence) will end! We now have the
              capability of marking people as NOT a duplicate. Once the record is
              recovered, I suggest you use that feature.

              Bill Buchanan

              On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 8:10 AM, Sally <fbsb@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Is there a way to delete a FamilySearch ID? I have a family who had two
              > sons born a year apart and named the same name. The first son died three
              > months after birth, the second lived to marry and have children. Somehow
              > the records for both have been combined under one FamilySearch ID. 'Set
              > Summary' can't correct the mess because both have the same number.
              >
              > Thanks for any help you can give me.
              > Sally Bailey
              > fbsb@...

            • Allan Hale
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 7, 2012
                Sally under the present situation create a record for the second son with all of his information and correct links. Then go into the first son and remove all the incorrect information. Create a discussion on each son outlining exactly why each is correct and cite the attached sources to justify your information.

                Allan Hale
                WWS Missionary

                >________________________________

              • Allan Hale
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 7, 2012
                  Elder Buchannan look at Family Insight's Ancestor Split. I believe that until they shut off the API it still works.

                  Allan Hale

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 7, 2012
                    Many, many thanks to Bill, Tom, Cleadie and Allan for all your help and suggestions. I have created a record for the first child who died young and he was given a new ID number. The second son still has all the information for both of them and my eyes are going crosseyed now. I guess I will tackle it in the morning when I am fresh.

                    Thanks so much,
                    Sally Bailey
                  • Bill Buchanan
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 7, 2012
                      Thanks Elder Hale,

                      I will try it, if I get a chance at the FHC tomorrow. With the dump of snow
                      we had overnight, the police have been advising everyone to stay off the
                      the roads. We will see what tomorrow brings to my little corner of the
                      world. We like to drive to the city each Thursday, attend the 4:30 temple
                      session then serve our 6:30-9:30 shift at the adjacent FHC. But the weather
                      has the power to change our plans.

                      Bill Buchanan

                      blog: http://billbuchanan.blogspot.com